Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Holy Macaroni. Possibly pregnant four months after giving birth.

(64 Posts)
Buggermeovaries Wed 09-Jul-14 20:15:45

Had dc2 four months ago.

Lovely happy content baby, settled in perfectly, completed the family.

We have been careful using condoms and are unaware of when protection has failed.

Five days overdue. Took a test this morning. Looks like a negative at first, but when looking closer I am sure there is a verrrrry faint line.

Please hold my hand. Talk to me. Feeling very scared. If I am pregnant, my dc2 will only be thirteen months when potential new baby arrives! I feel like that is so unfair on her.

We weren't planning on anymore any time soon, if ever actually. Tell me your stories of you have been in a similar situation. Unsure of what to do or how to feel.

cakesonatrain Wed 09-Jul-14 20:17:57

Eep.
Can you do another test first thing tomorrow?

passmethewineplease Wed 09-Jul-14 20:18:02

I think before worrying you need to find out if you're definitely pregnant again?

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with an eight month old. :O You aren't alone. You have options too. thanks

Buggermeovaries Wed 09-Jul-14 20:20:36

Oh yes I wil be testing again in the morning, if Aunt flo hasn't arrived over night. And the morning after that.

Oh God oh God oh God oh God!!!

Aww it isn't so bad. I got pregnant after ds2 with dd 3 months after having him. Feeding and nappies out of the way together

passmethewineplease Wed 09-Jul-14 20:23:47

Good luck OP.

Remember you do have options open to you if you don't feel able to continue.

Equally if you do continue I've heard lots of people say it is actually easier than having two quite far apart. they could just be bullshitting me though, I hope not

SaggyAndLucy Wed 09-Jul-14 20:24:39

how feint is feint? On a lot of tests you can actually see the stripe of the stuff that detects the hcg if you squint hard enough. In certain lights it looks like a line.

Annarose2014 Wed 09-Jul-14 20:27:22

Anecdotally I've heard it ends up being a positive when there's scarcely a year between kids. The kids become thick as thieves and great company for each other.

And the first can't walk yet when Baby #2 comes along so you're not chasing a toddler with a newborn. You're also still in baby mode so you just continue on without any re-adjustment.

lettertoherms Wed 09-Jul-14 20:30:16

Ah, good luck op. Test again in the morning. You could also post a picture and have us all squint at it for you.

If you are pregnant, I don't think your DD will grow up thinking it's unfair - lots of siblings with a one year age gap, and often they're very close, always having a playmate. I have no experience myself, but many say a tiny age gap is easier to manage than a big one.

barleysugar Wed 09-Jul-14 20:30:21

Aw it's not unfair on her, it'll be the best gift you can ever give her! I have two close together and while it wasn't without its hard moments in the beginning, it's absolutely fabulous now, just one school year apart, and they have the same friends, interests. They are so fond of each other they can't bear it when the other goes to a friends house!

DidoTheDodo Wed 09-Jul-14 20:31:10

I've got 17 months between my girls, and it was fine when they were small and fine now they are grown up. Don't panic!

AutumnshadesofGold Wed 09-Jul-14 20:33:34

I have 13mths between dc2 & dc3. I have to say I panicked a lot when I found out. I mean a lot (tears,snot the whole meltdown)!!!
But, although the first year was fairly awful it got better after that & they played together as toddlers beautifully. They're now 11 & 10 and are still close smile. If you ask me to distinguish between the 2 pregnancies I can't & I don't remember much from Nov 2003 until Xmas 2004!
I felt really guilty that I was depriving my dc2 of his babyhood, but I wouldnt change the way our family grew smile
Good luck op

Branleuse Wed 09-Jul-14 20:33:41

theres 11.5 months between my last two. Theyre so so close, but those first couple of years are a shocker.

I am however, still alive smile

elliejjtiny Wed 09-Jul-14 20:34:07

This happened to me too, the babies are now 13 months and 3 weeks old. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be apart from when induction was too much for my 12 month old C-section scar and it ruptured

Buggermeovaries Wed 09-Jul-14 20:37:44

Like barely there feint and you could well be right Saggy.

Not meaning to sound woo, but with all my pregnancies, I just knew I was pregnant. The penny dropped. Before even taking a test.

And with my daughter there was a 'is that a line or are my eyes seeing things' situation too. Eventually the line darkened after a few more days testing.

I have the same weird instinctive feeling niggling away again.

But I suspect hormones and feelings are naturally a bit haywire so soon after giving birth. It's going to be a loooooong couple of days!

Buggermeovaries Wed 09-Jul-14 20:43:55

Lovely to hear it all worked out so well in the end for all of you.

'Tis a peculiar situation to be in.

BlackStiltonBoots Wed 09-Jul-14 20:44:35

Oh what a shock!

I can't say I know exactly how you feel but I found out I was pregnant again when DD1 was 4 months old. It wasn't exactly planned, but we'd been a bit lax on the contraception front and we didn't mind if it happened.

Well, I didn't mind until I saw the positive test, at which point I burst into hysterical tears and had a major freak out. It took a few weeks (and about 10 more positive tests, a bleed and a scan) to get my head around it all. You feel how you feel, it's bound to be a mixture of emotions at the moment. Don't beat yourself up if you're all over the place.

Here's my experience fwiw.

I found that being pregnant and having a young baby was fairly easy- as DD1 still had plenty of naps I could rest when she did, and she wasn't walking until about 13 months so I didn't have to chase her around much. We had all the baby gubbins already and were used to nappies/night waking/bottles etc. The only bad thing was that I developed pelvic pain, possibly due to ligaments still being relaxed from first pregnancy, but I was still mobile as it wasn't severe.

When DD2 was born (12 months, 12 days after DD1 shock) everything seemed to go pretty smoothly. She was a really easy baby and a routine emerged which worked for us all.

I can't lie, the first couple of years were hard in some ways- mainly taking a toll on my relationship with DH as I was too busy with the babies to spend much time with him, or to communicate well with him. I had PND twice too. We got through all that somehow, and are pretty solid now.

The close age gap has been fantastic in so many ways. DD1 was in love with her sister from day 1- no jealousy- she was very concerned for DD2 if she cried or anything. They are very different personality wise and they could bicker for England but they are incredibly close and always have a playmate around if they want one. They're at school together too. I'd have that age gap again if I could choose.

Blimey, I've written an essay, sorry!

OpiesOldLady Wed 09-Jul-14 20:46:20

My sister has eight and a half months between her two sons.

She fell pregnant when son one was about 6 weeks, and then son two was a couple of months premature.

They both start full time school this September grin

MammaTJ Wed 09-Jul-14 21:09:09

There are 54 weeks between DD2 and DS. They are nearly 8 and nearly 9 now and we have all survived.

In my case they were planned though. I love having two so close together.

Itsfab Wed 09-Jul-14 21:13:44

I wish mine had been closer together. Seems like a really good idea.

Good luck cake.

Scousadelic Wed 09-Jul-14 21:14:24

My friend had her DS and DD 11 months apart. They were in the same school year as he was born in Sept and she was the following August but they all survived well and happily

carabos Wed 09-Jul-14 21:16:58

Friend of mine has 50 weeks between her two. They were shocked at first but soon got over it. Now they love the fun talking point of the girls being the same age for two weeks. People often think they must be twins except that one is huge for her age and the other tiny.

DD1 was 4 months when I found I was pregnant again. Then 3.5 months after HE was born..yup pregnant again (on the pill too!)

It was fine, and better than fine, having three in 2 years meant we did all the baby stuff at once, they virtually toilet trained themselves as copied DD1 and now, many years later the three of them are great friends.

However my DH's face when He was holding a 17m old and a 4m old and I told him I was pregnant again...it was a real 'you've been framed' moment grin

NatashaBee Wed 09-Jul-14 21:22:35

I always think the smaller the age gap the better - for the children, not the parents, obviously grin They will play together, be into the same things, it will be lovely for them to be so close.

sammy90 Wed 09-Jul-14 21:23:40

I have a 2yo and a 1yo with 10months apart from then. It was very scary at the thought of being pregnant so so soon. But it was a slip up with protection, extract same as you. Its been the best thing ever for us. It can be hard work but having good routine and a very supportive partner will make easier for you too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now