Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

GO TO FUCKING SLEEP DS

(28 Posts)
BerryNaughtyBoy Wed 09-Jul-14 20:14:10

I'm at my wits end. One hour into bedtime and still no signs of going to sleep. I HAVE STUFF TO DO!!!!!!! angry I can't get on with it because noise will encourage him to get up. I know this will go on for at least another hour and a half, coming out his room every few minutes. It's like this all the fucking time and I'm TIRED. I'm so tired. Last night I stood outside his bedroom for and hour and a half putting him back into bed every few seconds. I need time to my fucking self!!! Why is 3 so hard!!!!!!????? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Ps. Fucking Dp is working. I HATE him.

GirlWithTheLionHeart Wed 09-Jul-14 20:18:39

Deep breath. I was you yesterday! What jobs do you need to do? Can they wait until tomorrow? I'm sure that they act less tired when we really need them to sleep!

IamMrsJones Wed 09-Jul-14 20:20:48

It's horrendous isn't it! Such a magical age but, I find it the most difficult. Only 1 of my 4 DC slept well, so I feel your pain. Minutes feel like hours when you're waiting for them to GO TO SLEEP! Arghhh

Just keep reminding yourself, that this is just a phase, it will pass! (Fingers crossed!)

BerryNaughtyBoy Wed 09-Jul-14 20:22:55

It's just general house stuff, unfortunately it needs doing because my house currently resembles a shit tip and I'm working all day tomorrow. I also need to do some uni work but that can wait though for the 3rd week in a row

What's getting me through is I have an engagement party on Saturday night. However, I will probably be fucking knackered and want my bed by half 9 sad

nilbyname Wed 09-Jul-14 20:27:23

Tie him to the bed? Not really!

BerryNaughtyBoy Wed 09-Jul-14 20:30:53

I'm currently sitting thinking how to invent a safe way to tie a toddler to the bed. I'll be straight on the phone to Dragons Den when I come up with it.

DoItTooJulia Wed 09-Jul-14 20:31:06

Can't you stick a movie on, get him on the sofa comfy and tell him that if he wants a special late night, he has to be quiet as a mouse.

I had a ds like this and I found that the odd bedtime curveball helped. Diffuses the situation too.

I feel your pain. flowers

Iwillorderthefood Wed 09-Jul-14 20:31:23

Every time he comes out, say quietly "it's bedtime, there is no more of today left, I love you, but it's time to sleep". Do not deviate from this, do not react in any other way. It will be time consuming, but it worked for us eventually.

I feel your pain, am just about to go through it all again, but so far we are at just the 3.5 weeks stage.

I've given up with ds2. He stays down here until he falls asleep, I'll put him to bed and get on with stuff once he's Zonked. He'll wake up again at midnight and come into our bed.

<shrugs>

<cries a bit at lack of evening>

HaroldLloyd Wed 09-Jul-14 20:33:47

You got blackouts? I was having bastard murder here last week and stuck up a gro anywhere blind, which has improved things no end.

ElephantsNeverForgive Wed 09-Jul-14 20:34:45

It's warm, it's light, it's not worth stressing over.

Let him play and do stuff round him.

Spending an hour tidying round a toddler is time far better spent than an hour getting nothing done except failing to get them to bed.

The world doesn't end if he's up at 8.30 or 9pm. You don't have to tell the mums at nursery you have broken the British law that states all DCs must be in bed at 7.30pm regardless of wether they are tired or not.

Singsongmama Wed 09-Jul-14 20:35:13

I feel your pain, it is absolutely wretched. Can you take any comfort from knowing that you aren't alone?!?!

BerryNaughtyBoy Wed 09-Jul-14 20:38:18

I wish I could DoIt but that sort of stuff doesn't work with him. He's what one would call 'spirited'. In all honesty he's got the horrendous mix of his dads and my sisters stubbornness. He never, ever sits still. He's trying the 'I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, I've a sore toe' crap just now.

I just needed a bit of a rant before I turn into the Hulk through pure rage. I'd hate that, mainly because it would be me cleaning up all the mess I'd made.

BerryNaughtyBoy Wed 09-Jul-14 20:40:27

I have blackout curtains, it's not pitch black but still really dark. I've no idea how he can even see!

DefiniteMaybe Wed 09-Jul-14 20:44:34

Could you sit or lie with him rather than keep putting him back?
My dd is 3 next month and if I try to leave her to go to sleep by herself she's up and down for hours but if I stay with her she's out within seconds. I know its against parenting law or something but I'd much rather spend a few minutes doing bedtime than a few hours.

BerryNaughtyBoy Wed 09-Jul-14 20:50:06

I think he's asleep!!!!!!!!!!!! Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!

I've won!!!

fluffyraggies Wed 09-Jul-14 20:50:59

Baby gate across the bedroom door? Door open obviously.

I used to let my 3 play VERY QUIETLY if it was warm and light like it is and they couldn't sleep. No coming out the room though. Bed once it's dark. That was the deal. At least he's getting to the age where you can start to negotiate terms smile

flowers

OH my God. I feel your pain OP.

Nothing useful for tonight to add, but

1. This too shall pass. Mine are 10 and 8 now and go to bed by themselves with just a little kiss from me. The intervening years seem to have flown by.

2. You must have heard of the book Now Go The Fuck To Sleep. Hysterical. Samuel L. Jackson's reading of it on YouTube is not to be missed.

flowers

fluffyraggies Wed 09-Jul-14 20:51:36

<tip-toes away>

well done OP grin

Oooh great x-post, very happy for you!

DevonCiderPunk Wed 09-Jul-14 20:55:08

Oh 3 year old bedtimes in midsummer are so difficult. I seem to remember posting an almost identical thread to this one two years ago when my youngest was the same. He is still awake, having been in bed for 90 minutes, but being that bit older means that he is happily reading instead of needing to be glued to me.

It DOES pass...

BerryNaughtyBoy Wed 09-Jul-14 20:56:52

Haha hearts, I have to stop myself from playing that to ds when he's at it. I don't mind him playing in his room, it's the constant coming out the room that gets me. I might try the keeping him up thing tomorrow night though. Or else I'm
Making a toddle Tough Mudder for him to complete to really tire him out before bed.

PiratePanda Wed 09-Jul-14 20:59:26

Huge sympathies. We've given up entirely. Small boy now goes to sleep on our knees while we watch "grown up TV" and then we dump him in his bed.

BetsyBell Wed 09-Jul-14 21:02:04

We absolutely did baby gate on the doorway. It was brilliant. Caged in grin

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Wed 09-Jul-14 21:12:05

Had this with my nearly 2 year old tonight. I'm EXHAUSTED, a million weeks pregnant, loads to do and DH in a different country.
Put him to bed at 7, half an hour later I hear 'mummeeeeee! MUMMEEEEEE! Poo! Poo! Help!' followed by grunting noises and then a big thud as he climbed/fell out of cot.

Changed nappy, put him back in cot where he thrust his bottle in my face demanding more milk (yes he still goes to bed with a bottle, report me! grin ) so I make more milk and leave room, but then we have endless poo false alarms which resulted in me finally snappily telling him about The Boy Who Cried Poo until no one believed him and he had to sleep in a soiled nappy, at which point he stood up and kissed my arm so we ended up sitting on the chair having a cuddle until he fell asleep.

Bedtime - you never know what you're going to get!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now