Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Estate Cars

(56 Posts)
Tadla Wed 09-Jul-14 19:51:43

Evening! Trying to gather opinions on black estate cars.

There are a few used ones i'm interested in but they are in black. Would've loved a red or metallic dark grey.

Will my friends take the michael out of me for driving a black estate with normal grade tinted windows? The cars are german brands if label conscious people care about that sort of thing.

Anyone care about car colour?

If it has 4 wheels, passes an MOT and you like it that is all that matters

QuacksLikeADuck Wed 09-Jul-14 19:59:05

Black is the best colour!

Tadla Wed 09-Jul-14 20:00:39

I would buy it due to cost and have been searching months but dont really like black.

Tadla Wed 09-Jul-14 20:36:09

Can i bump this

superbagpuss Wed 09-Jul-14 20:37:42

black will show the dirt and any knocks and scrapes really badly

MrsJohnDeere Wed 09-Jul-14 20:39:43

We have a black estate with tinted windows. Love it but we do get lots of comments about it looking like a hearse.

snowgirl1 Wed 09-Jul-14 20:40:40

I've got a black car, there are loads of people with black cars. Why would your friends take the Mick out of you for having a black car??!

Tadla Wed 09-Jul-14 20:43:11

black estate cars like a hearse as per mrsjohndeere!

EddieVeddersfoxymop Wed 09-Jul-14 20:46:36

I had a black car......never, ever, ever again! I'm really fussy about my car always being spotless - I spent hours of my life scrubbing that car to keep it shiny. Washed, polished, one gust of wind and it's brown with dust.

Fwiw, I also had very, very heavily tinted rear windows and it never looked like a hearse. To be fair, it was a mini so it was never going to be thought of as a hearse unless my clientelle were 2' tall. It did however, resemble a van grin

MrsJohnDeere Wed 09-Jul-14 20:49:57

Well, although my black car does show the dirt (despite its annual clean) we have a white car too and that is far, far worse for showing the dirt - front is always covered in dead flies and the bonnet gets lots of bird poo.

Tadla Thu 10-Jul-14 08:31:32

Anyone else?

littlewhitebag Thu 10-Jul-14 08:36:34

I have a black Volvo estate. It looks nothing like a hearse and no one has ever said that to me. In fact people often admire it. I love it.

Tadla Thu 10-Jul-14 08:46:17

Ah, i looked at a volvo v60. very nice - it was a sporty version with silver wing mirrors. thanks for replying.

RedToothBrush Thu 10-Jul-14 08:52:07

Black cars are more likely to have an accident.

snowgirl1 Thu 10-Jul-14 10:20:37

I've thought 'ooh that looks like a hearse' when I've seen a black estate car. I'd much rather have a black car than a red car...unless of course it was a ferrari smile

snowgirl1 Thu 10-Jul-14 10:21:10

That should have read 'I've never thought...'

Mines dark blue almost black and shows up every speck of dirt but as far as cars go it is fab, drove 280 miles to buy it, fits loads in and doesn't look like a hearse at all. Best car ever owned.

OberonTheHopeful Thu 10-Jul-14 10:40:40

I have a black (by choice) estate. It has shiny bits around the windows and looks great when it's clean. Dark colours do show dirt though.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 10-Jul-14 13:02:03

You should get it. Volvos are great (and look 'wrong' in red IMHO).

rocket74 Thu 10-Jul-14 16:16:27

We have black car with tinted windows and think its great. Only accident was some twat without license rear ending me in middle of day. Went for black as our model is a popular taxi or mobility or van model so it would look a bit different. Not anti mobility btw as our ds has SEN and he loves it. Sliding doors a godsend for protracted buckling in of reluctant children.

We also have black car with extremely black windows. I don't think it looks like a hearse - if you've ever looked at a hearse you will notice they actually have clear windows in the back.

My family joke that it looks like a drug-dealers car. I retort that all the drug dealers are driving blacked out Range Rovers, not family estate cars.

Tadla Thu 10-Jul-14 16:43:37

Thanks for your posts. are there any others out there with black estate cars...

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 10-Jul-14 16:50:40

Yep, got a black A6.
I love it. I always think the old shape black merc estates look like a hearse.

ouryve Thu 10-Jul-14 16:53:09

So long as it's not silver or yellow, I don't much care about car colour.

We do have a black (slightly sparkly) estate, though. Not German. And we are fussy about brand, which is why it's not German.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now