Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

iPad iOS update to 7.1.2 now stuck on Connect to iTunes screen

(16 Posts)

I've tried the hard reboot and the 6 step reset thingy where you hold downthe home key while connecting. I keep getting thsame error about not being ableto connect to itunes or iphone server.

Broadband is working, i've tried on PC (very old,took an age to fire up as we dont use it very often now) and laptop. So i'm wondering if there is a server issue with apple, long shot I know!

Any techies out there who can help, or do I need a genius appointment tomorrow??

OberonTheHopeful Wed 09-Jul-14 16:59:49

It doesn't look like there are any server issues today ( https://www.apple.com/uk/support/systemstatus/ ). A hard reboot usually cures a stuck iOS upgrade (had the same problem with my iPhone and iOS 7.1.2) so maybe the genius bar?

This site is useful for finding out about issues with Apple products, especially new software releases. Good luck smile

thanks, cant make a genius bar appointment either! I am geting more and more frustrated!

idontlikealdi Wed 09-Jul-14 17:42:39

My phone did this when I updated it - took about 12 hours and suddenly unfroze.

did it? fingers crossed it unfreezes itself thenas its a 45 minute drive tothe apple store tomorrow

OberonTheHopeful Wed 09-Jul-14 18:31:27

Was it an OTA update? What happens (if anything) when you actually connect it to iTunes? Having a look at some of the Apple forums it seems a number of people have had a similar problem with 7.1.2. The general advice seems to be to use recovery mode (the forced reboot and holding down the home key while connected to iTunes) to restore from backup.

Yes wifi update. So I shpukd do the reboot (home and power keys) while xonextes to laptop, then do the hold down home key and reconnect to laprop?

Sorry im being dense!

sheesh! im on laptop now! clearly cant type on phone!

ive tried the forced reboot while connected but it still says server could not be contacted

OberonTheHopeful Wed 09-Jul-14 19:42:09

The instructions for recovery mode are here. Of course, it supposes that you have a backup on your computer that you've made via iTunes. Not sure what happens if your backup is via iCloud.

From what I remember if you don't have a backup and set it up as a new device then you have re-install your apps and lose your settings, emails, messages, files etc. It's been years since I had to do it though.

I feel your pain, Apple stuff is supposed to just work!

OberonTheHopeful Wed 09-Jul-14 19:49:33

Sorry, x-post! (My first one ever grin). This article might help also as seems to relate to the symptoms you're seeing.

back up is via icloud, hardly ever connected to itunes.

I dont care if i need to set it up a new device everything important is backed up to either icloud or drop box (photos etc), but at the moment all i have is a black screen wth the itunes logo and the usb cable icon.

genius bar appointment is tomorrow afternoon. unexpected trip to Glasgow!

OberonTheHopeful Wed 09-Jul-14 20:02:39

Ooh, I haven't been to Glasgow in years! Now I want to have a week in Scotland smile

It might be worth trying recovery mode as you may be able to restore from iCloud once the device is set-up. At least you might be able to use it smile

Mumof3teens Wed 09-Jul-14 20:02:59

Mine did this yesterday. Hold down the home and power keys for at least 10 seconds.

nope still notworking! I am goingto have to interact with DH tonight!! grin

OberonTheHopeful Wed 09-Jul-14 20:16:24

Could you get him to emulate an iPad? grin

good idea, but he is quite tickly so swiping would be out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now