Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

€500: a new dishwasher or a holiday?

(34 Posts)
PeanutButterAndMarmite Wed 09-Jul-14 14:36:20

Can't afford both, help me choose between

A) a dishwasher

B) a week camping with DH and the 2 DCs

frignorant Wed 09-Jul-14 14:37:36

Holiday. Life's too short smile

Suttonmum1 Wed 09-Jul-14 14:38:02

Dishwasher and camp in the garden?
Dishwasher and 2 nights camping very locally?
Ebay dishwasher?

Tough one. There is more mileage in a dishwasher and makes life easier, but, but..... I do love a holiday. How old are the DC? Can they be assigned washing up duty until you can afford the dishwasher? Or would they be happy to forgo a holiday to get out of the task?

Mrsjayy Wed 09-Jul-14 14:39:35

Dishwasher and weekend camping you would get one cheaper than 500 though

Branleuse Wed 09-Jul-14 14:40:03

rent a dishwasher. i rented one for £8 a month, and then they upgrade or fix it when anything goes wrong.

Then holiday

NorwaySpruce Wed 09-Jul-14 14:43:34

Dishwasher.

By the time you add up fuel, food, activities/trips, £500 won't go far on a holiday.

We once drove past Cheddar Gorge on a cheapie trip down south, because we couldn't afford the £££ to pay for all of us to go in.

'Oh look kids, super rocks, this is Cheddar Gorge whizzing past at 30mph' grin

Same with Stonehenge. I'd yell 'Ooooh THERE IT IS!' while baffled children were looking the wrong way and squinting at a blurry field.

I'd kill for a dishwasher.

snowgirl1 Wed 09-Jul-14 14:44:56

Holiday, then save up for a dishwasher when you're back.

StillWishihadabs Wed 09-Jul-14 14:45:38

I feel your pain for us it was a week in Spain or washing machine. I do love my 9kg load LG .....

PeanutButterAndMarmite Wed 09-Jul-14 14:47:02

DCs are DD 4 & DS 12, we live in the south of France, so we don't really need a holiday, but it would be nice! It's expensive camping because we want somewhere with water slides and a kids club so we can relax a bit too!

DS already helps with the dishes, DD lays and clears the table.

The holidays are long, so a camping break in the middle would be great, but I really hate wasting time washing up!

Mrsjayy Wed 09-Jul-14 14:48:01

That made me llaugh look kids stonehenge vroom grin I do that point things out bloody waste of money to go in

PeoplesFrontOfJudea Wed 09-Jul-14 14:48:18

Dishwasher all the way.

Mrsjayy Wed 09-Jul-14 14:49:36

Oh I have a 9kg lg its beautiful, op if you really want your holiday go and delegate the dishes

PeanutButterAndMarmite Wed 09-Jul-14 14:56:17

Now I thought you'd all be saying holiday! Oh dear!

popcornpaws Wed 09-Jul-14 15:05:21

Holiday!!!

Dishwasher

Definitely a dishwasher but you can get a good one for less than 500 Euros. Assuming they sell them in France, our Beko was about £200 and is fab. That would at least leave you with enough for some nice days out or a couple of nights camping.

sadsaddersaddest Wed 09-Jul-14 15:06:40

Second-hand dishwasher on Le Bon Coin and holiday?

PeanutButterAndMarmite Wed 09-Jul-14 15:10:03

It has to be one or the other! The dishwasher I want is just over €500, the holiday is the same (we could go camping on a patch of land we own by the river for free, but "it doesn't count" apparently!

Maybe I should look into house swapping!

KnackeredMuchly Wed 09-Jul-14 15:11:04

Dishwasher!

makingdoo Wed 09-Jul-14 15:12:10

Holiday!

moonblues Wed 09-Jul-14 15:17:29

I vote house swap!

moonblues Wed 09-Jul-14 15:18:19

TBH holiday outranks dishwasher for me.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 09-Jul-14 15:18:29

Oooh house swap with me, I have a very nice house in a village just outside Wigan. On the plus side, everyone here has a naice version of the Wigan accent (in case you've been reading that other thread) and we have an excellent Miele dishwasher.grin

CinderToffee Wed 09-Jul-14 15:28:55

It's difficult. I love a holiday, but I don't think I could manage without the dishwasher. It does give me lasting joy - I'm always a bit impressed that clean dishes come out of it without any effort on my part!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now