Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Hairiest woman I have ever known

(52 Posts)
ictory Wed 09-Jul-14 13:59:10

That is me not somebody else...

I was told laser hair removal doesnt have a good chance of success if you have polycystic ovaries as the hormones means it will still grow back. sad

Hair grows EVERYWHERE on me apart from the soles of my feet and palms of hands. (weep for me).

The removal is a nightmare and the only place I feel 'smooth' is arms. I mistakenly used a hair mitt on my buttocks and now have to use this every day nearly in order to feel 'ok'.

Just to be intimate with dp takes hours in the bathroom. I shave my legs at 8pm and by 9pm they are stubbly.

(I cannot get the pill to help the hair at the moment as ttc).

I am the only one, arent I?

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 14:04:50

how much do you weigh, how old are you, are you on protein mainly diet....

yes I have po too...

no your not the only one. mine is getting out of hand too, I just have to console myself that there is worse afflictions out there.

No I very much doubt it
it sounds awful for you though (although I suspect it's one of those thijgs that you notice much more than others). There must ne something that can be done

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 14:05:55

there isnt stealth, once the hair is growing its really hard to stop it. you have to manage it.

HecatePropylaea Wed 09-Jul-14 14:07:28

No, you aren't. I have PCOS and hair everywhere apart from my head, where I have the most enormous bald spot which requires careful haircuts and combover styling and a henna pen. I have to tweezer out hair on my upper lip and chin because the stubble comes through if I shave, (I can never get a smoothness with a razor no matter what I do.) and don't get me started on epilators. They do not grab my hair by the root, as the root is too firm, so it just snaps the hair and it is worse stubble than shaving

and neither waxing nor creams shift it (although don't use the two one after the other or your skin comes off... but still not the hair... <sob>)

The only hope you have is to manage the PCOS. Lose weight if you are overweight, speak to your gynae and see what meds you can have - I have metformin but there are pills you can take that are specifically for the hair so ask about that and have a pcos friendly diet.

ictory Wed 09-Jul-14 14:08:17

I am 28, 5ft8 and weigh 11 stone. I have been going to the gym regularly but for some reason I feel that has made it worse? Iamslave what is the protein link? I have read about going no carbs?

Stealth I dont think there is anything to be done.

ictory Wed 09-Jul-14 14:11:00

Hecate what does metformin do, I assumed it was for ovulating!!

I will discuss options for fertility at my appointment but I think you cant take the hair pills at same time as ttc.

I am definately not over weight. The nurse said I did not look like I had pcos because of my build..I am quite slim but I am still going to the gym regularly hoping it will reduce the hair..

The hair gets worse when I have drunk alcohol which is strange but not enough to stop me drinking occasionally smile

sad sorry.

HecatePropylaea Wed 09-Jul-14 14:17:27

my gynae said it lowers testosterone levels, and mine are massively high.

I decided to show you the hair. It is amazing what you can do with a funky crop grin

Pester the doctors, there are things they can at least try.

ictory Wed 09-Jul-14 14:24:34

oh wow @ the picture. You wouldn't be able to tell!!

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 14:27:11

try metformin, I was put on that trying to conceive never noticed hair thing....ie didnt monitor it with metformin,

i may ask to go back on it them hecate i dont have access to a gynae grin only doctor.

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 14:28:02

hectate

have you had blood tests since metformin to show decreased T levels and have you noticed less hair?

ictory Wed 09-Jul-14 14:28:42

Did you manage to conceive on metformin?

NatashaBee Wed 09-Jul-14 14:30:53

I follow a low GI diet for my PCOS, it does help - diet guide. I also take Metformin which has given some improvement in my PCOS symptoms.

I have heard of people using Vaniqa for hair loss but on googling it seems that's for facial/chin hair only - maybe worth looking into. To be honest I think it's all about finding a good supportive doctor (or even an endocrinologist) who understands the condition - so many don't.

I feel your furry pain. I've just had my second baby and I've noticed an improvement so hoping pregnancy has reduced the PCOS. I've tried all kind of hair removal but find shaving the best even though it has to be frequent.

I regulated my cycles for TTC with Agnus Castus up to ovulation and vitamin B6 after ovulation by the way. I had up to a year between periods and got to 5 weekly regular cycles. Just an aside that could be helpful.

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 14:32:42

sorry yes!! I did. In the time I took it, I also tried to cut down drink, and sweets ( still had them but less) did loads more exercise..i had conceived by time next appt was booked, prior to this had other dc but long gap between.

I wonder what long term being on metformin does for one....

NatashaBee Wed 09-Jul-14 14:33:34

*hair removal, not hair loss!

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 14:33:44

oh yes I also took Agnus castus to try and conceive...I dont think I had had a period at all up to three or four months before I found out was pregant.

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 14:34:49

Vaniqa

is hideously expensive think 50/60 quid and I have only heard its good in conjunction with other things...

ictory Wed 09-Jul-14 14:38:44

I have agnus cactus in the cupboard (along with everything else that I have heard works) so will start taking that again. Just ordered some B6 from Amazon. Thanks ladie smile

I am desperate to conceive but as I feel like I am always on my period I can barely dtd. So frustrating.

ictory Wed 09-Jul-14 14:39:51

The moustache hair I use Neet hair removal. Chin I pluck but on the body to me feels worse. I am not going to touch the hair on the rest of my face as I am scared it will come back thicker.

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 14:43:01

agnuc castus builds up, so will take a few weeks before comes effective and it has to be regular consumption.

its worth asking doc for metformin too.

ictory Wed 09-Jul-14 14:44:13

I was hoping the consultant would put me on clomid or metformin.
Will definately take the agnus cactus regularly. Thank you!

HecatePropylaea Wed 09-Jul-14 14:46:07

I haven't had blood tests, (care has been pretty crap, tbh) they just put me on metformin and provera because he said that having no periods increased the chance of womb cancer. re the hair, there was a time when it seemed like the hair situation was improving, but tbh it seems to be getting bad again now.

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 14:47:47

* he said that having no periods increased the chance of womb cancer* shock

what?! never heard this!

how did you get a gynae I have never been referred to one.

OP my consultant put me on it immedialty but the doc was also going too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now