Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

anyone else's reception children flagging?

(38 Posts)
DrLizShaw Wed 09-Jul-14 10:26:47

Poor DS fell over half a dozen times at school yesterday. He's covered in bumps and bruises and I'm 99% sure it's just exhaustion. Add to that the meltdowns and general backchat etc. and it's clear he's knackered. We're skipping swimming after school today and I'm going to attempt an early night for them. Anyone else have the same?

EarSlaps Wed 09-Jul-14 10:29:05

Yes. Lots of irrational tantrums.

EarSlaps Wed 09-Jul-14 10:30:22

Early nights no use here. He rarely falls asleep before 8.15 now.

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Wed 09-Jul-14 10:31:45

DS2 is practically falling asleep on the sofa by 6pm in the evening. Roll on summer holidays.

My two are a bit older and they are not doing much better. Luckily they break up this week. Let him have a pyjama day or two on the weekend, it really helped mine.

Yes. She's a wreck. Weepy, fragile, naughty. 5 is just too young for full time school, poor wee things.

twinkletoedelephant Wed 09-Jul-14 11:07:01

dt's are 5 I HAD TO WAKE THEM UP this morning this NEVER happens ever

they are in bed by 730 asleep by 8 yesterday DT2 wanted his bath at 4pm
pj's on at 5

DD (8) is also a pain she is silly and constantly on the wind up, and swings from manic to tears in seconds. We have 2 weeks left of school and i cant wait

DilysMoon Wed 09-Jul-14 11:08:18

My reception and y3 ds's are like this, both irritable, tantrums etc, looking forward to the long break for them to recharge. In the meantime trying to keep to earlier nights and quiet weekends.

Adikia Wed 09-Jul-14 11:32:11

I had to carry DD to the living room, brush her hair and dress her whilst she was trying to go back to sleep on my lap this morning, she cheered up when she realised I'd put some chocolate biscuits in her lunchbox and some sweets in her pocket for the walk to school though (I will probably get a snotty note from the lunchbox police but I really don't care)

At least its only a week til we break up.

DrLizShaw Wed 09-Jul-14 11:36:56

Glad we're not the only ones going through this. Mine usually flop at 6pm in front of the tv so with any luck I'll get them upstairs earlier.

BlinkingHeck Wed 09-Jul-14 11:45:25

Yes DS2 has been Whiney since half term. Can't wait for the six weeks holiday.

SaveTheMockingBird Wed 09-Jul-14 11:53:50

My reception aged DS seems to be still full of beans and himself, but my DD who is nearly 4yrs and goes to nurseyr 4 days a week (school hours) is always irritable, naughty and tantrummy these days. Can't wait for nursery to finish for her next week and keeping her at home for the next 6/7 weeks...before she starts school at aged 4 and 2 weeks...sad

Clutterbugsmum Wed 09-Jul-14 12:06:21

Yep DS is shattered. By 5.30/6pm he is a floppy sofa boy shouting at me THAT HE IS NOOOOOT TIRED grin. I've been putting him to bed by 6.30pm and he sleeping to about 7am which is good because a month ago he was waking at 5.30am.

I also have a tired, hormonal 10 1/2 yr old dd1 whio doesn't know why she keeps crying. The only one who is alright is dd2 who is nearly 7 and has never needed sleep.

KEGirlOnFire Wed 09-Jul-14 12:41:45

DD (turned 5 3 weeks ago) seems to be fine, but there is a tummy bug and horrid cold going around so I'm putting that down to them all just being run-down and knackered.

School is striking tomorrow so DD gets a fun day out with Daddy and I'm hoping to let her chill at the weekend.

Why do children have to start so young in the UK? It sounds awful sad

Yup, he is cream crackered. Big dark circles under his eyes and the daylight at 9pm is doing us no favours, as he's not going to sleep until really far too late.

PrueDent Wed 09-Jul-14 13:06:39

Dd is Y1 and shattered.

We have more tears than smiles at the moment. It's so difficult to get her to do her reading after school.

I just can't wait until she can sleep in as late as she needs and stay in her pjs til noon.

BadRoly Wed 09-Jul-14 13:08:57

Yup, and my yr2 dc, yr6 dc and I suspect the yr8 dc is not at her best. Oh and I'm more than ready for the holidays, I'd have been happy for them to break up a couple of weeks ago!

blueskiesandflowers Wed 09-Jul-14 13:11:55

Dd2 started in reception in sept when she first started she was knackered
Not too bad now
They normally get tired as hols approach

DrLizShaw Wed 09-Jul-14 13:14:27

Psammead I don't think it's too young, DS was driving me nuts more than ready to start. And the length of day is fine. It's the length of term that doesn't work for him. He'd be better off with four shorter terms and more regular breaks rather than the three terms and the long summer holiday. Not long to go now!

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 09-Jul-14 13:15:38

Fell asleep in time out yesterday...

DrLizShaw Wed 09-Jul-14 13:17:56

Im

DrLizShaw Wed 09-Jul-14 13:18:06

I'm very glad th

DrLizShaw Wed 09-Jul-14 13:18:07

I'm very glad that

DrLizShaw Wed 09-Jul-14 13:19:27

Aargh stupid phone!

I'm very glad DS's school treats reception as an extension of early years with a lot of free play etc. I'm dreading year 1, he's going to be wrecked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now