Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

morning sickness just got the better of me in public, eek

(25 Posts)
crazylady321 Wed 09-Jul-14 10:20:10

Im 14 weeks and done so well with this pregnancy with controlling the sickness apart from an occasion on holiday a few weeks ago.

This morning as usual I struggled to drink my morning tea and toast, but got it down. Walking to school we had to walk past some idiot having a bonfire at 8.30am in a morning. The smell of the smoke just got the better of me and I turned round and chucked up over a wall. All my kids found it hillarious and the woman behind walking with her kids looked mortified, they were too laughing and she was telling them to stop it. She asked me if I was ok but I was so embarrsed I just nodded and smiled. I dont know how im gonna live it down

Trooperslane Wed 09-Jul-14 10:22:31

Awww thanksthanksthanks

Poor you! I've also had public morning sickness experience grin I was about 16 weeks, horrendous morning sickness. We'd just done a shop in ALDI, I'd felt awful the whole way around. Came out of ALDI and just as I got in the car, I needed to be sick and threw up out of the door - really yucky.

Just as I closed the door and we started to drive away, a car parked in the spot next to us. The man opened the door and stepped out, right into the puddle. To my shame we didn't even stop to apologise, I just begged my OH to drive away. He couldn't stop laughing, I felt so guilty blush

ElizabethLemon Wed 09-Jul-14 10:25:19

Oh it's awful. Poor you. I remember hurling in a ditch whilst on a walk with my PIL. They didn't know I wax pregnant and I think they thought I was gross!

Oh God, with DD2 I was upchucking all over the place. I was so sick all the time, if I had wanted to be discreet about it I wouldn't have left the bathroom for the whole nine months. The one I remember best was in the gutter of Marylebone High Street in London outside a vair posh shop. Couldn't be helped. At least I was 7 months along so it was very obviously pregnancy related! So glad that time is over.

whitepuddingsupper Wed 09-Jul-14 10:26:14

Poor you, thankfully mine wasn't public but I was sick in the bedroom bin one night in early pregnancy when I woke up and knew the bathroom was too far away, DH cleaned it up bless him. I had a near miss in tesco too but thankfully the ever present pack of heartburn tablets staved it off.

DottyDooRidesAgain Wed 09-Jul-14 10:26:23

I once threw up in a builders skip at the side of the road when I was pregnant with twins. I had morning sickness pretty much for 6 months.

As I was heaving my guts up the builders behind me were cracking jokes about rough night last night/bad pint love/if you can't handle the drink blah blah blah.

I wasn't until I had stopped and was able to turn around and face the funny builders that they saw my bump.

Cue many apologises, offers of water and even a lift to my destination. grin

It will be forgotten so don't worry about it OP flowers

CurlyBlueberry Wed 09-Jul-14 10:28:01

Awww no! I once puked into a bush in front of the local YMCA at 8am... I'm sure the passers-by assumed I'd crawled out from there drunk or something! Hope you feel better soon thanks

Marylou62 Wed 09-Jul-14 10:28:49

Poor you! I was sick outside school once..in the hedge...a child I didn't know pointed me out to his Dad....Dad took boy away like I was mad women....me mumbling 'its ok...I'm just pregnant'

And on the bus...into my hands...lovely lady gave me a carrier bag and some tissues...never forget her.

And out side the butchers...Oh the smell....and...Need I go on? It will get better and you will laugh about it and empathise with others. Sending hugs...

nomdemere Wed 09-Jul-14 10:36:17

Oh, poor you. I remember sprinting down our road with toddler in pushchair just so I could get to our front gate and chuck up into our bush rather than the neighbour's.

I have vomited inside taxis (into a plastic bag), all over the floor at Kings Cross station, out of the window and down the side of my brother's boss's car (he regretted offering me that lift home ...), on numerous bushes and pavements, on trains and buses (again into plastic bags).

3 pregnancies, all with horrible morning sickness. With my third, I had two helpful toddler/preschoolers. At home, the 3yo used to run and fetch me the bucket, while the 18mo squatted down next to me and made "helpful" vomming noises alongside me.

I used to worry that strangers would think I was drunk (esp in charge of young children) but no-one ever intervened. Always have some plastic bags (ideally not supermarket carriers with holes in...) and a pack of wet wipes. Some mints and a bottle of water are a bonus.

mrsbabookaloo Wed 09-Jul-14 10:44:02

I have thrown up at every bus stop between my home and my work, and several times outside work. One time a colleague stopped to see if I was alright.
What surprises me is how seldom you see other women throwing up. I felt like I was the only person in the world who had morning sickness but I knew that couldn't be true.
I also worried that people would think I was drunk. Really, the morning sickness phases of my pregnancies were the worst times of my life. Never again.

mrsbabookaloo Wed 09-Jul-14 10:45:50

I have thrown up at every bus stop between my home and my work, and several times outside work. One time a colleague stopped to see if I was alright.
What surprises me is how seldom you see other women throwing up. I felt like I was the only person in the world who had morning sickness but I knew that couldn't be true.
I also worried that people would think I was drunk. Really, the morning sickness phases of my pregnancies were the worst times of my life. Never again.

Rinkydinkypink Wed 09-Jul-14 10:47:29

Its horrible but your far from alone! I used to be sick loads, I had HG and on the days I could get out the house id carry plastic bags to throw up in hmm. I'd have a bucket in the car with me and always carried mints and water.

thanks It will pass!

twinkletoedelephant Wed 09-Jul-14 11:00:25

when i was pregnant with my dd i would throw up at 11 am and 4pm every day whether i ate or not, i worked for a fairly big company and all meetings would be schedualled around twinkles throwing up times...... Everyone in the building knew - some would do 'the countdown'...

I would also quite regually throw up when i was driving - just pull over open door rummage for a sick bag- etc... EVERY day for 9 bloody months

when i fell pregnant again with the DT's no one would believe i was pregnant as no sickness at all - loads of gossip that i had just got really fat smile

sadsaddersaddest Wed 09-Jul-14 11:04:25

I once threw up on a train. I didn't have a bag, nothing. I had to take my coat off so that I could be sick in the hood. I begged the person who had been locked in the toilet for 10mn to let me get in, but he pretended not to hear (he was smoking in there).

Marylou62 Wed 09-Jul-14 11:06:51

And don't get me started on peeing and puking at the same time!! Stood at friends sink...puking over her washing up and the pee just running down my legs....she just made me stand on a towel and got me a pair of trackies to change into...Very good friend. I had operation on my bladder when DS was 6 and now can trampoline if I feel at all inclined! I must say though that complete strangers have been amazing and their kindness has always be remembered...I was visiting my Mum as my Grandma had just died...I was very sick...it was very hot and me and DCs were trying to get to the park...I just had to sit down as came over all sad, crying and faint. I sat under a tree at the end of someones garden. She came out and then when she realized what was wrong...bought me a cuppa and the kids lollies. She asked me if I needed to come inside too! I will always remember her.

Marylou62 Wed 09-Jul-14 11:09:38

What really upset me though was a friend telling me it was 'all in my mind'!!! She had never even felt sick....

WinterHasRuinedMyFace Wed 09-Jul-14 11:13:23

You poor thing! I was sick in the gutter out the car door on the way to work, in a bin on Regent Street (quite late at night, I definitely looked like a drunk) and in the beautiful pristine snow at a fancy hotel in Sweden - snow is great for burying sick (not that helpful mid summer in the uk!). And I think I had a pretty easy pregnancy...

You're not alone!

Thenemesisofthevole Wed 09-Jul-14 11:15:13

thanks for you OP. I had several embarrassing morning episodes. The worst was on a major road and my dh stopped the car for me to get out near the supermarket and I was mightily sick. Except in his wisdom he had stopped opposite a bus stop. With about twenty people all staring at me throwing up into the bushes. That was fun.

SanityClause Wed 09-Jul-14 11:19:42

I recently posted on the "kindness of strangers" thread about being sick outside an office on a Saturday, and being taken in by a passer by for a cup of tea with the security guard.

I was so grateful to those two men for being so kind.

TuckingFablet Wed 09-Jul-14 12:50:59

awww it happens to everyone

I hurled over a very kind shop assistant in asda who asked if I was okay as I looked a little pale grin
I also threw up quite spectacularly outside john lewis. people tutted and said young people just couldn't handle their drink nowadays grin

DramaAlpaca Wed 09-Jul-14 12:53:45

I threw up on a crowded train commuting into central London when I was in the early stages of pregnancy with DS1.

I was utterly mortified blush

crazylady321 Wed 09-Jul-14 16:45:09

oh deer least im not the only one. This is my 4th pregnancy and tbh ive had public mishaps before but none quite so spectacular think ive always managed to be discreet about it. I had to get off the bus to work a few times remember how horrible that was and to then get a lecture for been late sad

When I was having my eldest and still living at my mums I had the little bedroom so bed was side of the window I was sick out of it a couple of times, also having my son I had really bad sickness all way through and went to visit my exs mum and was sick in her wheelie bin, he had the plewasure of cleaning it out ha.

So far my sickness with this one hasnt been too bad more the queesy feeling than actual sickness its the exhaustion thats getting me, fingers crossed I dont get it bad towards the end like I did with my son and the twins

wol1968 Wed 09-Jul-14 17:00:01

sadsaddersaddest you should have puked outside the toilet door ready for the smoker to step in it.

But then I'm evil. grin

barrackobana Wed 09-Jul-14 17:03:26

Don't worry OP, you won't be the first or last. It's horrible but will go soon. Will it make you feel better if I told you mine was also in public, on a train! i threw up into the lap of the poor well suited lady sitting opposite me on her way to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now