Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

lasagne, how do you.....

(28 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Wed 09-Jul-14 10:01:14

Layer yours?
Mine always tastes ok, but ends up is a sloppy mess.
So how do you stop this?

I have to make a humongous one for on Friday and for once would like it nice.

NickiFury Wed 09-Jul-14 10:02:09

Meat sauce, pasta, cheese sauce and repeat.

beccajoh Wed 09-Jul-14 10:03:32

Layers of meat sauce and pasta. White sauce on top only. Make sure the meat sauce isn't too sauce-y.

Cook the meat in advance and let it sit in the fridge and firm up a bit before you put the lasagne together.

ipswichwitch Wed 09-Jul-14 10:06:26

I make sure I drain the fat off the mince as I've found that makes it go all sloppy. Then layer as above (meat sauce, pasta, white sauce)

FatalCabbage Wed 09-Jul-14 10:06:47

I used to do meat sauce first, but took a recommendation to do pasta first and it does make a difference. Absorbs any drips or something. Doesn't stick which I thought it would.

From the bottom...

Pasta, meat sauce, pasta, meat sauce, (pasta, meat sauce a third time depending on quantities and dish size) cheese sauce, grated cheese.

Bake for 45 minutes with loose foil over, then remove foil for last 15 minutes to get the grated cheese well browned.

whitepuddingsupper Wed 09-Jul-14 10:23:13

I do the same as Fatal, start with a layer of pasta and it stays together better. I also use fresh lasagne sheets now instead of dried as they cook much nicer and don't go all crispy.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 09-Jul-14 10:25:50

Pasta, meat, pasta, meat, pasta, bechamel, cheese

Leave it for 10 mins before serving, that makes a difference.

Most lasagne is soggy because people use way too much bolognese sauce. 8-12oz meat is plenty to serve 6 people.

Do a layer of pasta, thin layer of meat, thin layer of bechemel, sprinkle of parmesan. Keep repeating until you've used everything up or reached the top of the dish. The last layer should be pasta, bechemel, parmesan only.

Cook the meat really, really well, a good hour at least and make sure most of the liquid has evaporated - although don't let it dry out completely and make sure it doesn't stick to the pan.

The best one I've ever made used minced pork, minced beef, prosciutto, bacon and chicken livers in the sauce and my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Here's the bolognese recipe - www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/food/recipe271.shtml

Use just enough to cover the pasta, then just enough bechemel to cover the meat.

tilliebob Wed 09-Jul-14 10:31:10

I always make it the day before I need it. Otherwise it slips everywhere. The next day it's perfect!

momb Wed 09-Jul-14 10:31:51

I layer pasta, meat, pasta, sliced tomatoes and basil leaves, grated cheese, meat, pasta, mortadella, meat, pasta, bechamel, grated cheese (cheddar and parmesan). leave to stand for at least an hour. Bake for an hour. If I don't have time to stand for an hour I turn the oven down and bake it for 20 mins longer. That's 4 layers of pasta in a three inch tray.

CarpeJugulum Wed 09-Jul-14 10:33:16

Can someone define a "thin" layer of meat?

I use a pack of mince from the supermarket (so maybe 500-600g) and a dish which is maybe 30cm x 15cm and can only get two layers of meat, maybe three but really patchy.

Am I doing something wrong?

FatalCabbage Wed 09-Jul-14 10:37:23

You don't need to cover the pasta with meat exactly - sometimes you see gaps. So long as the pasta is all wet it will be great.

Maybe 1/4" thick?

I guess if you're low-carbing you'd change the proportions though grin

Can someone define a "thin" layer of meat?

I do it so there's only just enough to cover the pasta - slightly patchy. A pack of mince (aren't they normally 450g?) should be plenty, but if you're struggling to make it stretch then chuck a handful of lentils in.

If you put bechemel sauce on each layer then the lasagne will be plenty rich and tasty enough without having to pile tons of meat in.

momb Wed 09-Jul-14 10:40:46

Sorry Carpe: Mine is about 15" x12" and 3" deep.

You don't say how deep your tray is: I used to make 'ready meal' thickness lasagne in a tray a little over a inch deep and I think that was two layers. tasted fine.

KnackeredMuchly Wed 09-Jul-14 10:50:19

I was reading about this recently - apparently it's a v thin layer of white sauce, then pasta to start the dish off, then layer as normal - that will help it cut and serve nicely.

FatalCabbage Wed 09-Jul-14 10:50:26

Oh yes, depth. Mine is maybe 4cm deep and that's 3 sets of layers plus cheese on top.

SittingNextToSanta Wed 09-Jul-14 10:52:33

After the last thread on this, I now do the put it together the day before/freeze and cook another day.

Hoppinggreen Wed 09-Jul-14 10:53:12

Pop a bit of olive oil in the bottom of the dish and then make the first layer pasta. Cheese or white sauce on the top only

Yambabe Wed 09-Jul-14 10:59:03

I sort of cheat blush

Thin layer of meat sauce, pasta, layer of mascarpone cheese, pasta, thin layer of meat sauce, pasta, layer of mascarpone, pasta, then top with grated mozzarella and cheddar. Bake for about 45 mins at 180 deg in a fan oven.

It usually works out OK and means I don't have to faff with making a béchamel!

CarpeJugulum Wed 09-Jul-14 11:37:39

Depth is maybe about 3cm? I really want to buy a squarer, but deeper version but can't find one that I like which falls within my budget sad

Crinkle77 Wed 09-Jul-14 11:53:25

I leave it to cool for about 15 mins before serving and it just sets it a bit. Also then it doesn't burn your gob off when you try and eat it. Gino Di Campo gave this tip on This Morning and it does actually work. He also said lasagna is meant to be eat warm, not piping hot.

MimiSunshine Wed 09-Jul-14 12:28:13

I really recommend this recipe as its definitely the tastiest lasagne I've ever made although I do find i'm left with some ragu left at the end as my dish may not be the right size.
That's ok though as it gets put in tupperwear in the freezer for an easy meal over homemade wedges one evening.
lasagne

It suggests the following for layering:
For the lasagne, blanch the pasta in salted boiling water for three minutes. Spoon a third of the bechamel sauce into the bottom of a lasagne dish in a layer, then place some of the pasta strips over the top. Follow this with some of the mozzarella and parmesan, and sprinkle over freshly ground black pepper. Follow with a layer of ragu. Repeat this step twice until all the ingredients have been used up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now