Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone else's mood lower in the Summer?

(84 Posts)
CeliaFate Wed 09-Jul-14 09:47:26

I've heard of the Winter blues - dark nights, crap weather lowering your mood. But I love it.
I have the Summer blues - I don't sleep well because it's too hot or too light, I hate feeling clammy and sweaty, I never feel comfortable in the clothes I wear, I feel sad and more miserable in the Summer.
Is it just me?

spottymoo Wed 06-Aug-14 16:01:21

It was dark at 9.15 here last night and it was lovely the nights are drawing in.
I have started adding to my autumn/winter wardrobe now all the new stock is coming in the shops. Happy moo dance here gringrin

Rafanderpants Fri 18-Jul-14 19:10:02

Yam sounds brilliant. wish we were there!

Yama Fri 18-Jul-14 16:56:25

Gloriously dull day here in Scotland. I have socks on. grin

Rafanderpants Fri 18-Jul-14 16:32:59

Aaaaargh! Its too bloody hot!

cant open windows as

1-theres not even a breeze and
2- we live on a main road and its too exhaustpipy and noisy!

cant sleep, drenched in sweat here, me and DC so grumpy and growly as were tired and hot and uncomfortable.

HATE the summer!

threepiecesuite Sun 13-Jul-14 10:41:04

I hate winter.
Like a pp, I am only slight so I feel trussed up and swamped in heavy clothes and coats in winter, plus I really feel the cold.

fairnotfair Sun 13-Jul-14 10:37:47

You speak an imperial truth. I hate heat, feeling sweaty, direct sunlight, summer clothes, clammy nights... They all suck.

NinjaLeprechaun Sun 13-Jul-14 10:27:18

I find that I try to become nocturnal in the summer. From about 10 at night until 5 or 6 in the morning, the weather is perfect.
Not terribly practical, I grant you.

Absolutely hate summer. Love bbqs and picnics but hate everything else about it. I hate bright sunshine, heat, being sweaty, listening to everyone saying how wonderful the weather is and silly summer clothes that look absurd on me. I love the long dark nights of winter and feel far more productive then. My depression is definitely far far worse in the summer months. I can't wait for September.

sonlypuppyfat Sun 13-Jul-14 09:22:43

Loathe being hot my sweat stings my face. I go so red my face looks like a turkey cocks arse. I can't sleep everyone gets up so early and the days drag on forever.

FolknNorah Sun 13-Jul-14 09:07:53

I normally have slightly low BP too shock I wonder what that means then?

Hedgehogparty Sat 12-Jul-14 22:09:57

Great thread.
I hate summer and long for cooler weather and longer darker nights.
For me, summer means :-
Hayfever, asthma, skin allergies. Feeling hot and tired all the time
Sleeping badly, getting headaches, noise outside all hours, insects everywhere.....
Autumn is great with crisp cool mornings, lovely colours and better sleep

Victrix Sat 12-Jul-14 21:18:56

It has been far too hot in my bit of Scotland this week grin

It has rained today though so maybe that's our summer over?? <crosses fingers>

Yama Sat 12-Jul-14 21:18:28

Growl - I live on the West Coast. Right on the beach. No midgies here. I do remember camping trips when I was a child and yes, midges were awful.

However, I'd take a midgie over a mosquito any day.

WandaFuca Sat 12-Jul-14 21:04:52

Thank goodness I'm not alone in disliking summer. The nights are too short, and sticky, so I don't sleep so well. During the day, the air just feels heavy and as though there's not enough oxygen, especially in the middle of (my very small town) where the air and heat just seems to get trapped.

Though, I can cope with summers where we get 3 or 4 days of sun, followed by a good thunderstorm and a couple of days of rain, which clears the air.

But most of all, I hate the late-night noise - fair enough if people want to sit out or have barbecues, but not have loud conversations past 11 pm.

GrowlLikeMargeSimpson Sat 12-Jul-14 20:56:41

Yama - I have one word to say about your 'everyone who hates summer should move to Scotland' plan. That word is MIDGES. wink

It is nice and cool in the summer there though, even on the sunny days it's chilly in the shade. I've coped much better with summer since I moved from London to Dublin as we rarely get those very hot days followed by stifling nights that we used to get in London. And I shudder at the memory of rush hour tube in the summer.

MrFranklyShankly Sat 12-Jul-14 20:56:08

Me too OP,
I'm def a winter baby! I always feel like you have to be outside if the evenings are clear, everyone says to you 'it's great being outside in these loooong clear evenings' well it's not! I'm not a gardener so I have frigg all to do outside!
I like being inside reading books!lots of books! With big steaming mugs of tea!! Which is something you can do all winter long guilt free!!!
And I love running in the cold crisp evenings with my hat pulled over my ears and covered up head to toe, without anyone knowing it's me! Instead of thumping around the pavements in the warm clear evenings and everyone seeing that I am clearly suffering!!!! :-)
Yep bring on the Autum & Winter!!!

LondonRocks Sat 12-Jul-14 20:55:20

Oh, and I have low blood pressure too, and I burn in the sun.

LondonRocks Sat 12-Jul-14 20:54:43

Oh, I love autumn. Crisp, cool nights and sharp sun. Absolute bliss.

<dreams about knee boots and lovely coats>

Yama Sat 12-Jul-14 20:50:35

I have the antidote people - move to Scotland!

I do like the summer but I feel a Scottish summer is hot enough for me.

If it's too hot I get lethargic, sleepy and hate the pressure to get outside and make the most of the day.

I too, have low blood pressure. Interesting.

Sandydunes Sat 12-Jul-14 20:44:34

I am generally quite happy in the summer but I do understand where you are all coming from....especially what netty said about feeling that everyone else is having more fun than you.

Its the endless FB pics of people having picnics in the park and bbqs and days at the beach, while the most exciting thing I have done is have a cup of tea in the garden while the kids fight lol.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 12-Jul-14 20:13:12

I'm the same OP,I come alive on cold bright winter morningssmile

digerd Sat 12-Jul-14 20:10:01

My summer dislikes include stifling airless days like today. Makes hardwork of any activity.
I hate the biting stinging insects and eat less food and drink more so am up several times in the night to go to the loo!
All that back/all joints breaking gardening work to do especially the rain forest sized weeds this month confused.

Plus side no heating on and getting up early in the light. Also wearing lighter clothes and footwear.smile

Smilesandpiles Sat 12-Jul-14 19:15:07

I can cope with the wasps, it's the human race that pisses me off - especially in the summer when they think we would all love to listen to their choice in noise music blaring from their tinny phones or car stereos, smelling their burnt food, listening to their arguments and picking up their fucking beer cans from the green or my garden, not to mention hearing their screaming kids from 6am until gone 10 pm here.

There's something about the sunlight in the summer that burns into the back of my eyes, even on an overcast day like today...I draw the line at having to wear sunglasses indoors.

Oh, I feel right at home here. Summer doesn't like me at all.

I burn
I am allergic to strong sunlight.
I can't sleep when it's hot.
I seem to be top choice on the menu for mozzies.
I get migraines in bright sunlight
I have horrible feet for sandals (love my boots)

but I could cope with all of that if it wasn't for the.............. WASPS !!!

TheOnlyPink Sat 12-Jul-14 19:06:32

I can't believe I am not the only one! I thought there was something very weird and wrong with me. I can relate to everything mentioned. I hate the feeling that i should be out and about making the most of the nice weather, that i should love the beach and spending all day at the park. I bloody hate it! I feel so guilty that my kids don't have endless fun in the garden. They play outside for an hour or so and then get bored. I feel I'm constantly trying to find things for them to do outside, in the fresh air and sunshine.

Come October, school is back, routine reigns, all the good telly is back, yummy food in season. Evenings are dark, warm coats and gloves, cosy blankets and a whisper of Christmas to come

Hate the summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now