Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What's the Irish equivalent of the wordd 'chav'

(63 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Wed 09-Jul-14 09:23:50

What's the Irish equivalent of the word 'chav' and 'chavvy' please.

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Wed 09-Jul-14 09:36:28


RCOR Wed 09-Jul-14 09:57:26

No definitely not culchie, a culchie is what city folk would call someone from the country. I'll have to think about the chav equivalent. In fairness we would probably use the word chav also.

Hollycopter Wed 09-Jul-14 09:59:43

Spide and spidey in the North anyway, though chav is used too.

MyMelody Wed 09-Jul-14 10:00:21



TakingTheStairs Wed 09-Jul-14 10:01:06

Though that I think specifically is a derogatory term for a gypsy.

TakingTheStairs Wed 09-Jul-14 10:01:35

Yeah, skanger would be right.

PeppermintInfusion Wed 09-Jul-14 10:02:46

In Northern Ireland it is "spide", "steek" and more recently "schmick". "Chav" is used occasionally also.

A culchie is a country bumpkin type.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Wed 09-Jul-14 10:05:36


Flipflops7 Wed 09-Jul-14 10:06:05

Definitely not culchie. That's a diminutive of agricultural and could not be further from chav. Culchies are called hayseeds in England.

Knacker or Skanger.

Culchie is what we sophisticated Dublin types call everybody else. :P

And knacker doesn't specifically refer to travellers, it means horse slaughterer, btw, operating out of a "knacker's yard" or horse-specific abattoir, so probably not related to travellers at all.

MysweetAudrina Wed 09-Jul-14 10:14:07

Knacker or a skanger definitely. A knacker does not refer to a traveller in this context. Definitely not a culchie either. A culchie is just a person that is not from Dublin.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 09-Jul-14 10:48:38

I didn't think culchie was right. I think culchie is used by urbanites to describe rural dwellers. But it is derogatory.

No, not culchie, that is similar to hick. I would say spide or millie in the north.

7Days Wed 09-Jul-14 10:54:46


loads of ways to insult people

Valsoldknickers Wed 09-Jul-14 10:55:54

Skanger, knacker, scrubber (for the ladies, doesn't have the same sexual connotation as in the UK) and scrote (for young males, cleverly derived from the word scrotum of course)!

idontlikealdi Wed 09-Jul-14 11:05:41

used to be "milly" in northern Ireland

Glastokitty Wed 09-Jul-14 11:07:21

Oh god I'd forgotten all about Millies!

Mybigfatredwedding Wed 09-Jul-14 11:08:49

Yes, knacker is often used for traveller but can also mean 'Chav' can't it?

Culchie is just someone from the countryside isn't it?

Mybigfatredwedding Wed 09-Jul-14 11:09:57

Why do you need to know OP?!

PeppermintInfusion Wed 09-Jul-14 11:12:04

"Millie" refers to girls only (comes from mill workers).

"Culchie" is not necessarily derogatory, it can be used in a jokey way, people often refer to themselves as such (eg "sure I'm a bit of a culchie, I love garth brooks" type of thing). Or you use it to describe places which lack urban sophistication but aren't negative.

MILLYmo0se Wed 09-Jul-14 11:13:12

Yup knacker but there are parts of the country where 'knacker' would be used exclusively for travellers .

squoosh Wed 09-Jul-14 11:23:00

Knacker or skanger.

Culchie/Bogger are used to describe those poor souls who live outside of Dublin. They are much softer words than knacker or skanger!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now