Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Has your MIL ever done anything to make you think... (Lighthearted!)

(54 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Wed 09-Jul-14 09:03:05

'You're not a fan of me, are you!'

Everytime I put DD2 in her pram in the hall, I see my wedding photo... 1 woman on either side of DH, BOTH in a long white dress wink

I don't recall caring at the time, but I get a lot of comments about it!!

Anyone else?

Adikia Wed 09-Jul-14 09:15:01

All Christmas cards are addressed 'DH, DD, DS and family', saying that she's never once called me by my name, its always mummy if she's talking to my DC/if my DC are there and the Mrs or her when talking to DH, so maybe she's actually forgotten my name? wink

HicDraconis Wed 09-Jul-14 09:29:46

She sent an email to me (but to DH's email address, daft bint) detailing in a bulleted list my many failings to explain exactly why she didn't like me.

KarineAimee Wed 09-Jul-14 10:01:14

If it wasn't clear enough that I was unwelcome to spend Christmas there for the first time, when we turned up to find one (out of two in the room) single bed made up for us, I knew I wasn't just being paranoid hmm

Second year we turned up with a double air bed grin

My late MIL wasn't overly happy I was just 18 when I met DP (he was 25). And the fact that I worked full time and expected DP to do his share of chores didn't go down well either. I got a pack of tea towels as a present once.

Hollycopter Wed 09-Jul-14 10:06:10

When I saw one of my wedding photos in a frame, but it was one of the few without me in it grin

Disclaimer - I do like her and she likes me (I think!)

escape Wed 09-Jul-14 10:08:36

Oooh, I love a good ' Mad MIL Wedding' scenario - Mine isn't as bad and we get on, but she insisted the Bridal wedding car picked up her and FIL first and dropped them off at the Church before it came back for the Bridal party etc - apparently a ' tradition' but not one I'd ever hear of!.
I just thought 'If it floats your boat'..

TheTravellingLemon Wed 09-Jul-14 10:11:25

I went to a wedding once where the bride's MiL wore a long white dress and a tiara. shock True story.

She doesn't speak to me. It's a bit of a giveaway.

I don't mean that she ignores me flat out, but she never has anything to do with me if she can help it. I represent everything that suburban America (DH is American) thinks is wrong with Europeans and "elitists", despite the fact that my upbringing and DH's were remarkably economically, religiously and socially similar.

curiousgeorgie Wed 09-Jul-14 10:18:06

At the risk of outing myself...

My MIL really did wear a 'wedding type dress' and stood closer to my DH than I did!

FruVikingessOla Wed 09-Jul-14 10:34:13

Blimey, curiousgeorgie shock

grin

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 10:37:30

Curious!

shock shock and shock AGIAN

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 10:39:31

SHE IS really tucked in there too isnt she!

Mine kept addressing me by maiden name after marriage and lots of other stuff.

Softysoftlycatchymonkey Wed 09-Jul-14 10:39:38

Flipping heck! georgie

You gotta feel sorry for her that she feels so threatened and left out - it's child like.

My mil is the same.

Bloody hell, curious. She's practically mounting your DH's leg shock

By the way, the colour changes/ reflection at the bottom of the pic make it look like your DH is wearing shorts! I did a double take grin

tilliebob Wed 09-Jul-14 10:39:55

She put her favourite photo from our wedding up in a huge frame in her sitting room...

...a lovely photo of DH (groom) BIL (best man) and SIL (bridesmaid) gringrin

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 10:40:01

looks like beautiful wedding BTW

IamSlave Wed 09-Jul-14 10:40:33

there are no pics of me or my DH up in mils house, just SILS wedding pic and she is divorced now confused

Softysoftlycatchymonkey Wed 09-Jul-14 10:40:41

Where did you get married ? Looks ace. Were thinkng of an beach wedding.

Softysoftlycatchymonkey Wed 09-Jul-14 10:42:27

georgie - you should put the same pic up at your house but cut her out of it and say you had to cut it down fir the frame grin

curiousgeorgie Wed 09-Jul-14 10:44:13

Haha... Everyone of my friends comments on it... I honestly didn't care on the day! ( though there is a picture of her and DH standing under a floral arch and it just looks like they're getting married shock

It was Cuba. Paradisus Rio De Oro... It was stunning.

curiousgeorgie Wed 09-Jul-14 10:46:24

Adam - the photo doesn't actually look that grainy in life, it was only 7 years ago... It's because I took a photo of a photo in a frame.

Wow, that dress is not just a little bit bridal shock

My MIL is just a bit bemused by me, I think. She thinks I'm very posh and makes a big deal about how I'll just have to accept them as they are, then makes a huge effort far beyond what any other visitors get. Which is very sweet. But really not necessary (I'm really not super posh). She also can't understand why I'd rather be outside with my chainsaw than inside doing the ironing (I don't iron). I think she likes me, she just sees me as a different species.

mumofsnotbags Wed 09-Jul-14 10:52:42

No pictures of me in mil's house, She corrects everything I do with ds, obviously dont know how to sit him in a pram as she goes straight over to fix him upright hmm.

Also the fact she never calls me by my name and when talking to ds says "come to mummy" meaning her confused. Luckily ds is too young to understand shes a krank yet, but he will, oh how he will.

Ill make sure of it. grin

Oldraver Wed 09-Jul-14 11:05:34

My Sil managed to barge in on loads of my wedding photos, we were trying to have the lovely couple shots and she would be there on DH's arm. So my MIL has one of these photos up but has cut me out of it. It looks really strange as DH was leaning his head toward mine, so on the photo you see all this floaty veil around his head which is leaning away from SIL and her hanging on his arm

She cut me off my own wedding photo the cow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now