Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Your irrational fears

(35 Posts)
HilariousInHindsight Tue 08-Jul-14 23:45:26

What are they?
Do you know why you have them?

--Ceasing to exist
--Surreal stuff even if comical or for children can really terrify me.
--Gas masks
--Unidebtified liquid outside of my home or someone I'm close tos. Only if I accidentally touch it does it scare me otherwise it makes me feel nauseous and weak legged.
--hart things.

I think that's all that really is bothersome .
Maybe fear is too much but real disgust or loathing.
Interested to know if you know why.
I have no idea why.R

AnyFucker Tue 08-Jul-14 23:46:26

Probably not that irrational, but heights

I am petrified of them

HilariousInHindsight Tue 08-Jul-14 23:49:03

No I think that's quite sensible .
I'm not scared of heights but don't like dangling from a height- so ladders/planes etc don't bother me but a sailing would because it would make me feel sick.

phoolani Tue 08-Jul-14 23:50:33

Hydrangeas (sp?). They make me feel sick and shudder involuntarily.

DuchessFanny Tue 08-Jul-14 23:53:19

Edges ... So bridges are problematic ... Not sure where this one is from

Anything out of scale, think Gullivers travels, the whole thought of the 'borrowers' makes my head go funny. This is from a nightmare as a girl

Ants. Terrified. This is from ants invading my school lunch box as a child shudder

Clowns. Enough said.

DuchessFanny Tue 08-Jul-14 23:56:04

Along with the scale one .. Anything 'vast' or deep like the ocean, absolutely petrifying. I could never sail, or snorkel and was once rigid with fear on a work cruise when I made the mistake of looking out across the sea to see nothing but - sea !

EBearhug Tue 08-Jul-14 23:57:55

I used to worry about waking up dead.

At some point, part of me realised that if I died, I wouldn't wake up at all. I think my brain gave up being scared in confusion.

AnyFucker Wed 09-Jul-14 00:00:55

My fear of heights is irrational though because it affects my life. I cannot walk over cliffs/bridges etc with the kids (even yards from the edge) because horrible pictures of them toppling over make my heart race with fear and I cannot breathe until I get to the other side. I get a horrible compulsion to push people over or launch myself too.

Strangely, absolutely no fear of flying. I think it is fear of myself or others falling from a height that is the problem.

SpeedofSound0 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:03:38

AnyFucker

I am young, ceasing to exist scares the hell out of me.
I know my parents will die one day, there is nothing anybody can do about death. I don't want to lose any of my family but I will.

Most people are scared of death, many will deny that. I don't care, I am honest enough to admit it, but it
does not rule me or interfere with my life.

I live life to the full.

SpeedofSound0 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:06:02

Hilarious

Sorry, you started the thread. Apologies AnyFucker. blush

HillyHolbrook Wed 09-Jul-14 00:10:59

I'm scared of being ill/physically sick at all. I sometimes get pangs and a watery mouth like I'm going to vomit, because I'm so scared of vomiting, and if I'm tired or achey or feel a bit funny I'm most definitely sick and about to die. I'm not a hypochondriac though, I don't think I'm always ill, I'm just scared of being ill.

Mirrors at night. Don't trust them. I cover the dressing table one with the towel from washing my hair under the guise of 'drying it' over it.

I'm 23 years old, and scared of the dark. And being alone. I sleep with a nightlight if DP leaves me for business tripsblush and I still get those weird, unshakeable sensations of being watched and that I'm not alone if I think about it too much, even during broad daylight.

SnotandBothered Wed 09-Jul-14 00:13:25

Umbrellas on the underground.

I vaguely remember watching some film or reconstruction about the KGB spy who killed someone with a poisoned umbrella tip or was it a James Bond film? as a child, and now, if I am on the tube and see a lone man with an old fashioned (not retractable) umbrella, my stomach drops and I will change carriage or get off and wait for another tube.

Of course I know they don't have a poisoned dart in their brolly, and I have even rationalised the unlikelihood of me warranting a spy / hit an assassination, but it's no good. The fear is there.

It's just as well I don't commute on the tube daily. Frankly April would finish me off grin

And unexpected textures in my food. Crunch when there shouldn't be etc. Most people assume rogue ingredient or burnt bit, my first thought is always cyanide capsule. I have made myself sick before in order to avoid sudden death blush

There may be a theme here...

HillyHolbrook Wed 09-Jul-14 00:24:57

Ooh yes Snotandbothered

I can't take surprise textures either. It makes me feel sick, thus prompting my sick phobia to kick in. I have a lot of issuesgrin

I don't assume cyanide though, I assume tapeworm cyst instead of gristle if it's meat, and dead insect if it's fruit or veg based. When I was 10-11, my childminder found a dead mouse in a packet of instant rice, so don't even get me started on unexplained crunches in convenience foods. <boak>

fourforksache Wed 09-Jul-14 00:30:27

heights, cockroaches and any insect in multiples. eg, one ant = ok, 100 ants = freak out.

fourforksache Wed 09-Jul-14 00:31:17

phoolani, do you have that hole phobia thing?

plinkyplonker Wed 09-Jul-14 00:36:33

I have to look behind the shower curtain before I can use the bathroom. Not sure what I expect to find there - burglar/monster/assassin.

readyforno2 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:41:29

Sheep. Terrifying.
Butterflies. I had to phone a colleague to come and save me in November as I had accidentally woken one which must have been hibernating on a paper lamp that I stupidly switched on. It came right for me!

WowserBowser Wed 09-Jul-14 00:51:55

Red elastic bands

Wind turbines

BathildaBagshot Wed 09-Jul-14 00:59:21

Chalk or anything with a chalk like feel to it. Boak. confused

CastilianHhhhidalgo Wed 09-Jul-14 01:03:13

Quilling. Yes, that craft involving the little ribbons of paper. It gives me visions of my fingers covered in awful papercuts and makes them feel all weird and tingly. I have absolutely no reason to be bothered by it at all, I have neither suffered quilling (even typing it makes my fingers feel peculiar) related injuries or any particularly nasty papercuts.

If I'm out with someone and lose them I'll sometimes start questioning whether they were ever there, or even if they ever existed, at all blush

catinbootz Wed 09-Jul-14 01:16:54

I have an irrational fear of the dawn. I hate seeing it.

DuchessFanny Wed 09-Jul-14 09:16:08

Anyfucker that's exactly how I feel about edges, that I'll fall, or the children will fall, or worse I'll throw myself off.
My Dad lives near beachy head and convinced us once to take kids and dogs up there for a walk.
I was a shouty shaking mess 'COME AWAY FROM THE EDGE' ... I'm fine with heights though ...

shouldnthavesaid Wed 09-Jul-14 09:27:29

Video cassettes, tapes, and VCRs. I don't know why.

And bouncy castles, I nearly died on one as a child (got trapped between the air filled layer and the groundsheet because there was a rip and too many older children meant I slipped into the gap) however it appears irrational to most people. Got persuaded onto one when I was sixteen and stood in the middle shaking unable to do anything.

AnyFucker Wed 09-Jul-14 09:34:53

horrible, ain't it, DF ?

thankfully, it is something I don't have to confront on a daily basis smile

Hobby horses. Was faced with a whole box of the fuckers in Wilkos once. I ran out the shop shaking and crying blush I think its because I saw the horse head scene from the Godfather on tv when I was young.

I also have a strange fear of being dug up in hundreds of years time and being displayed in a museum. My family know I want to be cremated so that can never happen grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now