Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anybody else ever banged a front tooth?Feeling VERY sorry for myself-need a rant!

(23 Posts)
sunflower49 Tue 08-Jul-14 23:35:35

I have put a thread in the health section and some lovely ladies have been very reassuring.

It was my birthday yesterday. Last year on my birthday my Sister got VERY drunk and fell over and smashed her nose.

THIS year, my day out in Liverpool had to be cancelled due to the tour de France, and I have fallen over (NOT very drunk, just a careless accident), and I have a swollen bottom lip and my front tooth is very painful.

The year before that was just a let down!I had planned a party but the venue went bust!

Dentist has told me it will be okay, he took an x ray and said it looks fine but to be careful with it and it will heal itself-but I still can't help thinking it might fall out sad and It's still hurting . I am not very much bothered about my bottom lip, I KNOW that will heal!However I'm anal about my teeth so am very upset with myself, haven't even left the house today because I feel so rubbish!

DP is taking the michael and calling me 'gappy' but he says he is only doing so because he knows I'm going to be okay and it isn't going to fall out, so I'm being silly.

Me, my Mum, Sister and Niece are meeting in a large city tomorrow and staying at a hotel and going out for the day-and now I know I won't be able to eat anything and I'm far too scared to have a drink in case I become more careless and jeopardize its healing.

Has anybody ever banged a front tooth and it being okay?Does anybody else feel like bad things always happen on their birthdays?

Feel free to share any related stories, not just wanting sympathy I also would like to chat to cheer myself up!

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 08-Jul-14 23:45:14

Eek! Painful.

Exp dropped his weight bar on his face and damaged his upper two front teeth. They've gone all grey now. Sorry, i know thats not what you want to hear.

I'd say stay hopeful if the dentist is.

StrawberryCheese Tue 08-Jul-14 23:50:28

I caused trauma to a front tooth biting into a Granny Smith apple, two weeks before my wedding! God I was panicking, especially as it was a bit wobbly. Dentist did an X-ray and like you, said everything looked fine, it had just suffered trauma and the dull ache I was experiencing would fade. I go to the dentist for a check up every 6 months and he checks on the tooth and so far so good. I do think it has moved a bit though. (I had braces as a child and this particular tooth used to be at a severe angle) It's now about 18 months later and all is well but I haven't eaten an apple since, too paranoid.

Sorry it has ruined your birthday, I would choose we careful over the next few days but don't worry. Enjoy your day out with your mum, niece and sis. smile

StrawberryCheese Tue 08-Jul-14 23:52:31

just be not choose we!

sunflower49 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:03:50

Lol thanks stop :D
Did they seem okay and then go grey over time? Were they bleeding or anything?Did he go to the dentist? I'm scared now.

Strawberry that's the same as he told me-that it was very slightly wobbly but it hadn't moved out of It's original position and he thought it would be fine-what a nightmare, before your wedding! I'd have been a wreck!Glad It's okay though!

Dentist did tell me to look out for any changes in colour but he said that as I was leaving and prior to that had told me it wouldn't fall out,it had suffered trauma but he thought it would just take a couple of weeks to heal-would heal though!

Worst case scenario he said the nerve could potentially die and I might need a root canal. He didnt think so though. It is kind of painful and sensitive to the touch, I wouldn't feel comfortable biting into anything.

I got my front tooth banged by a child headbutting me. still a little painful at times now two months on. dentist also did an xray and said should be fine. it has a slight bit of movement in and I have to go back in september to check but so far its still there.

I was told the same re colour and root canal. touch wood all okay still though

sunflower49 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:09:15

Thank you makingchanges children have hard heads! Can you eat normally, now?

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Wed 09-Jul-14 00:10:58

Did they seem okay and then go grey over time? Were they bleeding or anything?Did he go to the dentist? I'm scared now.

They were pushed backwards in his mouth and had to be surgically fixed, but the dentist was able to tell straight away that all the nerve damage was there and performed a root canal on them both. The colour went pretty quickly (not sure if days or weeks as he was in the navy at the time and on base) and he bleached them to start with (got it done by dentist) but it was expensive and he couldnt keep up the bleaching so has had to let them go grey.

sunflower49 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:16:13

Ah okay. Sad story!

I guess mine isn't as bad as that, then-the dentist said it seemed okay from the X ray.

Bleaching is expensive, I really hope mine doesn't go grey sad

When I was small, I banged my mouth on a drawer handle and the family thought I'd knocked my front tooth out because it had vanished, but couldn't find it.
A couple of days later it re-appeared and it turned out I'd knocked it right back up into my gum! It was a tiny bit wobbly for years after that, but eventually fell out on its own and the adult tooth that followed it was fine.
I can't remember anything about the knock/vanishing, but can remember the day the tooth fell out clearly, and I think it must have been at least 5 or 6 years later.
DHs front teeth are quite dead, (I'm not quite sure what caused it, but the roots are completely dead/gone) and see-through if you look at them at the right angle so to speak, but have never bothered him at all. They are a little tiny bit greyer than his other teeth, but nothing that a casual glance would see. He has had a root canal on one of his back molars quite recently too, and said it was fine - everyone seems to churn out horror stories and OMG! A ROOT CANAL! but it was actually very straightforward and didn't hurt a bit, and his mouth has felt much better since. He hates having the injections and all that, but once it was all done it was fine.

sunflower49 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:24:36

PomBears that's so weird!You hid a tooth in your gum lol

Yes I know root canals are thought of like that!I never have injections at the dentist, my dentist uses the wand, so I'm not too scared of root canals-I'm not scared of dentists per se, but I am very sensitive to pain in my mouth area so I AM scared of pain!

I think I'd rather they did an implant than I had a grey tooth, but from what you say your DHs' don't sound so bad-I must be overplaying it in my mind. I just want the bloody thing to hurry up and heal so I can stop worrying about it sad

ladybird69 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:38:47

I damaged mine on a nectarine stone! It felt very tender and bruised and chipped the bottom :-(
I ate soft food for 2 weeks and drank lots of milk! Touch wood it didn't fall out thank goodness.
Good luck to the OP

unlucky83 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:40:17

If it comes to needing a fake one really don't worry ...
I head butted the bottom of a swimming pool at around 11 - broke one of my front teeth in half sad
Had a temporary crown replaced with a permanent one at 16 (filed remaining tooth down to a peg). A bit broke off the crown when I was about 20 - replaced and now 27 yrs later I've never had another problem.
Unless I tell them nobody knows it is fake...on my dental notes it says things like 'well matched' etc - and it really really is ...
In fact DD2 said something about my fake tooth and someone I've known 8 yrs thought it must be a non visible back one...

sunflower49 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:44:48

Thank you Ladybird , love your name!
This is one of my top front teeth. Nothings' broken off it. Everyone compliments me on my smile and I'd hate to have a horrible fake tooth that's noticable if it has to be taken out.

Thank you unlucky is your whole tooth fake, then or have they stuck something to what was remaining? It's reassuring to know that good, not noticable fake teeth exist.

Brabra Wed 09-Jul-14 00:50:31

I knocked mine years ago, after a week or so of pain it was ok. However it must have weakened it because years later, I knocked it again ( very minor knock) and the tooth fractured. So so awful.

sunflower49 Wed 09-Jul-14 00:53:14

What did you do, Brabra?

Brabra Wed 09-Jul-14 00:58:24

Had an implant, so it was all ok in the end. My new teeth are fantastic! grin it was very very very very expensive though!

unlucky83 Wed 09-Jul-14 01:06:11

I had half a tooth left - so they filed it down to a post and the crown is attached to the real tooth that is left....
...but as Brabra said implants are good now too (DP has one but for a side tooth)
But hopefully your real tooth will be fine...flowers

sunflower49 Wed 09-Jul-14 07:49:20

Brabramy friend had a false tooth put in, same dentist as I go to-I'm pretty sure it was over £3,000. At the moment though I'd pay whatever as long as it didn't look awful.

I have just asked him how much it was via text.

unlucky I thought it was hurting a lot less today then I brushed my teeth and , I dont know if It's something other people do but when I have brushed my teeth, I sort of wrap my lips around my top teeth and when I did this-ouch!

DP stretched in his sleep and put his arm over my mouth as well grrr

I had a horrible dream last night that it was brown and rotten when I woke up!When I actuallly did wake up I rushed to the mirror and was very chuffed to discover it was looking okay!

It isn't hurting now, as I just don't do anything to it-not even a slight ache. I say this is a good sign, right?

sunflower49 Thu 10-Jul-14 21:29:10

The pain isn't as bad now, no changes in colour or anything. I'm becoming a bit more hopeful that it will be okay...

gonerogue Thu 10-Jul-14 21:35:47

Sunflower my DD knocked her tooth against her friend's head about 3 months ago.

After a week we noticed it was gone grey and discoloured. Dentist said it might just be bruised - and fast forward to now it's gone back to its lovely white colour. Takes a long time to heal.

sunflower49 Thu 10-Jul-14 22:12:21

Thank you for the reassurance, gonerouge smile I am going to go back to the dentist as soon as possible and see what he thinks of the healing that's taken place so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now