Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Please don't make me post in AIBU!

(20 Posts)
Elnemo Tue 08-Jul-14 22:29:13

I originally posted in 30 days only but here seems to get more traffic. I recently got offered a job one grade lower than what I applied for! Does this strike anyone as odd rude and unprofessional ? I don't know what to think anymore. I'm shocked and disappointed, feel like I've had my time wasted sad and lost a days pay

Do employers do this a lot these days?

scarletforya Tue 08-Jul-14 22:31:33

Was it a job you applied for?

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 08-Jul-14 22:31:53

You'll have to give a bit more detail.

Is this a job you applied for?
Did someone randomly approach you and ask you to work for them?
Has your employer offered you this job/demotion?

Why disappointed? Dont take the job!

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 08-Jul-14 22:33:11

Ah ok. So yes you applied for a job and they've said no you cant have it but you can have this less good one?

Do you want it? If not just decline it.

Bifauxnen Tue 08-Jul-14 22:35:37

sounds like you already have a job so are in a position to pick and choose. Reject it if it doesn't suit. But I don't think I could help being a bit affronted if it was me.

BookABooSue Tue 08-Jul-14 22:37:39

It's not entirely clear what happened. Were there two posts and they've offered you one at a lower grade?
Or is there only one post which was advertised at GradeA but they've offered it to you at a lesser GradeB ?

Either way I'd give them a call and explain why you are worth the original grading. I'd also make it clear that you'll only accept at the original grading.

It doesn't happen often but sometimes (especially ime if a recruitment agency is involved) then there can be a discrepancy in the grading. Usually the original grading can be reinstated.

Elnemo Tue 08-Jul-14 22:37:49

Yep I applied for it and no it's not with my current employer. I have declined it but I am curious whether this is normal behaviour for an employer these days as I've never encountered this before (25 years working life).

littlewhitebag Tue 08-Jul-14 22:40:19

It seems to me that you didn't get the original post but the employers liked you enough to offer you another position they had to fill. It's up to you to accept it or not. I don't think it is rude or unprofessional. I think it is an employer trying to fill positions.

Elnemo Tue 08-Jul-14 22:41:44

Posts were advertised at GradeA but i was offered at lesser GradeB. I couldn't get them to budge on grade so declined. Ironically the recruitment agency i currently work for is actually paying more than the lesser GradeB (but less than the GradeA hence why I originally applied for job)

Elnemo Tue 08-Jul-14 22:43:00

Bifauxnen affronted - you got it smile

Elnemo Tue 08-Jul-14 22:46:13

"I think it is an employer trying to fill positions" iswym littlewhitebag. Perhaps I'm being over sensitive. I suppose it just surprised me coming from a large, public sector organisation. I probably would have been less surprised if it was an private SME

Elnemo Tue 08-Jul-14 22:47:44

Does anyone actually have experience of this - from either side of the table?

Bifauxnen Tue 08-Jul-14 22:53:36

<idiot alert> no experience but if the job they are offering you isn't much different from the one they offered I would say they were trying to get you on the cheap. But like I say, I have no experience.

BookABooSue Tue 08-Jul-14 23:01:47

Elnemo yy I have experience of it. That's why I posted upthread.

I applied for a job advertised at one grade. They called to offer me the post and said it was a different lower grade. I said I couldn't accept it. They increased it to the original grade.

I think the situation arose in my instance for two reasons (1) because they were between budgets when they advertised the post (ie in the process of finalising budgets for the year ahead) so weren't exactly sure what they could offer (2) the recruitment agency advertised it at the higher amount because they felt it was commensurate with it being an SMT post

From the other side of the table, I've also interviewed and then offered someone the post at a lower grading because they have been lacking one specific area of expertise. When I offered the post I made it clear why it was at the lower grading and also that if they undertook specific training (which we would fund and provide during working hours) then within 6 months it would be increased to the original grading.

hth

Bifauxnen Tue 08-Jul-14 23:07:14

^wot she sed

kickassangel Tue 08-Jul-14 23:07:40

Years ago I applied for a paid job in part time youth work. Apparently I was really great so they offered me an unpaid post, telling me that if I volunteered I would be more likely to get a paid post in the future.

Felt suspiciously like they were trying to recruit volunteers then they would promote someone internally.

Elnemo Tue 08-Jul-14 23:12:16

thanks everyone that's replied you've actually calmed me down grin

Ah I see book was really interested to read that. tbh i actually would have been happy with your view from the interviewer side of the table - that seems perfectly reasonable and fair to me. unfortunately it wasn't this way for me this time. I'm more than happy to train and can actually already do what they say I need (i currently do it in my present job) but I don't have the "correct" qualification (they can't accept my "as equivalent" as equivalent unfortunately). i obviously could consider self-funding the "correct" qualification but at a few hundred pounds I need to be sure of earning it back.

Elnemo Tue 08-Jul-14 23:13:16

Wow the front shock

Elnemo Tue 08-Jul-14 23:14:36

that was at kickassangel. I'm truly naive grin

MaryAnnTheDasher Wed 09-Jul-14 05:15:28

Elnemo- i recently interviewed 2 people for a role and one of them wasn't strong enough however, another role (lower grade) become vacant just before i did the interviews and i spoke to the unsuccessful candidate was very honest with him about why he wasn't getting the role and offered him the chance to interview for the other role there and then. He was a bit taken aback but that was to be expected.
He actually got the other job and is doing really well. In my experience i usually only offer someone a role if i know they can go in and do a very good job, not need too much training etc. If he's got the original job he would have been a bit of his depth which wouldn't have been good for the company but i think just as importantly it would have been horrible for him.

I've been on the other side and was given a job which at the time was too 'high up' for me. I was miserable and it totally knocked my confidence.

don't know if this is why you didn't get offered the higher grade though but sounds like you impressed them anyway to be still offered a job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now