Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What's the scariest/freakiest thing that almost but never happened to you?

(127 Posts)
CantThinkOfAGoodUserName Tue 08-Jul-14 21:18:05

Few years ago I was watching law abiding citizen mainly for Gerard butler with my DP and it was about 11pm on a Sunday night.
I don't m
Know if you have seen the film but if you don't want to read a spoiler then I give you a chance now to stop reading and go and find another thread or eat some chocolate, drink some wine.
Ok so me and DP are watching the film in the dark and it begins with the baddies knocking on Mr Butlers door and barging in to kill his wife while he watched iirc. It was all a bit thriller like and all of a sudden we have a banging on our door!

We both absolutely shit ourselves and didn't answer the door but that was scary I tell you
Ah well, bet your glad you kept up with this post

BOFster Tue 08-Jul-14 21:20:49

It was probably a neighbour with a parcel for you or something, you noodle grin.

scarffiend Tue 08-Jul-14 21:25:57

A number of years ago, my then DP and I rented a flat where the kitchen led through to the bedroom. The radiator was beside the bedroom/kitchen door and the window above that, with a basement under the bedroom which housed the boiler. One night, the boiler went on fire, directly under the radiator. It burned through the night and the following day, when my husband went out to work and I went to see some friends - I also had a cold so didn't smell anything untoward. When DH got home from work, he thought there was a BBQ then quickly realised it was our flat on fire. After many hours, the fire had burnt through the joists in the bedroom floor and up through the floor, he got there just in time to stop it taking out the entire flat. The firemen told us that if we had been in our beds we would have been burnt alive because of the location of the window and door, our only two escape routes. A few hours made the difference between us living and dying. A scary prospect, I can tell you!

shouldnthavesaid Tue 08-Jul-14 21:27:12

Man in a green jeep stopped my sister and I when I was about nine, she'd have been seven or eight, asked for directions and suggested we come in and show him. We were wearing school dresses, and we'd just walked into our garden from school. Thank God my mum was watching and came out to see what was going on, thus he drove off sharpish - because a fortnight later, my neighbour who was twelve was raped walking home by a strange man. Her description matched the man that stopped us.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 08-Jul-14 21:30:53

A few weeks ago we were on the M25 in heavy rain and the car in front of us stopped so suddenly that we couldn't stop in time and had to weave between cars to avoid ploughing into the back of them. I honestly thought we were going to die, it was horrible.

Shouldnthavesaid that is awful sad

These are sending shivers up my spine.

smellyfishead Tue 08-Jul-14 21:40:23

when I was about 10 my bio mum was due in court over allegations that our dog had bit someone, she had no childcare so I was due to go along too. On the morning of court I woke up with a bad bug and couldn't stop being sick so my bio mum left me and went to attend court.

Later that day I found out she had had a car accident, she drove a 3 wheeler and had been going down/up (don't remember) a hill, obviously had hit a kerb and the force tipped the reliant robin on its side where it then proceeded to slide down the hill on its side at great speed.

The whole of the passenger side was scraped very badly and her handbag had been shredded to smithereens as the passenger window had been open and as it tipped on its side the handbag fell against the open window.

It still sends shivers down my spine thinking that I should of been in the car that day and would of been on the passenger side.....

chloecorey Tue 08-Jul-14 21:45:27

Scary stuff, but intriguing to read more so just marking my place brew

CantThinkOfAGoodUserName Tue 08-Jul-14 21:47:33

Jeez I'm not sure I should've asked this now! These are awful compared to my stranger knocking

Fcukfifa Tue 08-Jul-14 21:49:59

Similar to a pps story where a couple of men in a car stopped me and my friend and asked for directions, kept saying they couldn't hear and one lunged for us, luckily we jumped away and ran, right in front of our house too!

Not so long ago I was cooking dinner and stepped away to wash a few pots and a really heavy and large glass lid from our wok style pan fell off the top of the cupboard just above where I was standing and smashed on the floor. Would have probably caved my head in!

DrLizShaw Tue 08-Jul-14 21:54:50

When I was about 19 - 20, I was walking to work, on the grass verge alongside the flow of traffic. It had started to rain and a van pulled up next to me. The driver asked me where I was going and told me to get in, he'd give me a lift. He was very insistent but I refused. The thing that got me was that I'm short and had my hair in pigtails and when I turned to look at him he was obviously taken aback and was expecting someone much younger rather than an adult. I think I reported it to the police; it could have been a random act of kindness but I would've felt terrible if someone had been attacked and I hadn't flagged it.

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Tue 08-Jul-14 21:55:48

Horrible experiences for pps sad

The main one I remember is more humorous.
I was walking back across to home through the woods in the dark - I don't use a torch as I find it makes it more difficult to see. And they're 'my' woods.
I could hear shuffling and stopping, shuffling and stopping and cocked an ear as it sounded like it needed checking out.
I swung back around through some trees behind the noise. I could see a person moving tree to tree and it looked as if they were sort of hiding behind them before moving on.
So I decided to follow and make sure no nastiness was about to occur.
I start to walk the path making myself quite clear, they speed up, I speed up...

Turns out I was chasing my neighbour's dad through the woods. We both thought we were following each other - he was on a visit and pissed as a fart without a lamp hence shuffling between the trees he was using to keep himself upright. He'd had no idea I had been in front of him but noticed me coming up apace behind him and thought I was out to do him in so shuffled faster. I thought he had had ambitions to do nefarious things to me and was shuffling off to flee. It was like some farcical, rural, spy film if it had consisted of the world's slowest most boring pursuit.
So I was both nearly murdered and murderer in the woods - except I wasn't, I just scared the shit out of a drunk man.
Whoops!

Mybigfatredwedding Tue 08-Jul-14 21:57:55

Not all that freaky but when i was travelling in 2004 with my friend we stayed in a beachfront bungalow on Koh Phi phi in thailand and we were sat in bed one day chatting shit as we always did. We started talking about what the next 'major world disaster' might be (grim i know) and how awful it would be etc etc.

A few of months later that next 'major world disaster' swept away the very bungalow we had that conversation in.

It wasnt exactly a close call or anything as several months passed, but i do think about the fact that had we been there we would have still been in bed when it hit and we basically wouldnt ave stood a chance like so many poor people that day sad

ajandjjmum Tue 08-Jul-14 21:58:47

Burglars smashed the door down in our house, as DD was watching a burglary on TV - she was only 11 - still mentions the connection from time to time!

postcardofagoldenretriever Tue 08-Jul-14 22:04:29

When I was about 17 I was alone in the house, vacuuming my bedroom one day with our old upright vacuum cleaner, and was holding the flex up in my hand to keep it out of the way. It took me about ten minutes of walking around the room, vacuuming in corners etc., I was daydreaming away while I did it. When I stopped, I bent down to pull the plug out and when I stood up I looked at the flex - centimetre from where I was holding it the wire had split and a huge piece of live wire was exposed underneath right next to my hand. My blood ran cold at the thought that it was only pure random luck that had stopped me from being electrocuted sad

Morrigu Tue 08-Jul-14 22:09:24

Arrived home ten minutes earlier than the car thieves that stole my parents car in the small hours of the morning. Next door neighbour had saw both me arrive and car drive off but thought nothing of it. Car was found burnt out with a big knife in it.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Tue 08-Jul-14 22:19:24

I've posted this before about me at 3 walking from the infirmary to my mum's cabin from end to end and down stairs in the dead of night when emigrating to Australia. I shudder now.

merlotbythefire Tue 08-Jul-14 22:19:24

DH and I were on holiday in Malta, visiting the Blue Grotto for the day. The very steep road down the sea was being re surfaced and there were diggers, dumper trucks and a big road roller all at work. We paused to take in the view on the way down, leaning against some railings. Suddenly, there was a lot of shouting and a loud rumbling noise.

The road roller was hurtling down the road! We flung ourselves to the right as the driver threw himself out of his cab. The road roller careered over the harbour edge and into the sea. When we stood up and looked back, the railings that we had been leaning against were completely flat.

Very fortunately the only casualty was the driver, who suffered a broken leg. Poor chap, obviously! Despite the high numbers of tourists in the road plus small boats and divers in the harbour, no one else was hurt. The divers were all thrilled to have the roller to look at under the water!

BornOfFrustration Tue 08-Jul-14 22:22:24

On the morning of my grandmother's funeral the controller for the power shower burst off the wall. Such was the force of the water in the few minutes it took DH to hear it, say 'have you left the shower on?' and run upstairs the water had flooded the en suite, gone through the wall onto the landing, and started leaking through the ceiling in the downstairs loo and hallway.

If we hadn't been burying my gran we would have both already left for work and wouldn't have returned for another 8 hours. From the state of the house after 5 - 10 minutes, I don't think we'd have had a house left.

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 08-Jul-14 22:24:21

I was lying on the operating table after ds's birth listening to the note of panic in my consultant's voice, despite proceeding to hysterectomy I was still haemmorhaging on a massive scale and they needed to knock me out under GA. I had to say goodbye to my newborn son and husband not knowing if I would wake up to see them and my two daughters.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Tue 08-Jul-14 22:28:30

Getting physically hurt in both the Manchester (IRA) and London (7/7) bombings. I was caught in both of them but was mercifully unhurt myself. Manchester shook me up much worse mentally because I was much younger. But I was 7 weeks pregnant in London, and had to sleep on a strangers floor as I couldn't get home to Hertfordshire. The kindness of strangers was indeed exemplified that day.

BirdhouseInYourSoul Tue 08-Jul-14 22:35:45

Years ago I was supposed to get a night coach home from visiting family. I had DD who was 4 with me.

I'm usually anal about checking things like travel details but for some reason I had it in my head we were going home on Friday instead of thursday. About an hour before the coach was due to leave I realised my mistake but thought it would be too tight timing wise to make it to the station in time so I re booked for the next day.

The coach I was supposed to be on crashed involving serious injuries and one death.

I still think about it now.

Mandy2003 Tue 08-Jul-14 22:40:24

We were leaving the Kent Bike Show at Lydd where you have to drive on narrow tracks between gravel pits. Being in a van, ExP pulled over to let an oncoming trike pass and - tilt - one of our wheels was in the water!! They say your life flashes before your eyes but with me it was all centres of gravity and physics!

Plenty of people helped push us back on the track, but we shook all the way home to Londonsad

Glowlamp Tue 08-Jul-14 22:51:40

merlot I think I was there at the blue lagoon on that day!

CantThinkOfAGoodUserName Wed 09-Jul-14 06:43:29

Wow some of these, all of these In fact are astonishing!
Is it coincidence or are certain things just not meant to happen? Life is a funny thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now