Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Can I ask where you were at life/career/salary-w ise at 30?

(157 Posts)
HotDogJumpingFrogAlburquerque Tue 08-Jul-14 21:14:14

Bit nosey, sorry about that!

I read on here all the time about MNers, or their husbands, with great jobs, huge salaries, huge houses. How long did it take to get to that stage?

At 30, where had you got to on that journey. We're you already way ahead of the average? Did you have great qualifications already? Or was it in your 40s when the childcare burden was staying to ease and you could devote more time to it?

I guess I'm wondering if you're pretty average at 30, can you still make a great life for yourself later on, or have I missed the boat?

What were you earning at 30? Were you in London or in the regions? Had you bought a home?

I am 30, earning 30k. Feel like I've been too slow at driving my career (through lack of confidence/bolshiness) in the 7 years since leaving uni. DH and I can pay the bills with a bit left over, but can't afford house/new car/children and don't really see it changing. (bought our small flat a few years ago).

I'm slightly avoiding studying for some work-related exams. I'm sure that won't help me get on in life!

Meglet Tue 08-Jul-14 21:20:12

I was earning �18k. No kids, but I bought a house thanks to the bank of M&D. I'm 40 and earn less now I have kids.

beccajoh Tue 08-Jul-14 21:20:28

I was earning about £27k in London. Married but no kids at that point. DH owned the flat we lived in (bought before we met). He was earning about £45k.

I had no particular career aspirations. Was just cruising along doing A Job.

MsBug Tue 08-Jul-14 21:23:02

I was travelling, didn't have a job or house, and was having a whale of a time grin

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 08-Jul-14 21:23:17

I was expecting my first baby smile my beautiful dd who us now 17 months.
I was earning 29k at the time and living in our first home.
I'm now earning around 18k as working part time but we've now moved to a bigger house.

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 08-Jul-14 21:23:50

I was expecting my first baby smile my beautiful dd who us now 17 months.
I was earning 29k at the time and living in our first home.
I'm now earning around 18k as working part time but we've now moved to a bigger house.

HicDraconis Tue 08-Jul-14 21:24:27

When I was 30 I was in the middle of registrar training. On a reasonable salary, with loading for antisocial rostering (72h shifts are now a thing of the past) - about £40-50k. I had bought a house - 3 bed mid terrace in Wiltshire. No kids then but I didn't meet DH till I was 31 smile

I took a pay cut at 36 when I became a consultant!

SureFootedWhispher Tue 08-Jul-14 21:25:09

30 - £27,000. Degree. Masters. Engaged. Own house. No children.

36 - £60k. Married. DD, 2X DSS. Additional professional qualification.

FluffyDucky Tue 08-Jul-14 21:25:31

I am 30. I earn 17.5k and we are in the process of buying or first home. I do wish weer had saved more earlier but I am very happy with that I have done work/career wise.

Sparkle9 Tue 08-Jul-14 21:26:08

I'm 30. Earn £43k. Pregnant. Own a lovely house with DP. Established in a career but not sure what will happen after DC1 arrives. Do not live in London - far cheaper area.

Surely it's relevant 'when' you were 30 though?

Earning 20k 25 years ago was much better than earning 20k this decade iyswim.

For me personally, I'm nowhere near 30 yet so I will bow out wink

trilbydoll Tue 08-Jul-14 21:27:52

I am 30 next year. Finished my professional exams at 23. No desire atm to progress past my current fairly junior manager position.

DD is 1, and we have a mortgage. Only possible because I didn't go to uni so qualified that bit quicker.

HotDogJumpingFrogAlburquerque Tue 08-Jul-14 21:29:12

SureFooted I'm quite similar to you at 30, I hope I can manage the same!

MsDeerheart Tue 08-Jul-14 21:29:51

not married but with DH and no kids, had a house, but not huge one, wasn't happy in job, although it was fairly good one, but took another couple of years to change jobs, since then had ups and downs, got married had 2 kids and now in the last year or so have moved forward in my career, don't have a huge house or new car through

SureFootedWhispher Tue 08-Jul-14 21:31:15

I got lucky but I did see a chance and take it.

Mintyy Tue 08-Jul-14 21:31:47

I had a great and glamorous job at 30 but it was low paid (Arts). I earned £17,000 pa then (1992) - don't know what the equivalent would be today.

I was living with dh but not married and I didn't have any children.

We felt quite poor but we smoked and drank a lot and went out all the time! His job was also low paid then (Media) but he was newly qualified. We owned a small flat in Hackney in negative equity which is probably worth £400,000 now hmm.

Dh was at the start of his career and is probably now at the peak of it (aged 50).

I interrupted my career when I was late 30s to have children, and will never go back to the sort of job I had then, but it takes a young and non-cynical person with lots of energy to do the sort of thing I was doing.

HotDogJumpingFrogAlburquerque Tue 08-Jul-14 21:31:58

Monkey, yes - whoops, didn't think of that! D'oh.

Even the decade would help with the context?

evelynj Tue 08-Jul-14 21:32:16

I'd just got promotion to manager position earning £30k & was delighted as that was one of my life goals. Was overpaying my mortgage & finances were fine-living in Manchester.

2 kids & move to NI 6 years later & Im earning min wage pt working for charity & happier than ever. My priorities changed but I hope to go back to earning a decent wage in a year or do & start my own business. Who know what will happen tho, I'm open to options as I have no real calling in life career wise.

FiloPasty Tue 08-Jul-14 21:32:40

At 30 I was earning 40k had just got engaged and had just found out I was pregnant. Had a mortgage since I was 23 (originally one of the Northern rock 100% ones) sold little flag I'd bought with a friend, and bought a 2 bed terrace with DH.
I worked hard to progress my career from 23-30 though and had very little social life, but some lovely holidays.
Now I work PT in a totally different career but mostly am a SAHM which I love.

OatcakeCravings Tue 08-Jul-14 21:32:41

I was 30 nine years ago. Married, no kids, own house, earning about £30K.

OublietteBravo Tue 08-Jul-14 21:32:43

When I was 30 I had a fixed term contract that was about to end. I was also pregnant with DS (and paying for DD to go to nursery full time so I could work). I think I earned about £27k, but spent most of the year on SMP. We did own our own house (3 bed terrace in East of England). Our car was 18 years old.

Looking back, I think 30 was a low point for me (aside from the birth of DS). That was 8 years ago.

Since then I've retrained (including a couple of sets of professional exams) and now earn a little over £60k. DH has changed career too. We now own a bigger house (7 bed semi - needs a lot of work though), and earn enough to send DD and DS to private school. We still have a really old car though (current model is 12 years old).

pancakesfortea Tue 08-Jul-14 21:33:39

Married, on maternity leave with DS1. Earning about 35k I think, public sector middle manager. Although part time I have also been quite career focused in the last few years and am now , aged 38, more senior and earn quite a bit more.

I'm 32 now. I earnt 48k the year I was 30. I was engaged, no kids.

RainbowB7 Tue 08-Jul-14 21:34:02

I'm 27 and earn 42k, no property yet but hopefully by 30!

500internalerror Tue 08-Jul-14 21:35:57

Had just had first child and so was earning a big fat zero. At 29, I was on 20k & really happy with such a huge salary. Looking back now, I wonder why I settled for a pittance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now