Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

10,000 steps is more work than I thought!

(45 Posts)
MonterayJack Tue 08-Jul-14 18:28:23

Flipping heck. Have just walked for an hour with my new pedometer on. 6.36 km has worked out at 7,665 steps. I shall just have to hope that during the rest of the day I'm making up the other 3,000 because I'm knackered now!

Is anyone else trying to do 10,000 steps a day and if you have a fairly sedentary job, are you finding it hard going?

beachyhead Tue 08-Jul-14 18:32:29

I did this a few years ago, but need to start again. Where did you get your pedometer from? My previous one was very unreliable ...

exexpat Tue 08-Jul-14 18:33:38

I have a dog, and do a lot of shopping locally on foot, so most days I manage to clock up more than 10,000 without really thinking about it. How do you get to work - does it involve any walking, or could you change your route to involve a bit more?

MonterayJack Tue 08-Jul-14 18:49:03

beachyhead the pedometer was from Boots. It's quite a cheapo one and I'm not at all sure I believe the mileage/calories consumed Can't really get the steps wrong though. I'm going to drive the route I do and measure it in the car and see how it compares. The make is Tanita.

I drive to work exexpat and because I'm a care assistant I need the car as I do shopping trips for people and accompany them to hospital appointments etc. I suppose all I can do is try up my evening walk distance.

exexpat Tue 08-Jul-14 18:56:36

Were you wearing the pedometer at work too? I can imagine that as a care assistant you might tot up more paces than you'd think during the working day.

Sleepytea Tue 08-Jul-14 18:59:18

I wear a vivofit which gives me a goal each day, I find it's easier to achieve 10000 steps during the week but I have to make a really big effort on a Sunday.

Sleepytea Tue 08-Jul-14 19:01:30

Also I've done just under 13000 steps today and that equals about 9.14 km (although I don't worry about how accurate it is as I'm not really bothered about how far I walk).

Barbs111 Tue 08-Jul-14 19:04:35

Would love to know how far I have walked today, wirked in a busy deli/cafe today 9-6pm and I have not once sat down, been non stop art day, not helped by the fact that a coach of 40 turned up at 4pm when we were already busy! Surley I must of walked miles and miles today

BirdhouseInYourSoul Tue 08-Jul-14 19:05:35

I use one of these and find it very reliable for steps.

It was a shock at first because I volunteer a full shift in a kitchen and I was certain I'd do my 10,000 steps with that alone but it was a stupidly low number. But then I worked out it only counts after 4 seconds of continuous stepping so the two steps to the fridge/coffee machine/ cake display weren't counting!

I did find it aa great way of upping my steps though.

Chottie Tue 08-Jul-14 19:08:07

I've walked 12,179 steps so far today. I walk to work 45 mins and part of the way home (about 30 minutes). My job is desk based, but I work in a building with several floors, so I am up and down steps all the time.

I wear my pedometer everyday in an effort to keep fit.

Bluecarrot Tue 08-Jul-14 19:08:37

I usually get 8000 steps without actually going for a walk iykwim! I think 10,000 is between 4 and 5 miles.

Smilesandpiles Tue 08-Jul-14 19:14:35

Would using a skipping rope help?

I'm assuming the pedometers work through vibration, so using a skipping rope should register.

You're on a ground floor flat so it wouldn't be affecting anyone below you and as long as you move things it should be break anything.

MonterayJack Tue 08-Jul-14 19:15:14

Birdhouse that's good to know. I like that you can view back over a week and see how you've done too. Looks better than mine was and not that much more cost wise.
Exexpat I'm going to start wearing the pedometer all day to see whether the daily stuff I do plus the one hour walk gets it up to `10,000. I just thought it would be easier to achieve then I'm finding it. I was SURE when I go in this evening after my 1 hour walk I'd have done 10,000! Grrrr

BirdhouseInYourSoul Tue 08-Jul-14 19:27:16

I really like being able to go through the week and see how I've done.

If I don't make 10,000 steps I've made it a rule to do more the next day.

If I'm over 9,000 I usually step on the spot whilst watching tv in the evening just to get it up smile

MonterayJack Tue 08-Jul-14 20:20:36

Now THAT is dedication Birdhouse!

BirdhouseInYourSoul Tue 08-Jul-14 20:34:12

No, more like being a bit weird with odd numbers. I don't like 9!

(Makes my job in accounts difficult sometimes)

Stratter5 Tue 08-Jul-14 20:36:58

<smuggerific>

Smilesandpiles Tue 08-Jul-14 20:39:02

grin @ smuggerific

I'm going to have to pinch that Stratters.

That's one hell of a number, well done!

Stratter5 Tue 08-Jul-14 20:44:15

It's walking the bloody dogs that does it

0pheliaBalls Tue 08-Jul-14 21:25:12

I have a pedometer app on my phone called Noom Walk, it's brilliant. 10,000 steps is roughly five miles - I have mobility problems so don't often manage that but once I was having a good day (ie not in bloody agony with my sodding feet) and I managed 19,789 <preens>

fuzzpig Tue 08-Jul-14 21:28:57

I vary a lot - I work in a library so on a shift where I've got shelving etc I walk a lot more than if I'm at a desk!

I'm aiming lower to start with as I'm recovering from long term illness, I'm trying for 8k a day average. I do get 10k a fair bit now though.

School run for me (there and back) is 2500 so if I do that twice (only on days off as I go to work straight from school) I'm halfway to 10k

Deftones Tue 08-Jul-14 21:33:09

I do the school run which is approx a mile each way, I do this 4 times a day and then I walk from the bus to and from work, then walk into town. I, on average, clock up 11,000 steps. I've clocked 21,000 before when I've had lots to do, I love walking though grin

Smilesandpiles Tue 08-Jul-14 21:34:37

What about skipping instead of walking? Just skip everywhere like you are 5 again.

Twice the number of steps in the same distance!

Notfootball Tue 08-Jul-14 21:37:31

I got a fitbit for my birthday and I am step-obsessed! I upped my target to 15,000 steps and if I find I'm below the mark in the evening, I'll go up and down the stairs or run around the garden until I reach it. The best days are when both DCs are in their respective schools as they are in different directions and I manage to fit a run in too: 20,000+ steps on those days.

<saddo emoticon>

swampytiggaa Tue 08-Jul-14 21:50:09

I have an omron pedometer from Amazon. I do 10,000 minimum a day. Weekends take a bit more effort but I generally manage it.

School holidays are a bit of a challenge tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now