Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

tonsillitis. when will I stop feeling like shit?

(20 Posts)
Frogisatwat Tue 08-Jul-14 10:48:42

Just a moan really. Went to the docs yesterday and have a 10 day course of antibiotics. I had hoped that they would kick in by today but feel awful and haven't eaten since Sunday. I keep throwing up too and sweating like crazy. I haven't felt this ill in years. Whinge moan.

fourforksache Tue 08-Jul-14 10:52:18

sad tonsillitis is foul, sorry, my bet is 2 more days of the really grim bit.

corvonia throat spray helps with the pain, and buckets of ice cream.

olaflikeswarmhugs Tue 08-Jul-14 11:01:40

Oh poor you ! Tonsillitis is the worst ! I can completely sympathise I get it at least once a year . The best thing for it is bed and a good DVD box set smile feel better soon ! thanks

SpeedofSound0 Tue 08-Jul-14 11:35:38

Oh dear, I sympathize with you, my sister used to have a lot of problems with her tonsils years ago, but it seems to have stopped now.

Sip cold, non-carbonated drinks through a straw, and if you have any Lemsip sachets or other generic cold and flu powder remedies, try and drink one, lukewarm every 4 to 5 hours, it will help to bring your temperature down. Don't consume more than 3 to 4 in any 24hr period though. And use an antiseptic throat spray, read the label to check for allergies and suitability though.

Also, put a clean flannel in the freezer for 20 minutes or so, and if you can bear it, place the flannel underneath your chin around your throat, it works believe me. But you have to keep on taking fluids, even if you are vomiting, you don't want to become dehydrated, just sip slowly through a straw like I have already said.

And if you can, the best way is to try and sleep, nature's way of dealing with illness, or if you cannot sleep, stick a DVD of your favourite TV programme on your laptop
or if you have a DVD player in your bedroom, put it on that.It will help to distract you from dwelling on how ill you feel.

I hope this helps smile and that you feel better soon. flowers

Poor you. It's vile. I used to have it recurrently: the last time it was so bad I couldn't stand up, was just crawling round the flat on my hands and knees veerrry very slowly and periodically blacking out.

IME the antibiotics start to make a difference in about 24-48 hours. You'll feel radically better soon thanks

Frogisatwat Tue 08-Jul-14 12:45:45

I don't know whether to go back to gp or not. Its the pain in my stomach and nausea getting to me this time sad

Frogisatwat Tue 08-Jul-14 12:46:26

Thanks for all your kind words x

TheOnlyPink Tue 08-Jul-14 13:27:07

Its really awful, my heart goes out to you. I get it every few months (waiting to have them out) it takes about 3 days before the really awful bit is over. You will still feel a bit shit for about a week, but the really horrendous bit will be gone.

You could try ringing NHS Direct for advice, frog, if you're not sure. It would save you dragging yourself to the doctor's.

If you're not eating, does that mean you're taking antibiotics and painkillers on an empty stomach? That can make you feel sick.

If you can manage it, a little bit of milk before the tablets may help . . .

Stick with it, if you're keeping the antibiotics down then things will improve soon thanks

Ok, huge tip and I say it on here time and time again.

Get yourself to the chemist and buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, gargle as directed on the bottle and you will feel a hell of a lot better a lot quicker than any antibiotics all for the princely sum of around 60p.

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Tue 08-Jul-14 13:33:33

Tonsillitis is horrendous, the stomach ache could be due to the antibiotics, or because you have glands in your stomach which give me terrible stomach ache.

I only found out about the glands recently!

Go to the chemist or back to docs and ask if you can take any anti sickness meds with the antibiotics, the sickness won't help your throat.

rowna Tue 08-Jul-14 13:37:51

I think the antibiotics used to kick in after 2-3 days with me. The vomiting for me was about my temperature being too high. If you can alternate painkillers so that you're taking a different type every two hours it come sometimes work to keep it down. Gargling with salt water can help too. I can never remember which two painkillers you can take together - I know one was aspirin but please check carefully. I hope you feel better soon, it's the worst.

MaidOfStars Tue 08-Jul-14 14:23:09

A throat spray WITH LIDOCAINE is your friend. Apply it liberally. It will let you eat a little, which will help your tummy.

Also, deepthroating ice lollies is good.

trinitybleu Tue 08-Jul-14 23:03:55

I feel like shit for 2 to 3 days. Either hit or ice cold drinks (it varies each time as to which feels best) and try to eat something scratchy to clear the gunk away. I usually have something delicious and special on my toast (lemon curd) or poppadoms and mango chutney to make it more bearable smile

Get well soon thanks My now OH realised he loved me (we were just friends) when he saw me with tonsilitis smile He wanted to make it all better.

trinitybleu Tue 08-Jul-14 23:05:44

Which antibiotics do you have? Some (erithmaricin (sp?) for example) have a coated and non coated version - the non coated make me nauseous. You can usually swop to the others.

Oh poor you, really hope you feel better soon, it's just horrible!

muchos sympathy

Frogisatwat Wed 09-Jul-14 16:19:15

Finally feeling like part of the human race. ! It was penicillin I was prescribed. Thanks for replying. I felt like death sad

Huzzah!

fourforksache Wed 09-Jul-14 17:15:57

wine glad to hear it's helping!

(you may have to save the wine for another day)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now