Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Lunch Out Went A Bit Wrong!

(40 Posts)
GoldenGytha Mon 07-Jul-14 17:00:22

Just wanted to have a rant about this, did wonder about AIBU but decided to post in Chat instead.

I met a friend in town for lunch today, we go maybe once every 4-6 weeks, and usually have a pub lunch, as we both like simple food. She was there an hour before the time we'd agreed on, and phoned me to ask where I was as "I'm here now, so where are you Golden?" She always does that, and I always tell her I 'm on my way" as we actually said 12pm, not 11am" So about 10 minutes before I got there I phoned to say I'd be there very soon, and she asked me if she'd just order and I could pay her when I arrived.

So as I knew I wanted Steak Pie, as it's my favourite, I said Yes please, I'll have the Steak Pie and Chips, and a Coke please. I got there about 5 minutes later, and the waiter brought us each a plate of macaroni and cheese, which is a meal I hate, and my friend knows I hate it, it looks line a plate of sick to me. I asked the waiter about it, and he said that's what was ordered, he went to serve someone else, then my friend said "Oh but the macaroni was on the two for a tender, so I though I'd order that for us instead. I said that I wasn't going to eat it and that I 'd order my pie, but she said I still had to pay my fiver for the uneaten macaroni.

I paid up, as this friend has a habit of going on and on about stuff, and she'd still be bringing it up months from mow. I was quite annoyed, as on the occasions that I've ordered for the two of us, I order exactly what my friend has asked for, and wouldn't think of changing it, my friend is in a better financial position than me but I still wouldn't try and save myself a few quid line that!

So not an AIBU, but would anyone else have been annoyed by this?

Niklepic Mon 07-Jul-14 17:03:10

So basically you paid for half her meal as well as your ow. I'd be majorly pissed off, yes.

Niklepic Mon 07-Jul-14 17:03:29

*own

TonyThePony Mon 07-Jul-14 17:05:02

That is annoying and just a bit odd.

Hope you enjoyed your pie though.

PiratesLifeForMe Mon 07-Jul-14 17:06:39

That would really tick me off. But you were a bit silly to pay her for the meal you didn't ask for.

NatashaBee Mon 07-Jul-14 17:06:51

She's a cheeky cow! I wouldn't have given her the money.

ovenchips Mon 07-Jul-14 17:07:42

She didn't act like your friend from that description!

I'd rather eat on my tod than have that aggro.

GoldenGytha Mon 07-Jul-14 17:08:00

I have long term mental health issues, and usually do just back down, and let people walk over me, hence me just paying up Niklepic.

I also couldn't deal with the constant moaning if I had refused to pay, but I do see your point, I did pay half, and then for my own meal again!

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 07-Jul-14 17:08:22

Is this friendship otherwise good? Because if not I would be making my excuses the next time she asked to meet, as from what you've posted she sounds high maintenance and tight fisted.

If she is an otherwise lovely friend, I would start to show up half an hour earlier than the time agreed and not let her order anything for you again as you can't afford to pay if she gets it wrong on purpose to suit herself

flappityfanjos Mon 07-Jul-14 17:08:27

Your friend sounds like a right twat.

susiedaisy Mon 07-Jul-14 17:09:08

I am flabbergasted that she phoned you and asked what you want and could she order it and then ordered a completely different meal shock

HaroldLloyd Mon 07-Jul-14 17:10:10

It's done now but if she does something like that again or needs to order for you make a point beforehand of saying you want what you ordered or won't be paying.

It's pretty shabby, I would be really annoyed.

InSummer Mon 07-Jul-14 17:10:17

Jesus. She sounds controlling. I would have probably left, not given her anything and gone to McDonalds on my own.

MrsKoala Mon 07-Jul-14 17:11:29

She sounds like really hard work. i think i'd cool it off for a while and not meet again for lunch. I'm not sure i could cope with a friend like that.

myusernameis Mon 07-Jul-14 17:11:45

She shows up an hour earlier than you planned, orders something you don't like after you told her what you wanted and then demands payment?

She sounds like she has a screw loose.
I wouldn't meet up with her again in a hurry.

GoldenGytha Mon 07-Jul-14 17:13:43

No, she's generally not a good friend, I could bore you for hours with tales, it's always the same, we've known each other for nearly 40 years, and everything always has to be about her, I know every last little detail about her life, but she knows absolutely nothing about mine.

She remembers the names of my DC, but that's about it!

susiedaisy Mon 07-Jul-14 17:15:50

Phase her out op. It will be no loss for you.

MrsKoala Mon 07-Jul-14 17:16:11

Don't go again OP. It sounds painful.

Lilaclily Mon 07-Jul-14 17:16:18

Why do you keep meeting her then ? Do you have other friends ?

JustSpeakSense Mon 07-Jul-14 17:17:53

I think I would've also quietly paid up, as I'm not very assertive blush but she sounds quite controlling and like hard work, perhaps you should rethink your friendship - or be very careful in the future when arranging to see her that she doesn't bulldoze you into getting her way, leaving you flustered and ....out of pocket!

Lilaclily Mon 07-Jul-14 17:18:10

No, she's generally not a good friend, I could bore you for hours with tales, it's always the same, we've known each other for nearly 40 years, and everything always has to be about her, I know every last little detail about her life, but she knows absolutely nothing about mine

Absolutely baffled why you carry on the friendship???? If you can even call it that hmm

PiratesLifeForMe Mon 07-Jul-14 17:18:45

Oh Golden, she sounds awful! Do you have other friends you could meet for lunch with & maybe distance yourself a bit from her?

She might be a bit nicer and treat you better if she realises you don't have to put up with her being that way?

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Mon 07-Jul-14 17:19:55

What an amazing friend, I bet you'd been looking forward to that lunch all week - not.

How about next time she asks you to lunch, laugh out loud and say 'No thanks. Last time really hacked me off, you know, you not even respecting me enough to not change my food order, then effectively getting me to pay for half your food. I'll pass, thanks.'

GoldenGytha Mon 07-Jul-14 17:23:21

Think she's more of a habit I can't break, as we've been friends for so long, but you're all right, I'm getting nothing out of the "friendship" and she just adds to my feelings of worthlessness and anxiety,

I always come away feeling drained, and glad to be getting away from her.

That's not how a friendship should be, is it?

I don't have many friends, only one or two, but there is another woman, who is a great support to me, and us the total opposite to this one.

AdoraBell Mon 07-Jul-14 17:26:45

Did you have lunch with my SIL? Sounds the kind of thing she'd do but because she doesn't want anyone to eat meathmm

YANBU, btw, and I'd decline any future invites from her if it was my not much of a friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now