Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you could write a short note to your 16 year old self, what would it be?

(108 Posts)
CiderLover Mon 07-Jul-14 15:48:42

Mine would definitely be along the lines of "Things will get better!"

Urgh, I hated my teen years!

slithytove Tue 08-Jul-14 03:21:25

Stop eating.

You will meet the love of your life in 3 years. Have some self respect and stop throwing yourself at anyone who will have you.

Don't take politics a level.

Have you thought about training to be a midwife?

(It is something I would love to be doing, but I am old and have young children and a husband who travels away a lot and I can't fathom how I would juggle placements with childcare. If only I'd trained before having a family instead of faffing around working in IT).

SpiffingGalore Tue 08-Jul-14 03:46:21

You don't always have to say yes. It will lead you into some scary and dangerous places, so please learn to say no.

You are never going to be like everyone else. Yes, you are different and this is a good thing. You are not a freak.

You are not going to be alone forever. You do deserve 'normal' things and you will have them.

You are not fat!

Boleh Tue 08-Jul-14 07:53:28

You feel rubbish not only because of circumstances but because of depression - get some help.

All the graft you are doing now will be worth it, you are setting up a future that you can't even begin to imagine.

You are prettier (and slimmer) than you realise.

leave the bastard before he successfully destroys your life.

p.s. go see a gp.

AggressiveBunting Tue 08-Jul-14 07:59:17

The geeks shall inherit the earth. Date them, for they will also treat you well and have interesting conversation, unlike the guy you're dating who will end up getting fired by the tyre place for failing to screw the tyres on properly, then get busted for possession, and between now and then will communicate solely in words of one syllable. The 6 pack aint worth it.............and you dont even like Depeche Mode so stop pretending you do.

settingsitting Tue 08-Jul-14 08:06:20

AB. I agree. Geeks are ace so long as you can take their slight quirkiness.

Gerrythetootallgiraffeswife Tue 08-Jul-14 09:10:27

You are not fat. All this thinking you are is making you eat, and guess what? All that eating will make you fat!

They really are your friends. They're not being nice because they feel sorry for you, they actually like you because you're pretty cool. In 15 years time you'll still be in touch.

You're not lazy or stupid, you just go to a school where they make you think you're lazy if you don't work til
Midnight and stupid if you don't get all As. You're doing exactly the right amount of work, you'll go to a great uni and be a trailblazer at work. You won't go to cambridge, and that is a GOOD THING. Be kinder to yourself.

Your dad will offer to sort out an amazing opportunity for you when you're 18. Take it, don't stay at home because of a boy.

Interest free credit card deals are not 'backwards saving'. You are not good enough with money for that. Work hard, save hard, THEN buy nice things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now