Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Poor Vanessa Feltz

(276 Posts)
Scarletohello Mon 07-Jul-14 13:27:50

Poor woman, she had the courage to come forward and say that she was assaulted live on air on The Big Breakfast by Rolf Harris and instead of receiving support and empathy there's just been an outpouring of hatred and misogyny on social media about her.

Jeez, is it any wonder women don't want to report sexual assaults?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28190812

Scarletohello Mon 07-Jul-14 13:28:00
emeraldgirl1 Mon 07-Jul-14 13:30:55

She is fab on BBC radio London, really great. Not sure why that is relevant but there is so much Vanessa hatred out there I just wanted to redress the balance!
Horrible thing to happen to anyone.
The response is disgusting, I am sick and tired of women in the public eye (for which read ALL women, it's just that the ones in the public eye get the public reactions) being treated this way. Genuinely sick of it.

BinarySolo Mon 07-Jul-14 13:42:21

I'm surprised it happened but only because I thought she'd be he sort to put him in her place and stand up for herself.

I loved Rolf as a kid, well actually up until all this lot came out. I think that's part the problem. He was so well liked that people struggle to come to terms with and believe that he was a pervert. I even think that his crimes have been very much played down by the media, but he has been jailed so the evidence was obviously there.

Vanessa being doubly damned for being an out spoken woman and speaking out against someone people don't really want to hear the truth about.

BinarySolo Mon 07-Jul-14 13:43:10

*Put him in his place

i have every sympathy for those that have been assaulted by anyone, however I do find it distasteful that so many people come forwards after the perpetrator has been sentenced, why did they not tell the police before? They could have stopped many others going through what they did.

BinarySolo Mon 07-Jul-14 13:46:40

Just for clarity, I do believe Rolf's victims.

Heels99 Mon 07-Jul-14 13:48:05

Vanessa fan here.

BinarySolo Mon 07-Jul-14 13:48:18

Sounds as though she did tell police before sentencing as the article says she could speak publicly until after the trial.

NatashaBee Mon 07-Jul-14 13:51:16

Not a big fan of hers at all, but she has hit the nail on the head with this:

"You think if people react like that, you can see why people don't come forward," she said.

"I'm 52 and I can handle myself so imagine if I was a seven-year-old child, or 12 or 17."

avoiretre Mon 07-Jul-14 13:53:03

He felt "under" her knickers? Oh Kaaay...

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 07-Jul-14 13:53:34

More victim blaming.sad.

BellMcEnd Mon 07-Jul-14 13:54:00

I'm one of Vanessa's Lovely Listeners and was appalled at the abuse she's had following her revelations about Rolf Harris. She's fab on Radio London and has shown a lot of courage in admitting what happened to her.

CundtBake Mon 07-Jul-14 13:54:44

HelpMeGetOutOfHere many victims of sexual abuse take a very long time to tell anybody at all for many valid reasons.

I don't like the whole 'they should have told somebody, they could have stopped it happening to someone else' thing. They are a victim. The only person responsible for these sexual assaults (in this case) was Rolf Harris. I think it's nasty to put any of that responsibility on any of the victims.

Stressing Mon 07-Jul-14 13:55:48

I knew as soon as I saw the report that she would face a barrage of abuse on social sites. I think she probably knew as well, but still went ahead. I think that is brave. I do also have reservations about the timing, however. After all it's like now the battle against him has been won it's safe to come out and say. Not sure how I feel about that.

Retropear Mon 07-Jul-14 13:57:31

I agree and think she's fab whenever she's on Radio 2.

Scarletohello Mon 07-Jul-14 13:57:44

Helpme just look at the other thread on here with over 300 posts about why victims of rape and sexual assault don't report at the time. A combination of shame, guilt and self blaming is a powerful combination. Not to mention the prevelant victim blaming attitudes. We have to support and encourage all women who come forward and say yes this happened to me too. It's the only way we will ever change things.

carcharodoncarcharias Mon 07-Jul-14 13:58:18

I'm not too keen on her as a presenter, but yes, the reaction is disgraceful.

"I'm 52 and I can handle myself so imagine if I was a seven-year-old child, or 12 or 17."

By handle herself she presumably means that she can deal with predatory males - but why should any woman have to "handle themselves"? Why is it always down the woman - why can't the creeps keep their hands (or worse) to themselves in the first place?

And actually, I'm not sure that she did handle herself in the Harris situation - she didn't know what to do. She basically froze. And then she felt sorry for him and didn't want to break up his marriage or affect his career. Well, why should those thoughts even come into it? His behaviour was unacceptable - any repercussions were and are entirely of his own making.

I feel for the victims in all of these cases, but it is high time light was shone in dark corners. The more the behaviour of men like Harris and his ilk is exposed and held up for condemnation the better.

Victims of sexual predators should be lauded for their bravery in speaking out.

Nofoollikeanoldone Mon 07-Jul-14 13:59:39

I wonder if Linda Nolan has received such abuse as well?

Bange Mon 07-Jul-14 13:59:52

I agree OP.

Some of the comments from the men (mostly) were ridiculous, and people wonder why there was a shroud of secrecy for decades! who could speak out knowing they would be mocked and ridiculed, accused of getting on a bandwagon, geez.

I'm glad she spoke out. I like her. She's entertaining and a real person.

Retropear Mon 07-Jul-14 14:00:58

Exactly she didn't have to speak out(the whole thing must have been awful for her) but she did.She should be applauded for it not vilified.

Other victims must get reading on in horror.

What an utter creep.

Retropear Mon 07-Jul-14 14:01:20

be

doobledootch Mon 07-Jul-14 14:03:09

helpgetmeoutofhere I was just reading about this on the BBC, as far as I can tell there were a large number of women who came forward to the police pre-trial, who are only now allowed to speak openly about their experiences now that the trial is over. As to why women haven't gone to the police before, perhaps the way they are treated when they do?

I really like Vanessa, I don't always agree with her but I do so admire her unapologetic outspokenness.

Bange Mon 07-Jul-14 14:04:26

stressing, I agree, I think she would have seen this coming and she spoke out anyway.

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Mon 07-Jul-14 14:04:41

I remember watching that interview. I don't recall the bit she describes but I do remember that she seemed really uncomfortable and was trying to rebuff him, and that he was being very sleazy. I was only young myself at the time and was a big fan of his, and was very very surprised to see him acting in such a way - very unnerving and so unexpected. I've never fully forgotten watching it.

Vanessa, I believe you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now