Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Oh GOD. Mortified. Share my trauma!

(52 Posts)
DearTeddyRobinson Mon 07-Jul-14 12:41:34

Woman in gym changing room: 'how far along are you?'
Me: <puzzled pause, then horrified realisation> 'I'm not pregnant'.
DS is 17mo and I still haven't lost my baby belly, guess I should use this as motivation?!

peeveddoesntcoverit Mon 07-Jul-14 12:43:49

I'm sure the other woman felt a million times more embarrassed!
smile

Jackie0 Mon 07-Jul-14 12:44:06

And that is why I never ever comment on bumps.
Kind of rude of her IMO

elenasalvatore Mon 07-Jul-14 12:45:10

This has happened to me too. Stranger on a train offered me their seat in a very "oh look at me aren't I kind" sort of a way. Shame I wasn't pregnant. Took the seat though!

Fluffyears Mon 07-Jul-14 12:47:01

Elena me too. It would've offended and embarassed her to give seat back...at least I keep telling myself that.

elenasalvatore Mon 07-Jul-14 12:48:12

That's what I told myself too Fluffy...

You're not the one who should be mortified.

This is why I never congratulate someone on their pregnancy until I've heard first hand speaks from bitter experience of getting it wrong

Years ago - pre DD - I was waiting for a bus. Our service was extremely unpredictable and it was not unusual for a bus to be 20 minutes late.
A woman wandered up to the bus stop, had a look at the timetable, did the whole smiling/acknowledging a stranger thing and then said to me
"When's it due?"
I said "Well don't rely on the timetable, it should be here in about 5 minutes"
Then she said, "No, I meant when's your baby due?"
"I'm not pregnant"
"Oh..... <embarrassed pause>......it's just that I had a top like that when I was pregnant"

ChubbyKitty Mon 07-Jul-14 12:58:53

Happened to me the other week.

I've never had children and indeed I'm not pregnant now.

The whole incident is filed under 'awkward encounter with people I hope to never see again' blush

Waggamamma Mon 07-Jul-14 13:00:28

This happened to me at a work event in an obscure location, I mentioned I walked from the train station (40mins) and a lady replied 'oh you must be exhausted, when are you due?'...I wasn't pregnant but I had miscarried a month earlier, I just embarrassingly mumbled I wasn't pregnant, it really made me feel awful about myself for months afterwards.

I am now 31 weeks pregnant and people don't offer me a seat on the train, I can see them eyeing me up wondering 'is she pregnant or just fat?' then don't offer a seat to save themselves the embarrassment.

DearTeddyRobinson Mon 07-Jul-14 13:04:06

Funny enough I was mooching about on the low carb boards yesterday, as I'm getting a bit fed up of being podgy. Not before time it would appear blush
Let this once again be a lesson to is all: unless you can actually see a head emerging, do not assume someone is pg...

bigpurplesquare Mon 07-Jul-14 13:04:52

One of the mums at school congratulated me on my pregnancy (I wasn't PG!).

We laughed it off together and actually became very good friends afterwards, so it's not always bed! smile

bigpurplesquare Mon 07-Jul-14 13:05:09

*not always bad

PuppyMonkey Mon 07-Jul-14 13:10:40

Mrs C grin " when's it due?" at a bus stop. That's tickled me.

MagpieMama Mon 07-Jul-14 13:11:39

It happened to me before I was pregnant. I was mortified! It was someone that I would see every few months through work.
I saw her again when I was around 7 months pregnant and when I talked about going on mat leave she said she didn't realise I was pregnant. Bloody woman.

OwlCapone Mon 07-Jul-14 13:13:40

The dog groomer asked me this a month ago. I wasn't embarrassed, she was right, I did look pregnant. I took it as a wake up call and stopped eating wheat again and started walking to school and doing the 30 Day Shred.

She was mortified though.

HermioneDanger Mon 07-Jul-14 13:13:50

The flipside of this happens though. DH was at client site and, working on the principle of not mentioning pregnancies if they haven't been confirmed to you, didn't ask a woman about her pregnancy. She then berated him for assuming she had got fat.

It's a lose-lose world out there.

MotleyCroup Mon 07-Jul-14 13:18:38

Laughing at the bus stop storey grin

MotleyCroup Mon 07-Jul-14 13:19:14

Story story story blush

ShoeWhore Mon 07-Jul-14 13:21:17

I got asked this as I wheeled my newborn's pram into the butchers grin "You still not had that baby yet?" Erm yes he's right here...

Gruntfuttock Mon 07-Jul-14 13:26:35

ShoeWhore That's crazy! Why would you be pushing a pram if you hadn't had your baby?

RevoltingPeasant Mon 07-Jul-14 13:27:09

It's possible to offer someone a seat just by saying 'Do you need to sit down?' without saying 'Ooo er 6 months gone are ya luv?' wink

I had this with my office cleaner a few months ago. I was size 10-12 at the time! Just wearing a floaty top.

Her: So, you are pregnant.

Me: <juggling keys to get into office> Er, sorry?

Her: Pregnant, I can tell.

Me: confused Er no, I'm not.

Her: You look pregnant to me. <walks off>

Then for the next 6-8 weeks she kept looking meaningfully at the giant-size Starbucks coffee cups in my bin and tutting, on one occasion saying 'it's not good for you, so much coffee'.

This was about 5-6 months ago so I'm guessing by now she has cottoned on............. grin

katrina81 Mon 07-Jul-14 13:29:05

I had this too in Asda at the checkout and she asked how long I had left, I just lied and said three months, newborn dd was in the car with her dad.

I nearly asked a mum up the school when her baby was due a few years back, so glad now I didn't. She did look pregnant though.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 07-Jul-14 13:34:52

The woman behind the till in Mothercare asked me when it was due when DD was 4 weeks old and DH was carrying her right beside me! He just held up the car seat and she got really flustered, and then compounded the error by asking what 'he' was called. DD was wearing a pink hat, although she did have a yellow blanket. Apparently yellow = boy. hmm I was not a happy bunny - had been wrestling with their totally crap nursing bra selection being ignored by staff for a good half hour, so wasn't in the sunniest of moods as it was.

morethanalltheteainchina Mon 07-Jul-14 13:37:40

I like to think that I am in pretty good shape - I work out a lot, am very aware of what I eat etc and have been a size 8-10 for the last few years. Last week a guy in my office sent me a message on our instant messenger service saying "don't worry I won't say anything, wink wink." I replied "err what?" He said "you being pregnant! It's been pretty obvious the last few weeks!" "I promise you I am not pregnant!" "Don't worry, i won't say anything! Mum's the word and all that!"

He'll realise he's wrong eventually I guess when no baby appears confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now