Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Teachers Strike on 10th July....

(198 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Wed 02-Jul-14 18:13:29

Just had a text from school. DS2 ( all of Year 7) off. I hadn't heard there was going to be a strike. confused

Wantsunshine Wed 02-Jul-14 18:16:34

Mine have already broken up for summer by then!

Feenie Wed 02-Jul-14 18:17:25

It's a huge strike - NUT, GMB, Unison....

Sparklingbrook Wed 02-Jul-14 18:17:39

grin that would make the strike a bit rubbish.

Sparklingbrook Wed 02-Jul-14 18:18:20

I have no idea why i didn't know Feenie, I am quite good with reading the news etc.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 02-Jul-14 18:19:19

Lots of people in lots of industries will be striking. It has been well publicised, to be fair to the unions.

Sparklingbrook Wed 02-Jul-14 18:19:49

blush

cricketballs Wed 02-Jul-14 18:20:10

It is not just the NUT on strike; UNISON, Unite, GMB, PCS are also striking, the fire brigade union have also declared their intention to strike on the 10th.

Please don't fall into the media's trap of thinking that it is the teachers union that are closing schools as unison hold more power re a school opening. You will find that anything that needs a public sector worker will be disrupted on that day

Asleeponasunbeam Wed 02-Jul-14 18:21:35

Are TAs generally UNISON?

Feenie Wed 02-Jul-14 18:21:51

Unite, PCS

Sparklingbrook Wed 02-Jul-14 18:23:41

I have had a google and a bit of a read, yep it's a big strike. blush

MummyKnight Wed 02-Jul-14 18:25:10

Asleeponasunbeam TA's can be in any union, in my school the TA's are in either ATL (who are not striking), unison or GMB (both of whom are striking)

Sparklingbrook Wed 02-Jul-14 18:26:18

Not sure what the mix of teachers and Unions are at DS2's school. Years 5 and 6 are in, just Year 7 not.

Bunbaker Wed 02-Jul-14 18:33:12

I knew - because I read it on MN a few weeks ago. We have had an email from school today.

WyrdByrd Wed 02-Jul-14 18:34:38

It was in the news a good 3-4 weeks ago. Luckily confused hmm I'm on annual leave next week.

Oodlives Wed 02-Jul-14 18:34:40

I only got an email on Monday confirming that my union is on strike.

noblegiraffe Wed 02-Jul-14 18:36:08

My school hasn't said anything yet, and teachers that I mentioned it to who are NASUWT and therefore not striking know nothing about it.

starfishmummy Wed 02-Jul-14 18:39:40

We have heard nothing. Its nite a working day for me anyway but I have a morning meeting in school with the teacher (its what they do instead of parents evening). So I need to ask.

2kidsintow Wed 02-Jul-14 20:55:55

TA's, school cooks (so no dinners), cleaners (so no cleaning after the day), and the biggie... no lunchtime supervisors (so noone to supervise the children at lunchtime when the teachers are not contractually required -or paid - to supervise children. That's the one that ended with our school closing in the last Unison strike years ago.

I'm on a school trip with my class that day, and our TA has opted not to strike, so we are in. I just hope that my daughter's school is too. smile

HouseofEliot Thu 03-Jul-14 06:37:15

We had the letter yesterday. It was the first I knew if it. My Dd's trip that was planned and paid for months ago has been refunded.

Sparklingbrook Thu 03-Jul-14 06:41:29

I am surprised but pleased that it doesn't affect any of the end of term stuff-leaving assembly/transfer day etc.

sad about your DDs trip House.

RainbowsStars Thu 03-Jul-14 07:16:37

A lot of TAs are in Unison, some are in ATL. Unison is cheaper from what I can remember so it is probably more popular.

incywincyspideragain Thu 03-Jul-14 12:50:21

I've just had text from school so waiting to hear if they are in or out but will lose a days pay if even one of my children is out.... and its almost their long summer holiday anyway when I have to find childcare.
I'm not sure I understand it - 38 working weeks a year and even working 50 hr weeks its the same as my 40hr week that I'm contracted to do (and most weeks I have to do more at home to meet a programme deadline)
I think I need to google to find out the reasons before pick up tonight...

DS's primary will be shut. DD's school is having sports day, so apparently they'll manage to remain open.

Oodlives Thu 03-Jul-14 13:07:51

incy unison is striking about the 1% pay rise offer. It's not just teachers striking, it's lots of council staff/civil servants etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now