Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How old we're your doc before you had a proper drink?

(28 Posts)
HilariousInHindsight Sat 28-Jun-14 22:31:29

As in, someone to look after them or when they slept through the night

15 months before I have got past 1 large glass.

MamaPain Sat 28-Jun-14 22:33:23

What do you mean? You haven't had a drink for 2 years and not out of choice?!

TheReluctantCountess Sat 28-Jun-14 22:33:33

Going by the title of your thread, you've had enough tonight! grin

BackforGood Sat 28-Jun-14 22:42:25

No idea how old my Doctor is.

Don't understand what else you are asking - do you mean how old was our pfb when you first got a sitter and went out ?

thecuntureshow Sat 28-Jun-14 22:49:19

By 'proper drink', do you mean binge drink?

I don't have DC yet but looking at my mates who do, they go about 48 hours. wink

HilariousInHindsight Sat 28-Jun-14 23:28:19

Whoops should've checked for typos.

I mean have a proper drink not including once glass of wine at dinner or one beer in the garden.

Whether someone else looked after the DC or they were old enough to be reliably sleeping through the night.

Tonight is the first time I have had a proper glass since DD was born and she is 15 months now.

She's with my parents.

The Rosè is just making me feel sleepy though.

HilariousInHindsight Sat 28-Jun-14 23:29:21

One glass.

I am typing on iPhone.

thecuntureshow Sat 28-Jun-14 23:29:38

So... What counts as a 'proper drink'? Two glasses or more?

HilariousInHindsight Sat 28-Jun-14 23:30:56

I guess it's subjective.

To me yes two glasses or more.

Or enough to get a warm glow.

IdaClair Sat 28-Jun-14 23:31:57

Not sure?

First alcohol, about four hours old when we had champagne. Yum.

First time left overnight, about 14 months I think, but wasn't sleeping through.

Drank plenty in between those times?

Notso Sat 28-Jun-14 23:47:33

I went to a wedding when DD was 5 weeks old. My parents picked her up before the night do and dropped her off when we go home. She was away from me about 6 hours and had a bottle of EBM. I was quite drunk.
I went out for a whole evening when she was 9 weeks and got very drunk.
I was 19, I didn't really feel any kind of guilt about leaving my babies until I had DS2 and DS3 in my late 20's early 30's, and even then I left them before they were one.

Knackeredmum13 Sat 28-Jun-14 23:51:23

My pfb was about 8 months I think, and not sleeping through reliably. I regretted it hugely at 5am the next morning when DH gave up trying to pacify him and got me up to try.

DefiniteMaybe Sat 28-Jun-14 23:57:23

With dc1 he was 5ish months, not long after I'd stoppedbf.
With dc2 she was 2 and a half before she was ready to stay anywhere else and then I didn't drink because I was worried she would have to be brought home and then dc3 was conceived before I had another chance.
I'd imagine it'll be a good while before anyone is stupid enough willing enough to have all 3 over night so I'd imagine dc2 will be at least 5 or 6 before I get chance to get merry.

Mrsjayy Sun 29-Jun-14 00:09:32

I went to a bbq when dd was 5 months mum had her I was mingjng drunk and had to be taken home I fell asleep

MrsToddsShortcut Sun 29-Jun-14 01:33:35

Tonight was the first time in seven years (since DD1 and DS2 were born) that I have been able to go out, without driving, and have a drink (am a lone parent).

I hung out with my best friends, drank Caipirinhas, beer and plum liqueur and had the most wonderful, lovely, fuzzy, fantastic night! I have so missed feeling like this grin

whatshallwedo Sun 29-Jun-14 09:13:44

2.3 years, waited this long totally through choice smile

MrsKoala Sun 29-Jun-14 09:28:14

Probably about 3mo when i had a few drinks. And then about once a week after that, and more every now and then and often a bottle of wine to myself after DS was about 1yo. Not when anyone else was looking after DS either. Just in the house while he was here like normal.

Idontseeanyicegiants Sun 29-Jun-14 09:39:14

About 6 months when we got a babysitter and went out with friends. I had only had a glass of champagne the night after I gave birth before that.
I got totally pissed off 4 glasses of wine blush not just tipsy but can't stand up straight drunk...
She's now 2.6 and I still can't handle much!

melissa83 Sun 29-Jun-14 09:44:40

2 weeks with 1st, few momths and already have night out arranged 6 weeks after due date for 3rd.

Bithurt Sun 29-Jun-14 09:45:49

My ds would have been about 3 months and we put him to my dm's. I felt guilty though.

melissa83 Sun 29-Jun-14 09:46:32

*few months with 2nd thats meant to say. I dont wait around I have a 24/7 babysitter its dh!

SourSweets Sun 29-Jun-14 09:46:37

Champagne when he was 1 day old.

Left with grandparents when he was 3 months old so we could have a night away.

Went to my first party when he was 4 months old.

Christmas and new year at 5 months old.

It's not looking good, is it? smile

Fluffeh Sun 29-Jun-14 09:47:34

I'm still waiting to have one drink. DD 14 months won't settle for anyone, not even her dad. Only settles for a bf.
She also feeds like a newborn day and night so I never have a large enough window in which to drink.

weatherall Sun 29-Jun-14 09:51:50

It was Xmas/new year when DC was 3 months so I would have drank then.

Had first baby free night out with friends at 4mo.

Prob at my birthday so 6mo.

But I can't remember any of these.

I do remember getting v drunk away for the weekend at 8/9 months.

With dc2 I went out at 6weeks but had leaky boobs so it wasn't fun and didn't get drunk.

I really don't remember after that- the next 2/3 years are a total blur!

I regularly have a glass of wine or a g&t, and did occasionally when pregnant, but I do stop at just one as I am BF. Also, it makes me feel so rough the next day.

I have actually only been drunk once since my eldest child was born. He was 4 and stayed at his GM's and i wasn't even that drunk. I have never felt so dreadful as I did the next morning, and for about four days afterwards! I was so, so sick and my poor head... put me off doing it again! I think I've lost all ability to drink lots post children ! sad sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now