Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

When will my dd start school..confused!

(35 Posts)
coralgrimes Sat 28-Jun-14 21:33:32

I can't seem to figure it out and I've asked friends and family members (all with children) and they're even getting confused.

DD was born start of september 2013. Can someone tell me when:

1. she will start preschool (when they go mornings or afternoons)
2. she will start reception.

Argghh why is something so simple so confusing!! blush

AuntieStella Sat 28-Jun-14 21:34:43

Are you in England?

ElephantsAreMostlyMadeOfFourEl Sat 28-Jun-14 21:35:19

Preschool the term after she turns 3 so that will be the January after her 3rd birthday.

School will be the September in which she turns 5 as they start the September before their 5th birthday.

School = September 2018

coralgrimes Sat 28-Jun-14 21:39:39

sorry should have said I'm in Wales

Preschool depends on the individual school. Ours takes 2yr olds but fees have to be paid until the term after they turn 3yrs and then you are entitled to 15 hrs free childcare per week.

School will be the sept after the child turns 4yrs.

^ ^

England. Not sure about Wales.

Littlefish Sat 28-Jun-14 21:40:43

Pre-school - 15 funded hours from January 2016 if the pre-school offers a January intake. However, some pre-schools only offer places for the year before school.

Reception class - September 2017 when she is nearly 5.

Littlefish Sat 28-Jun-14 21:41:16

Cross posted with you - my post refers to England.

Icimoi Sat 28-Jun-14 21:43:47

Littlefish, she'll be nearly 5 in September 2018.

coralgrimes Sat 28-Jun-14 21:44:05

so when she turns 4 in that September would she start reception then or the following September when shes turning 5? see how confused I'm getting. sorry blush.

MikeLitoris Sat 28-Jun-14 21:44:15

In Wales it's nursery the term after they turn 3 and school the Sept after they turn 4.

My Dd was 3 in Jan this year but no spaces for her in the school we wanted so she doesn't start until this September.

amigagal Sat 28-Jun-14 21:44:54

School will be September 2018. She may already be 5 then depending on when her birthday is. My sons birthday is 9th Sept and when he starts school on 11th September he will be 5.

coralgrimes Sat 28-Jun-14 21:45:27

in Wales I believe you attend nursery/preschool when the child turns 3.

coralgrimes Sat 28-Jun-14 21:46:41

her birthday is 3rd sept. this is why I NCd , just in case I had to mention this.

Littlefish Sat 28-Jun-14 21:46:54

Sorry, my mistake. In England it would be nursery in January 2017 and reception in September 2018 when she is nearly 5, like Icimoi says.

In England it's the sept after they turn 4, so as your DD turns 4 in sept, she will be 5 when she goes to school. But will be at preschool until she is at school.

Dd2 was born in August 2012 (in wales), she starts school nursery in September 2015, reception in September 2016. As your child is a September birthday they'll start nursery the January after they turn 3 so January 2017 (if there is a space - dd1 had to wait until September) then reception September 2018.

coralgrimes Sat 28-Jun-14 21:51:07

Thank you so much, its making sense to me now. How early on did you put their name down for the school you wanted? I'm getting conflicting advice. Some are saying you can put their name down now confused.

mejon Sat 28-Jun-14 21:52:19

No idea about pre-school as mine go to Cylch Meithrin where they can go for 2.5 hours a day from 2 or 2.5, but in our part of Wales, children start school the term after they turn 4 so in your DD's case (if she lived where we do) she'd start in January. My DD is 4 in February so she will start after Easter next year. DD1's birthday is in August and started school in the September.

coralgrimes Sat 28-Jun-14 21:56:39

When I go to baby group next week I'll ask HV if she's there, just to make sure. So it may be Jan 2018 or Sept 2018.

divingoffthebalcony Sat 28-Jun-14 21:57:33

Also bear in mind that you can send her to preschool whenever you want, finances willing. My DD is 3 this September, and although her free government hours won't start until the January term (because it's always the term AFTER they turn 3) all the preschools around here only do one intake, in September. So I had two options: send her in September and pay ourselves, or wait until after Christmas but run the risk of certain sessions not being available (I prefer mornings) or the preschool being full. It's confusing!

School is simple though. It's the September AFTER they turn 4. Your DD will be 4 in Sept 2017, so she'll start reception in 2018.

MikeLitoris Sat 28-Jun-14 21:58:24

Where I live in Wales you can put their down down for Catholic or CoW schools but not any other. You can register with the council and they send you an application at the appropriate time.

I didn't decide what school I wanted with dd1 until she was 2 so I put her name down then, dd2's went down when school went back in the September after she was born so she was 3 weeks old grin. It's the council that make the final decision though, it used to be the school for the nursery year but that changed this year. Have you looked on the council website? Ours is pretty helpful. Or you should have a Children's Information Service who you can phone on Monday.

Lucylouby Sat 28-Jun-14 22:04:43

If England it doesn't matter when you out a child's name down at a school. All school admissions go through the local authority who have control over allocations. Our local primary are really quick to get parents to put their child's name down on the admissions list, which then makes parents think they are guaranteed a place because little freddy has had his name down since birth. But when it comes to it, if you don't come of high enough in the allocations (ie, siblings, catchment, other needs etc) you aren't going to get a place.
All the list does round here is get you an invite to the school open day in the autumn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now