Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Please - tell me how your non-sleeping baby became a sleeping one!

(64 Posts)
Mirrhi Sat 28-Jun-14 19:42:32

DS is 6mo and has never slept for more than 3 hours at a time. He's EBF but now started on solids. Currently I see no light at the end of the tunnel, can see me never again sleeping for longer than 2 1/2 hours at a time for the rest of my life!

Please give me some hope by telling me how your non-sleeping baby eventually changed. thanks

ILoveYouBaby Sat 28-Jun-14 19:43:51

Following as I'm in the same position. Sob.

Millpond sleep clinic. Best £250 I've ever spent.

stargirl1701 Sat 28-Jun-14 19:45:21

Not helpful but DD started sleeping when we finally got her silent reflux medication right. 8 months.

DuckSongRocks Sat 28-Jun-14 19:45:32

What's your routine? I don't mean Gina Forde but most babies are in some sort of natural rhythm by this stage - maybe 3 naps a day and 2-3 night feeds. Is he waking expecting to be fed or just needs consibg, dummy user etc.

Details pls smile

DuckSongRocks Sat 28-Jun-14 19:45:44

*consoling

MollyWhuppie Sat 28-Jun-14 19:46:03

My non sleeping babies became a sleeping ones pretty much overnight with controlled crying. Will probably get flamed for saying so, but it worked pretty much instantaneously. With two different children.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 28-Jun-14 19:46:28

Why do you think he's waking? Is he hungry? Is it habit? Is it comfort? Is he slightly disturbed and then unable to self settle? Working out why he wakes will help find a solution.

Yama Sat 28-Jun-14 19:47:52

We put him in with his big sister. He was 18 months though.

Not sure if this will make you sad but DD sorted it out by 12 months. We didn't want to do any sort of controlled crying but completely understand those who do. Sleepless nights are he'll

BarbaraPalmer Sat 28-Jun-14 19:49:20

controlled crying
worked quickly and well for both dc

Mirrhi Sat 28-Jun-14 19:49:31

He has 3 naps a day, 2 short ones and a long one, usually at lunchtime.

If he sleeps for 3 hours then he's hungry when he wakes. Less than that he usually wants comfort.

Hell obviously. Not he'll..

trilbydoll Sat 28-Jun-14 19:50:39

DD started doing 4/5/6 hours about 10 months ish, I think she started eating enough solids in the day. She is 13.5 months now, has slept through once but generally manages an 8 hour stretch.

StupidTrombone Sat 28-Jun-14 19:52:07

Nothing worked he just got older.

Was waking ridiculously at 6mo, every 20-40 minutes I remember! I started co-sleeping to stop myself going insane and gradually his periods of sleep just lengthened. It did take years for him to go all night most nights. But take heart that even if you do nothing or nothing works they do get there in their own time. You just have to find a way to survive in the mean time!

Eyelet Sat 28-Jun-14 19:52:18

Dd2 is 13m, she slept through until 4mo and never since.

I am a wreck.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 28-Jun-14 19:53:05

At 6 months he shouldn't really be hungry every 3 hours. Is he feeding properly when he wakes? Is he feeding enough during the day? Could you encourage an extra feed or two during daytime hours?

Luckymum87 Sat 28-Jun-14 19:53:58

I am in completely the same boat with my 7 month old ds, he has 3 daytime naps never for more than half an hour each and wakes every 2 hours all nights, won't then go back to sleep without being fed, I can't see it changing either!

For those who did controlled crying do you just leave them to cry on every night waking? He's ebf too by the way

YorkshireTeaGold Sat 28-Jun-14 19:54:28

Hi! Both my Dds were like this. Ebf and woke 3+ Times for night feeds They slept through whenI night weaned at about this age. Dd1 took 1 night and Dd2 took 4. Youdon't have to do cc or anything... Go in and comfort but don't feed or engage.

To start with I woke for a feed at 10ish when we went tobed so I was confident they weren't really hungry. I spoke to hv about it and as they were both healthy weights it was habit not a nutritional need and there comes a point when you can't physically do it anymore. Dd1 is nearly 3 and has been a decent sleeper since and dd2 is 8 months and usually goes til 6am (touches all wood in house) perhaps speak to your hv if you're unsure?

Good luck! Lack of sleep the worst and after 6 months it really gets you down xxx

DuckSongRocks Sat 28-Jun-14 19:56:10

6 mo is a difficult time in my opinion, weaning sometimes makes sleep worse initially, they become more aware and might be starting teething. In 2-3 months I would start working out a 10/11pm feed and start trying to drop that first. Before that though try and get them to self soothe; to behind with giving them a few mins before you go in, not feeding to sleep etc.

DD an angel until 4mo, then sleep regression. Improved by 9 mo and slept through (12 hrs) at 14mo when I stopped BF. I'd night wean sooner if I knew what I did now.

PartTimeProcrastinator Sat 28-Jun-14 19:56:52

Probably not a helpful answer but DS got to just before his 2nd birthday without sleeping all night. One night trying to put him in his cot he said 'no cot it for baby'. Bought him a bed and he has slept all night pretty consistently since!

Mirrhi Sat 28-Jun-14 19:57:14

He drains a boob in 5 mins but will rarely take much if anything from the second, day or night. I'm trying to encourage extra feeds in the day but he will often just refuse and mess about instead. I now feed in a dark room to try to help him focus too, but if he doesn't want it I have no chance.

frazzeled Sat 28-Jun-14 19:58:50

Agree with the controlled crying - as long as they are not sleeping too much in the day, and are not actually hungry. My two were very, very different (including one with prolific reflux and feeding problems) and it worked unbelievably well.

Good luck!

ItMustBeALime Sat 28-Jun-14 19:58:53

DS1 was like that, and just recalling the sheer torture of never having a refreshing sleep has brought me out in a cold sweat.

He also refused to take a bottle, but at the 6 month mark I was so tired I felt dangerous (I wouldn't drive for example) so enlisted the help of my amazing mum.

Basically, I took him to stay at her house (detached, unlike my flat at the time which had neighbours above, below, left and right who I was terrified of disturbed) and went cold turkey on breast feeding him for 2 days. I carried on pumping to keep up my supply, and my mum and I offered him bottles and food but no boobie. And, she did all the overnight wakings for the 2 nights, meaning I finally got a whole nights sleep.

The bad news was he barely drank anything from the bottle, and after the 2nd day I had to go back to offering him the breast as I was terrified he was becoming dehydrated. The good news was that it was enough to break his habit of waking up every 2-3 hrs over the night, and he started eating far more solids during the day (previously he ate very little). From that point on he has (touch wood) slept at least 7 hours in a row every night, barring teething and illness.

My mum claims he never even cried much overnight and she just gave him little cuddles. However, that could well be a lie as I was so shattered I slept like a log once I knew someone else was looking after him.

Would this kind of approach be a possibility for you? I swear it saved my sanity.

GoogleyEyes Sat 28-Jun-14 20:00:17

I got more knackered and took more shouting to wake up. She got bigger and started demolishing solids. I got better at not running to every sleep squeak. She found her thumb to suck. I kept putting her in the cot, going to the loo, coming back and taking her out again because she was screaming. One day, I came back from the loo, and she wasn't crying, but had gone to sleep. No idea why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now