Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Does anyone else just give up on cooking sometimes?

(40 Posts)
AlpacaPicnic Sat 28-Jun-14 15:04:19

It's been really hot and muggy for a couple of weeks now and I just CBA with doing dinner anymore.
This week we had:-
Monday - fish finger sandwiches.
Tuesday - boiled egg and soldiers
Wednesday - pizza (from the shop not takeout but I did put it in the oven - I then served it on the cardboard box it came in to save on dishes blush )
Thursday - pot noodle and a slice of toast
Friday - fish and chips from the chippie (weekend treat)

I'm not sleeping at nights because it's so hot and bright so I've been really knackerred most of the week - but this is a new low even for me!

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 28-Jun-14 15:10:23

I give up on life in general after a week of not sleeping properly blush

I used to work a lot of nights plus still had to get up early for the school run.

Housework was limited to washing up and light tidying only. Food came from a box and went in the oven.

Don't feel bad about, once in a while won't hurt anyone.

Could you make 'fun food' that the children could take charge of? We're doing our own pizzas tonight. By we I mean, the children. I am supervising from a distance with some wine for company grin

Slow cookers are great too. Just chuck a load of stuff in and turn it on.

Xcountry Sat 28-Jun-14 15:12:49

Nope, what about Spanish food or Italian? lastnight I made chicken salad with potatas bravas and it was yum. sometimes I put off mealtimes till later in the hotter weather but I love cooking.

twostepsister Sat 28-Jun-14 15:17:27

Yes I do if I have worked a long shift and I am too tired to cook, but it would be a salad, rice and tuna or soup and toast.

ouryve Sat 28-Jun-14 15:36:53

I do remember having some hot weather in the dim and distant past. I tend to fill the fridge with salad, cooked chicken, quiches etc and do an awful lot of picky teas. I don't mind boiling veg or briefly grilling something, but try to avoid using the full oven in the late afternoon, when the kitchen's already too hot for comfort.

AlpacaPicnic Sat 28-Jun-14 15:49:05

Ooh, quiche! I forgot about quiche, that's a great CBA dinner...

Dooin - there is one tiny flaw in your suggestion. I have no dcs (probably should have mentioned that)
Do you think I can train the cats to make me tea and toast?
everything I eat has cat hair in it anyway might as well let them cook

Bearcatt Sat 28-Jun-14 15:53:46

I don't do dinner on Tuesdays anymore.
DH plays 5 a side football so makes himself egg on toast when he gets in after 11.
DS2 who is soon to leave home again after returning from Uni has got used to sorting himself out.
I usually have beans on toast.
It's liberating not to ave to think or plan one night a week!

EatShitDerek Sat 28-Jun-14 15:54:20

I dont cook when its just me. I just see it as a waste of time and effort

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 28-Jun-14 15:59:55

I also don't cook when it's just me, I live off free chinese food, fish finger, lettuce and mayo sarnies and cheese, bacon and tomato toasties.

Don't tell the children though, they are only allowed to eat like that once a week grin

BarbaraPalmer Sat 28-Jun-14 16:01:39

we have Shite Night every Thursday - if it's not frozen, takeout, or served on toast, it won't feature on the menu.

I've basically stopped cooking unless it's something I actually want to make - so I made loads of different desserts and jam yesterday.

For dinner we're now eating cold, tapasy things and salad plus microwaveable in the bag potatoes - everyone's getting their vitamins with 5 minutes of effort

I don't cook in summer as far as possible

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Jun-14 16:17:09

I hate cooking, and even more so when it's hot. We have had some very random stuff lately.
Excelled myself last night with a discounted box of Asda stuff containing 2 pizzas some onion rings and potato wedges. blush

Quiche salad tends to feature heavily, along with toasties.

I just lose interest.

CornChips Sat 28-Jun-14 16:18:55

I have just been doing cold meats, boiled eggs and salads lately.

groupiedoo Sat 28-Jun-14 16:23:25

If I was on my own I would live on toast and cereal with the odd takeaway, I have permanent can't be arsdness and only cook because I have to

DoristheCamel Sat 28-Jun-14 16:26:22

After years of doing slimming world and spending endless hours chopping veg salad and fruit I just cannot bring myself to be in the kitchen a moment longer than absolutely neccessary. I so appreciate where you are coming from.
I have had a similarly lazy meal week:

Mon: Ready to eat mackrel with a bagged salad
Tue: Beans on toast
Weds: Ready to eat chicken drum sticks with bagged salad
Thurs: Pizza (on plates)
Fri: Chinese

Today is the most creative I have been - lunch today was ham and cheese wraps with iceburg lettuce I actually washed and cut up myself and a dollop of coleslaw.

If anyone asks for pudding I have been pointing them in the direction of the fruit bowl, yogurt in the fridge or icecream in the freezer.

I just cba to cook and chop stuff anymore.

Yoghurty Sat 28-Jun-14 16:41:20

I'm feeling like this at the moment- I usually love to cook, properly cook but I had a few nights alone last week where dinner was oatcakes, cheddar and grapes. I can't really seem to get it in gear again after that!
Lots of chicken salads and things in wraps have been on the menu smile

Flamesparrow Sat 28-Jun-14 16:46:55

Yep, I've gone from six hrs a week at work to about 21 - 28. Lone parent. Often sick partner (live apart so end up driving to take him meals etc). Plus sudden heat. The most cooking I've done is chucking meat on a bbq. Easy, v little mess, and they eat outside. grin

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 28-Jun-14 16:49:38

I love cooking, really love it, it's a hobby, but yes, sometimes I go through periods of don't feel like it.
That's when I make, 'lobbed on', dinner. Stuff from fridge lobbed on plate=salad, stuff from fridge lobbed on doritoes=nachos, stuff from fridge lobbed on toast=club sandwiches.
Or we have, if you can see it you can eat it night, or my favourite, takeaway.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 28-Jun-14 16:52:43

Oh and I never cook when it's just me, it seems so pointless

Sollers Sat 28-Jun-14 16:53:47

I've gone off making dinner altogether. I'm a bit irked that we have to feed ourselves again tonight. FFS! angry

grin

Dh and I have also agreed that when the children leave we're eating beans or egg on toast or in a jacket every night.

I dream of chucking out all the 'ingredients' and pans and faffy shit in my house.

I've basically taught them to eat healthy and modelled it and now I'm done and going to eat toast grin

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 28-Jun-14 17:02:03

sollers, that's what the crisp cupboard is for <grin>

Heathcliff27 Sat 28-Jun-14 17:02:51

I'm like this just now, everything seems so much effort. Last night I bought a hot cooked chicken from asda and some french bread, already had salad and coleslaw in fridge so that was our meal, picked the meat off, chucked salad etc on plate...job done

DoAndroidsDream Sat 28-Jun-14 17:05:41

Ooh, quiche! I forgot about quiche, that's a great CBA dinner...

Ooh yes. Quiche with tinned potatoes made into a potato salad. Just chop some spring onions and mix with mayo. Add a handful of lettuce and carrots out of a bag of salad.

Undertone Sat 28-Jun-14 17:08:14

I live on my own and I can't be arsed to cook at the best if times (hello m&s count on us ready meals!) but hot weather has allowed me to reach new lows. I broke off a lump of cheddar and folded some bread around it, and ate it. Couldn't even be bothered to slice the cheese. I think I even squeezed ketchup directly onto it before each bite.

Class, me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now