Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Please help! Ants

(23 Posts)
holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 14:54:09

For over a week we have been suffering with an infestation of ants. After not being able to cope any more with ants crawling around every room (including crawling over your feet whilst having a toilet) we had a pest controller in on Monday who sprayed all the outside of the house and all downstairs around the edges of the room and then upstairs in the bathroom and landing and stair with insecticide. On Monday there was a dramatic drop in ant numbers then on Tuesday I picked up over 100 dead ants, then Wednesday about 60, Thursday 50 but them Friday around 60 again.

They are still entering the house now and I see th crawl around for a short while before dying. They are now in the dining room and bathroom mainly as this is where they are entering the house.

After having the pest control out should they not be dead by now?

Please help with any advice I can't bear this any longer.

EatShitDerek Sat 28-Jun-14 14:58:01

I keep finding them. I habe put ant killer around all door and window frames. Nothing seen yet.

I'm dreading the flying ants turning up. My street turns dark because they hover in swarms and fly into you as they are dumb as fuck

PuppyMonkey Sat 28-Jun-14 14:59:01

If you can see where they're entering, from outside, best thing is the old "kettle of boiling water on top of them" trick. Sorry if anyone thinks it's cruel, but that'll soon make them move house.

holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 15:05:33

Thanks for the replies.

I've already had flying ants in my house they are crawling out from under the bath and they are what gross me hit the most.

Before the pest controller came I did the boiling water from where they were coming from but they kept coming. So far we must have had between 1000-1500 ants in the house and around the edge where the insecticide has killed them. As he has sprayed all the outside of the house where they seemed to be coming from I can't do the boiling water anymore as in don't want to wash the spray away however in the front by our path there are new nests popping up and I have just been it with the kettle.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 28-Jun-14 15:10:56

Try Nippon.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000TAW31A?cache=85145123bd307a0dc466fb06c70d561d&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1403964565&sr=8-3#ref=mp_s_a_1_3

The ants take it back to the nest and in a few days it will kill the whole nest.

You can easily keep using it as a preventative too.

You need a bait station. Put it close to where they are coming in and they will take the bait back to their nest. It will then destroy it.

Also spray lemon juice diluted with water around. They don't like the smell so won't cross it.

Ah sorry Fine got there before me.

SolomanDaisy Sat 28-Jun-14 15:16:35

If you know where the nests are, ant stop bait stations are incredibly effective.

gamerchick Sat 28-Jun-14 15:17:47

Go to b&q and buy some bait stations.. put 2 in every room you're seeing them in and they'll die back to a whimper. I feel a bit mean seeing them all form an orderly line in and out of the bait station but you have to do it to keep them under control.

holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 15:23:31

I brought the bait stations from b&q ant rid before the pest man came but I found that the ants all crawled in and then died as soon as they got out so nothing went back to the nest. I do have them out in the ensuite, dining room and kitchen now but none of the ants are going in them and the insecticide the man sprayed is strong so kills them all but it is the nest that I want to kill like you say.

holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 15:24:56

It is just depressing me so much that every day I have these ants coming in and I am also feeling so itchy whenever I am at home which I think is paranoia as i keep worrying the pest man brought different bugs into my house with him.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 28-Jun-14 15:34:01

Have you tried the Nippon stuff?

holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 15:41:54

I have only tried the Nippon ant powder and I have just checked the bait station and it is ant stop.

Would the Nippon liquid linked above be better?

LangenFlugelHappleHoff Sat 28-Jun-14 15:42:22

I love the fact I get to say it again ants cannot fart

Put a little dish of water mixed with icing sugar and bicarbonate soda around he areas they are nesting/entering the house. They will take the sugar particles with the bicarbonate and feed it to the nest. Everyone dies through lack of ability to fart. Mean but effective. ...

DrLizShaw Sat 28-Jun-14 15:49:45

I found ants coming in the porch. The only thing I had to hand was soda crystals and a little heap of them did the trick....

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 28-Jun-14 15:51:41

Worth a try it lasts for ages, and worked for me (though we only had a few). I got it because it was recommended on MN ages ago

holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 15:54:52

Langen - do you use just a tiny amount of water?

holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 15:55:42

I think soon I will have every possible ant killing item going in my house. Thanks for the tips, I'll try anything to get rid of them.

holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 16:36:07

It's getting worse. I just saw a tiny black thing next to my windowsill in the lounge and this burst with blood when I picked it up. Ever since the pest man came I have been worrying that he might have brought another pest with h and now I am even more as I barely looked at it as just presumed it was an ant but I don't think they have red blood.

I found that AntStop, sprayed around the edge of the house stopped the ants coming into my house - nowhere near as bad an infestation as you have, but might still help.

holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 16:42:34

Thanks that's reassuring to know it worked as once the spray from the pest controller has worn off I will be using shop brought spray to try and keep anything else out.

I think you have to renew it every six months, but it was worth it.

holidayseeker Sat 28-Jun-14 16:58:48

Great thanks.

I don't suppose you might know what the tiny black dot thing might have been next to my windowsill which squirted blood when I picked it up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now