Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Crow on my bedroom windowsill - horrible birds.

(45 Posts)
shouldnthavesaid Sat 28-Jun-14 14:30:18

Was sitting on my mattress (bed still to be made up, don't have the bolts as yet so mattress on the floor) half dreaming and a bloody crow walked past my windowsill, stopped and stared in. Gave me the fright of my bloody life. I do have a huge tree that's right beside my window but still..

I managed to frighten the bugger off and then he came back, did the same again sad

I had a similar experience with one a short while ago.

My OCD brain is now churning, and assuming that this is some sort of omen..

Please reassure me that crows don't mean anything?! I know how stupid I sound but I'm feeling quite unwell (not physically) at the moment.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 28-Jun-14 14:32:28

Crows are lovely birds and highly intelligent - they can even use tools.

They are not an omen of anything smile

HillyHolbrook Sat 28-Jun-14 14:34:55

I like crows, I was laughing at a couple yesterday because one was finding rocks and sticks and making a little pile whilst the other watched and guarded the pile, but if the one 'working' stopped, the supervisor would squawk and flap at him til he carried on! They're very clever.

Don't fret, they're no omensmile

ouryve Sat 28-Jun-14 14:38:03

They're just birds. Highly curious birds.

They have regular in flight battles with the blackbirds and jackdaws in our village. That is when you need to hope that one doesn't come too near.

Germgirl Sat 28-Jun-14 14:38:53

Crows are lovely. I'd be pleased to see him. Don't worry about him. He's just nosy.

rembrandtsrockchick Sat 28-Jun-14 14:40:34

Crows are beautiful birds and intelligent too. They mate for life and are devoted parents to each year's offspring.

Spend some time watching them and getting to know them.

There is little that is more entertaining than watching the travails and dramas of a crow family...far more entertaining than any TV soap.

maudpringles Sat 28-Jun-14 14:45:09

I love crows too.
Dont worry about them.

IAmANightOwl Sat 28-Jun-14 14:47:41

All Corvid birds are highly intelligent and mean nothing in terms of omens smile I have been lucky enough to work with them in a rehab centre and they're mischievous, amusing and inquisitive birds. I used to walk around with a sibling pair of Magpies, one on each shoulder grin I was so upset when they were released back into the wild (although I knew this would always be the case and the best thing for them). Enjoy being close to such a beautiful bird (look closely and you'll see a wonderful iridescence to their feathers).

You say they are so intelligent.. Why does our neighbourhood crow take turns to fly into the bedroom window of mine and several neighbours house? 3years now, nearly every morning.

shouldnthavesaid Sat 28-Jun-14 14:58:30

Thank you, I'm slowly feeling calmer. I don't know what's wrong with me, thought I was feeling unsettled due to having missed three nights of anti depressant meds but don't know. Haven't felt so anxious in a long time.

I'm sitting by the window now watching - must be a couple in the tree smile

HavantGuard Sat 28-Jun-14 15:06:45

Yes to nosy.

They've been used as shorthand for spooky in TV, film and literature so we tend to think of them that way. They're just big, noisy birds that are very curious.

GingerBlondecat Sat 28-Jun-14 15:10:49

How on Earth could crows be anything but a thing of beauty and intelligence ?

I count my blessings every time I see these beautiful jet black birds, Things to Marvel. Their intellegance is second to none

Mrsjayy Sat 28-Jun-14 15:11:24

Crows are nosey buggers I crow used to sit on my clothes pole and watch me sort dinner not seen it in a while op are you ok the crow cant harm you

Mrsjayy Sat 28-Jun-14 15:12:15

Washing line pole I mean

I would be so pleased to see a crow on my widow sill! I do love all birds but particularly the great big ones. There's a regular mumsnetter who has a crow called Mortimer as a pet (though I haven't seen her for a while)

HavantGuard Sat 28-Jun-14 15:13:09

It'll be the tablets. Increased anxiety is a recognised side effect when you stop many antidepressants suddenly.

I have a dog that watches me clean like he's watching a tennis match. And when I cook. And read. He has to be in everything. It's embarrassing when you walk past someone's house and he stops dead to stare because they're gardening/have the garage door open.

HavantGuard Sat 28-Jun-14 15:14:49

Mortimer turned out to be Morticia! I think she went to live in a place with other birds that were too injured to be released back into the wild.

Goodwordguide Sat 28-Jun-14 15:18:32

There's one that is constantly trying to attack its own reflection in the window of the building next door to is (v high window or they could put masking tape on it) - several times a day it stands there cawing and packing at it's reflection and it's been going on for about 3 weeks now. I always thought crows were intelligent until this one came along!

Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels feature a rather engaging crow, very bright, biting sense of humour and an unfortunate obsession with round objects. And not at all ominous (unless you are a walnut or a pickled onion).

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Sat 28-Jun-14 15:22:12
ouryve Sat 28-Jun-14 15:43:19

Actually, I do remember being spooked out by our local jackdaws, once. I was out in the back yard, potting on some seedlings and sowing some salads. I became aware of dozens of them, all stood around on various roofs and walls, watching me.

I couldn't clear up and get back indoors quick enough.

Stratter5 Sat 28-Jun-14 15:48:21

I'm here!

Mortician is a raven, but she's still the most beautiful and intelligent bird that ever lived. She lives at a sanctuary now with her husband, and has had two broods of babies.

I miss her every day, she is awesome.

Stratter5 Sat 28-Jun-14 15:50:21

I am a foster mum for my vet, and the local wildlife sanctuary now, I get all the birds grin

I would love another corvid.

Sallyingforth Sat 28-Jun-14 15:51:02

I also love crows - the way they strut about is amazing!
Although they are intelligent they are more timid than some much smaller birds like robins. I've found that they just love greasy chips smile but you have to be really patient before they will take one from your hand.

insancerre Sat 28-Jun-14 15:52:09

I love crows and ravens and rooks
They are amazing.
I have a fascination for them
I also love the film The Crow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now