Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My doctor thinks I have pneumonia :-/

(14 Posts)
NickiFury Sat 28-Jun-14 13:49:55

I've felt horrendous for about two weeks, still managed to get dd to school etc and general tidying up but nothing else. I feel very unwell, like pins in my chest, coughing etc.

I'm just not sure it's pneumonia though, surely I wouldn't be able to move at all if I had it confused?

Anyone else had it and how did you feel? Thanks

JassyRadlett Sat 28-Jun-14 13:53:42

Yep, that sounds like some forms of pneumonia. Your doctor probably knows what he's talking about!

I reacted the same way when I had walking pneumonia - I had very Victorian ideas about it....

madhairday Sat 28-Jun-14 13:54:57

I'm so sorry you've felt so poorly. Pneumonia varies an awful lot in severity - I get it about twice a year (with lung condition) and it can range from feeling a bit rubbish but being able to carry on to being completely laid out and seriously ill in hospital. Has your GP asked you to do a sputum sample so they can see if you're growing any bugs, and referred you for an xray? These things should confirm pneumonia. Has he given you antibiotics?

Hope you feel better soon, it can be utterly miserable.

FannyFifer Sat 28-Jun-14 13:56:16

You can have walking pneumonia.
Have you been sent for X-ray etc. What's the plan?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Sat 28-Jun-14 13:56:59

I brought in the new millenium with pneumonia. I insisted on staying at home, rather than going into hospital, which was probably stupid. I can't recall much but there were a few days when yes, I couldn't move without extreme pain (though I still had to shuffle to the loo) and I rattled with the number of pills (painkillers, antibiotics, steroids) I was taking. However it took a while to develop to that stage, and I might have been able to avoid it had I seen the doctor sooner.

NickiFury Sat 28-Jun-14 14:01:19

I had an X-ray yesterday and will get results next week, blood tests too.

I didn't have any kind of cold symptoms or anything like that beforehand, my chest started rattling all of a sudden so I upped my inhalers (asthmatic) but just got worse until I felt utterly floored. Cold sweats, feeling faint, actually had to lie on the bathroom floor because I couldn't get up one morning. Does that doing like pneumonia? I thought it would start with a cold confused

SirNoel Sat 28-Jun-14 14:03:55

I had psittacosis pneumonia last year and thought they were being faintly ridiculous if I'm honest.

It's only now looking back that I realise, actually, I was pretty poorly

VenusDeWillendorf Sat 28-Jun-14 14:09:17

I think your GP is right.

I had pneumonia for a year - walking pneumonia. Don't remember getting a cold to start, but has a very congested chest, and my asthma inhalers weren't helping. Fell asleep every time I sat down in the evenings. Had sweats and then felt delirious, spinning and faint.

I was on antibiotics and oral steroids for most of that year, also inhalers, red, blue, brown and purple.
Eventually got rid, but looking back I can't believe how I got through that year as I was only on 30 to 40% of my capacity if that.

NickiFury Sat 28-Jun-14 14:12:37

Well it certainly sounds like it could be then I guess. I actually got up feeling ok this morning and now am slumped on the sofa. I was doing the falling asleep as soon as I sat down thing last week.

wfrances Sat 28-Jun-14 14:14:43

i had it again (3rd time )in feb
it came on suddenly friday , with back pain & rigors
sunday woke up with aches and pains everywhere
monday saw gp , no abnormal chest sounds , 100% 02
just fever and rapid heartrate gave me antibs (as i had an infection somewhere)
monday eve- dizzy on standing
tues morn - confused , couldnt breathe and on the verge of collapse
only diagnosed through xray and blood test.
have you had an xray to confirm it?
im still not back to normal nearly 5 months on, horrible illness.

NickiFury Sat 28-Jun-14 14:17:04

Get X-ray results on Monday.

wfrances Sat 28-Jun-14 14:23:49

sorry xpost
what meds are you on?
i had to have clarithromycin and co-amoxiclav and daily heparin injections

NickiFury Sat 28-Jun-14 14:28:12

I'm on those two antibiotics but the Clarithromycin made me feel absolutely horrendous last night, really panicky etc. I googled it and apparently that can be a side effect sad

wfrances Sat 28-Jun-14 14:36:19

yep- i was hallucinating-( seeing flashing blue lights) awfull thrush in my throat ,mouth and down below
so make sure you buy some plain natural organic yougurt
gp told me to take 2 spoonfulls 3 x day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now