Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Awful cough can anyone help?

(15 Posts)
ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 28-Jun-14 02:10:14

Its keeping me up!

Ive been coughing since 7am, and its now 2am and it wont subside enough for me to get some sleep. Its tickly throat and a chesty phlehmy cough. Im pregnant so cant really take anything and I need to find a solution that I can lay my hands on here in the house.

ive tried warm camomile tea - nope.

Anything else? I have to be at work at nine and wont be able to function on no sleep. DH is snoring happily besode me fucker

myusernameis Sat 28-Jun-14 02:12:50

Have you got any lemons/ bottled lemon juice and honey? Mix in with hot water and sip on that. Sometimes I add a bit of ginger too. Hope you manage to get some sleep.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 28-Jun-14 02:13:50

I have lemons but no honey.

I have golden syrup (clutches desperatley at straws)

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 28-Jun-14 02:16:33

Wo

myusernameis Sat 28-Jun-14 02:16:40

Hmm have not tried with golden syrup but might be worth a shot at 2am. Alternatively what about a shot of something alcoholic with hot lemonade? A hot toddy I believe.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 28-Jun-14 02:17:02

Oops would steam help? Considering letting the showerrun and sitting I the steam.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 28-Jun-14 02:17:43

I dont have any lemonade but dh does have some whiskey I could add to the hot water and lemons.

myusernameis Sat 28-Jun-14 02:21:20

Yes steam is good! Maybe do the hot lemon and whiskey thing too...I don't know it sounds a bit rank.

Also just realised you're pregnant, have a bad chesty cough and at this rate are not going to get much sleep. Any chance of having a sick day instead?

myusernameis Sat 28-Jun-14 02:24:46

how stuff works mentions steam. Also eating almonds if you have any. Hot water and lemon (maybe forget the whiskey)!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 28-Jun-14 02:27:10

Ive had two sick days on the trot now (recovering from flu) and I need to be in tomorrow (biggest day of the year in my place of work). Aside from the cough I feel well. Much more well than I have in thw previous 3 or 4 days.

Ok I will go for a steam (will it work if im in the showertoo? Mught as well kill two birds with one stone!)

myusernameis Sat 28-Jun-14 02:42:09

I don't see why not with regards the shower.

Hopefully something will help you feel better.

Maybe work will see you tomo and send you straight back home. Try and take it easy as much as you can. I'm preg and struggling to sleep (hence the 2am posting) but the thought of having the end of the flu and a cough on top is not a nice one!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 28-Jun-14 02:48:49

Ok so I let the shower run really hot and sat in the room for a bit. Turned it down to shower then back up as I dried off. Found a lavender body oil so have slathered that on in the hope that it will soothe me off to sleep and spent a good five more.minutes in the sjower room. No coughing at all while.I was in there! Marvellous!

Going to try propping myself up a bit to sleep, amd yes,I do hope they send me home not long after I get in. Fingers crossed. Thanks for posting tonight thanks

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 28-Jun-14 07:34:07

Vicks on your feet. Slather them and then put socks on.

Bit late for last night though - sorry.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 28-Jun-14 08:02:45

oh ill try that in future!

I slept 3.30-4.30, then 5-6, then 6.30-7 grin

I look and feel like shite. Roll on bedtime.

PetShopGirl Sat 28-Jun-14 08:13:23

Bit late, but if it's still bad today/tonight, a couple if squares of really dark chocolate (like 80%+) can help. Hope you feel better soon anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now