Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Cost of phone/mobile/broadba nd each month

(32 Posts)
greeneggsandjam Fri 27-Jun-14 21:08:04

Hello

I just sat down to work out (as near as possible) how much I spend (as a family) on home phone, broadband and 2 mobile phones. I worked out that it all came to about £32 a month. Is that a lot? I feel like I'm economical and go for basic things all round but it still seems a lot.

What do you all think?

lucysmam Fri 27-Jun-14 21:12:47

We pay £26ish for home phone/broadband and erm....£30ish for mobiles I think (you'd think I would know, I do all the money stuff confused ).

cashmiriana Fri 27-Jun-14 21:19:19

Home phone, broadband and tv = £47 per month of which £23 is television so £24 phone rental, phone call package and broadband.

4 mobiles, totalling £28

MonterayJack Fri 27-Jun-14 21:26:30

Home phone/broadband £26pm with Sky (no tv package so just phone and broadband).

1 Mobile @ £10 per month with giffgaff (500 mins, unlimited texts and 1 gb data)

Total £36 pm.

I did a lot of searching around to get both of these and 'think' for what I get they're about average cost?

greeneggsandjam Fri 27-Jun-14 21:35:35

So perhaps I'm not paying too much then? I could get some kind of tv service thrown in for free apparently with Talk Talk but I'm dubious as to why they would just give it for free, actually they are offering a 6 month discount on home phone (or something) if you take their free tv package. I haven't managed to get around to looking at all the small print to decide if I should go for it to save money for the next 6 months.

greeneggsandjam Fri 27-Jun-14 21:38:06

MoterayJack you could perhps get it cheaper with Talk Talk? Though I suppose it depends how often you use your home phone. You could also then get a cheapish mobile deal, aain depending on how much you need.

Home phone/ basic broadband is 6 pounds a month and includes international calls but not local calls). I paid 115 pounds upfront for the line rental.
We don't have a tv.

Two mobiles, both with giffgaff so we get free calls to each other. Dh pays 10 pounds and I pay 7.50 pounds.

So 23.50 total.

arna Fri 27-Jun-14 21:42:42

Unlimited BT Infinity Broadband - £23 pm + anytime phone for £7pm. I pay the line rental for the whole year in advance currently at £160. DH has a company Iphone (zero cost) plus personal mobile at £8pm and my mobile is £7.50pm (giffgaff)

I'm with talk talk. I think after 6 months it would cost 15 pounds a month on top of phone and broadband but I'm not completely certain.

Bugger, I pay $170 a month for cable,broadband and landline ( I dont watch TV but Dd2 does Ive only got "basic cable ie about 100 channels, I refuse to pay for premium,Dont use the land line much either ). I pay $308 a month for mobile phones ( thats 5 lines though ). I grudge EVERY penny of it

PasswordProtected Sat 28-Jun-14 06:47:49

I am in Europe & with the national telephone encumbent for the landline/broadband as there is only one other choice of provider where I live.
I pay EUR 53.99 per month for landline & broadband, which is unlimited & all national calls are free. The irony is that I am hardly ever here, so I am looking at changing this.
Mobile I have a contract that is EUR 24.99 per month, unlimited texts, free calls to any mobile or landline & something like 500mb data, which I do not use up. It was the best deal at the time, but will be reviewing when the contract is due to expire.

Mumof3xox Sat 28-Jun-14 06:50:50

I am paying much too much!

2 x £33 for mobile
£30 for phone and broadband
£55 for sky

Yikes £151?

greeneggsandjam Sat 28-Jun-14 22:50:58

My goodness Mumof3! What are you thinking??? Im not sure about the American money theoldtrout but it does seem an awful lot. You hve all made me think that perhaps Im not paying too much but I still wish I could cut some of it down. I cant figure out why people would pay extra for TV channels when there are loads on Freeview that cost nothing.

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 28-Jun-14 23:02:30

Talk Talk TV, with kids boost, plus landline and broadband £25, but you get line installation fee (£75) back so the first three months are free.

1 x mobile phone £33 but I get £3.30 for paying early.

£54.70 total

That's quite high compared to most of you. Are all including your BT line rental in that or am I getting ripped off?

Dd1 wants to add a PAYG mobile for Christmas which would add an extra £15 (on the months I had the money) to the monthly total.

amyjayde Sat 28-Jun-14 23:23:28

Home phone, broadband and tv - £45
Mobiles - £50 (1 iPhone 5 and 1 Samsung galaxy)

mouse26 Sat 28-Jun-14 23:28:31

no landline or broadband here.

dps iphone 5 = 37.00
my phone = 18.00
ds1's phone = 13.00

so 68 quid confused

ds1 is only using that sim till the contract ends in November though so that will be replaced with payg soon smile

greeneggsandjam Sun 29-Jun-14 17:16:20

So it turns out I'm paying not a lot compared to most of you! I am very economical with such things though and not really that bothered by the latest gadets/add ons/boosts and so on.

Xcountry Sun 29-Jun-14 17:22:48

2 mobiles, me and DH so £10 each and landline about £15, broadband is about £10, about £45 in total.

McBear Sun 29-Jun-14 17:25:57

I was with O2 when they got bought out by sky so am really lucky to get full tv package, phone and broadband for 15.40 per month. That ends in August as was one year only. Will keep phone and broadband.

I tried payg but it didn't work out so I now have a phone contract of 33 per month. Think that's standard for a mobile

McBear Sun 29-Jun-14 17:26:37

You don't have a tv don't bug????

greeneggsandjam Sun 29-Jun-14 19:00:26

£33 a month for a mobile phone sounds an awful lot for me. I use a phone I already had and I pay £3.50 a month for the calls, texts and internet though I appreciate you don't get that much.

RhondaJean Sun 29-Jun-14 19:04:49

Emm we have phone bb and full sky package, think its £74 a month?

Plus about £60 on 3 mobiles between me, DH and dd1.

£32 is very low IMO.

McBear Sun 29-Jun-14 19:27:35

I previously just used my old iPhone 4 and got payg once the contract was up. £10 got me 168 mins, 400 texts and 1gb internet. I'd always go over the minutes and would have to top up again which is almost the price of a contract and my iPhone was that old it was rubbish. Now I have a shiny new 5s and can call people every day of the month, not just the first two weeks smile

No, McBear. We moved back to the UK last year and didn't have enough space to transport the tv. I don't miss it because I just use Iplayer etc occasionally.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 01-Jul-14 21:55:56

£7.70 my mobile, getting rid in August so £10 payg will last me ages.

£14 bb incl landline.

Dh iphone hmm £17!

So £39ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now