Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I am so fucking proud of myself

(73 Posts)
TipsyBandit Fri 27-Jun-14 18:38:45

We have had a rough, rough few years. I don't want to go into it all because it will out me, but it has been horrendous. We (DH and I) both lost our jobs for a start,through no fault of our own, and at one point our family was also homeless.

Since last summer things have slowly started getting better. We are settled in a beautiful house on a long term lease. Our DC are much happier. We finally got new jobs and have been promoted/had pay rises accordingly.

Four years ago we were surviving on nothing but, benefits and as poor as you could get. I was very depressed for a long time. I saw no way out of our situation, and the world suddenly seemed grey- actually grey.

As from this month, we are no longer eligible to claim any benefits at all- nothing. Everything we pay for comes from our wages, the money we work to earn.

Today we were finally able to buy a car. We have not owned a car in years, and our DC have missed out on so many things as a result. We are now thinking of saving for a small holiday in the autumn.

I know it probably doesn't seem like a lot, but I feel like I have been given hope again, and our lives back. Our lives aren't perfect and they are not easy, but I feel like we are proper, contributing members of the human race once more. I am so thankful that benefits are there when we were desperate and needed them, but I will never again underestimate the hardship and the depression that comes with being reliant solely on welfare. I hope we never have to be in that position again.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm just so happy and proud of us as a family.

Tealady1983 Fri 27-Jun-14 18:42:14

I am so proud of you too grin I've been in a very similar situation too and can appreciate how hard it really x well done and congratulations x

chickydoo Fri 27-Jun-14 18:42:50

Well done you thankswine inspiring

BikeRunSki Fri 27-Jun-14 18:42:50

Brilliant story! Fantastic news! I'm proud of you and i don't even know you. Good for you.

OneInAMillionYou Fri 27-Jun-14 18:43:04

Fantastically well done, what a great example you are for your children. So inspiring.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Fri 27-Jun-14 18:43:07

That is so ABSOLUTELY wonderful - well done to you and your family, Tipsy. You have every right to feel proud. Excellent! flowers

It really does seem like a lot - it is so hard to drag yourself out of the depths, but you've done it. I'm so happy for you.
And Very Best of Luck from now on too

HoneyDragon Fri 27-Jun-14 18:45:43

I so fucking proud of you too grin

I had a moment like that one winter. I was the only person in the house, I was FREEZING, so I put the heating on, because I could. Because we could finally afford to do so.

OriginofSymmetry Fri 27-Jun-14 18:46:28

Nice to read this - well done. You sound very happy and proud and you should do.

Amazing and definitely something to be proud of. smile

permaquandry Fri 27-Jun-14 18:47:35

Brilliant, loverly story, you should be proud of yourselves and feeling happy. thanks

googietheegg Fri 27-Jun-14 18:49:11

Well done you and your family! Awesome work, awesome attitude grin

ElleBellyBeeblebrox Fri 27-Jun-14 18:49:45

That's lovely to read, well done to you all, you should be proud of yourselves. All the best from here smile

TipsyBandit Fri 27-Jun-14 18:50:31

Thank you so much. I'm a bit teary now blush it's been a long, long process, it didn't come easily. First there was DH getting a job, so we were able to come off jobseekers. Then I got a job, and we were no longer eligible for housing benefit- another milestone. I squealed a bit when that letter came through the door grin Then after a while we each got pay rises/promotion, and at that point we were no longer below the official poverty threshold which was AMAZING- our DC no longer living in poverty.

It has been a long, hard road, and it's only now that it's really hit me how far we have come. I think it's the buying of the car- it feels like such a normal, stable family thing to do, just to put down 1.5k on a family car, when a few years ago we had to go two days with no electric because of a benefits fuck up, and I had to count the shopping to every penny- I remember, so clearly, agonising over cheese and bread, because I couldn't afford both, and we only had one tin of beans at home grin And we've just bought a car! And we are going on holiday! Must think of activities/classes to enrol the DC into now

LizzieVereker Fri 27-Jun-14 18:53:07

That's brilliant, there is such satisfaction in just being able to pay the bills, isn't there? Enjoy it! thanks

Muskey Fri 27-Jun-14 18:56:40

I wish you all the best for the future you deserve it.

RiverTam Fri 27-Jun-14 18:59:21

wow, brilliant, now wonder you are so chuffed.

Here, have a glass of wine on me!

Hassled Fri 27-Jun-14 18:59:30

That's just fantastic flowers. And it says a lot that you and your DH have got through that together - many marriages just wouldn't have survived it.

Owllady Fri 27-Jun-14 18:59:56

I am glad you are happy smile and you should be proud of yourself. Above all you have realised how quickly life can turn on you sad and how lucky you are that your hard work has paid off

God that sounds sanctimonious, sorry blush

Owllady Fri 27-Jun-14 19:01:03

Oh you must have a holiday too smile

CMP69 Fri 27-Jun-14 19:02:24

Well done it's lovely to hear a good happy story on here. Hope your future is very very happy

TipsyBandit Fri 27-Jun-14 19:04:11

Thank you all so much grin am opening the wine now- DC are in their beds reading, and DH and I are going to sit in the garden with a glass each grin

FayKnights Fri 27-Jun-14 19:04:37

Bloody excellent Tipsy! I'm fucking proud of you too! (And I never swear!)

MrsWolowitz Fri 27-Jun-14 19:05:43

What an inspiration.

flowers

BellMcEnd Fri 27-Jun-14 19:05:57

A big fat well done to you all! This is lovely to read. I hope you all go from strength to strength flowerssmile

threepiecesuite Fri 27-Jun-14 19:06:40

Wow you've every right to feel very very proud. thanks

We've had a very tight few years but finally coming out of it and today I threw a litre of Pimms and a box of cream cakes in the trolley as a treat. It felt good, wasn't long ago I was counting every penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now