Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What do people want from supermarket/shop staff?

(19 Posts)
LittleMisslikestobebythesea Fri 27-Jun-14 17:59:40

I know people want different things, but I just wondered after reading threads on here what people actually want as I get confused!

I work in retail, and I would prefer someone who was friendly and chatty to someone who was rude!

I hate being ignored and when staff talk to each other when you are being served.

I always say hello to customers and talk about something general like the weather! I try and judge how much to talk by how they answer/if they are interested.

I always say thank you and good bye when I have finished serving.

I have social anxiety so find it hard to know what people think grin

I always smile though even though I'm an introvert, I'm exhausted by the time I finish work!

ApocalypseNowt Fri 27-Jun-14 18:01:34

You sound spot on LittleMiss.

My biggest bugbear is staff chatting to each when they're serving me or i'm trying to get their attention.

Definitely prefer friendly/chatty to rude!

Tommy Fri 27-Jun-14 18:03:15

at least I expect common courtesy (that includes not talking to your colleagues when you are serving me) at best i like a friendly server. There is one woman at my Sainsbury's who has won employee of the month several times because she is so upbeat and seems genuinely happy to be there - makes everyone feel happy!

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 27-Jun-14 18:04:29

A - be visible when I need to know where something is
B - get thee to the tills when there is a queue. Why spend all that time and effort and not be there to take the money?

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Fri 27-Jun-14 18:05:35

I think you're getting it right. You sound very clued up and sensible.

My bugbear is when they really can't give a fuck. They don't want to serve you. They'd rather chat to their friend, stare out of the window, chomp on gum, look bored...

I'd rather just be told to fuck off than put up with that PA shit.

The moon on a stick.

It's such an individual thing that I don't think you can ever please everybody, every time. You just have to be a bit thick skinned about it. One person will want to chat, another will walk away whilst you're in the middle of answering their question. Some people want short answers, others will find that too abrupt. Like you say, you have to try and judge it as a case-by-case situation.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 27-Jun-14 18:08:06

I hate asking a supermarket staff "do you stock xxxx?" And them not knowing. Surely you should know your product range? And im not talking a specific brand of xxxx, just xxxxxx in general.

Chocotrekkie Fri 27-Jun-14 18:09:29

See I love the aldi staff.
The people restocking things are really helpful and happy to reach things for you/point you in the right direction. It never feels like an inconvenience and if they don't know they'll go and get the manager.
Some of the other stores grunt "don't know if we've got any more milk - I work in bread"
I don't mind that you don't know but go and get someone who does.

The checkout people are so busy scanning my shopping really quickly you can only exchange a few words with them.

I hate slow service - i want to get in and out as quickly as possible.

Hate the staff chatting between themselves when serving me - it's rude.

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Fri 27-Jun-14 18:12:31

think would it bother you if they didn't know but checked?

Our store is medium sized but you usually only stock one section, so while I have a general idea, if I didn't know I would look in the area or check, the stock seems to change a lot too confused

I hate it when they move everything around! I know it annoys customers too (I know they do it so they have to look around/might buy something different) I usually just say oh it's so annoying it confuses me to confused

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 27-Jun-14 18:17:18

Thatd be fine - "ooh I dont know but if we did itd be here, ill show you"

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Fri 27-Jun-14 18:22:37

Basic manners really. You can't please everyone. If whoever is serving me wants to make small talk I will chat back, sometimes I even start a convo myself. I wasn't the most chattiest shop assistant as there simply wasn't the time. And after serving a few rude asshole customers I stopped bothering to even try and be cheerful. It can spoil your shift if happen to serve asshole after asshole.

jimijack Fri 27-Jun-14 18:37:56

I don't want them to put the receipt in my hand then pile the notes & change on top.

I HATE it when they ask how I am and what I have done today. They are not in the least bit interested and neither am I in telling them.

HATE being pounced on when I step foot into a shop, hate being asked if I have found everything I was looking for at the tills.

I actively avoid such shops now.

I love Aldi, they all smile but are quick & efficient. No pissing around chatting. They get on the tills and obviously keep an eye on how busy the shop floor is. All tills up & running when it gets busy.
I am in & out within 25 minutes with a full weeks shop. Just how I like it.

daisychain01 Fri 27-Jun-14 18:59:40

HATE being pounced on when I step foot into a shop, hate being asked if I have found everything I was looking for at the tills
^ . .
Me too

The other thing that winds me up stabby proportions is the first words a shop assistant (normally young gel-haired yooof) greets me with is ....

"Yer riiiiiiight, mate???"

I mean, who TAF has trained someone to say that to a customer. I genuinely am not expecting someone to roll out the red carpet, but I'm not that person's mate they've bumped into down the pub/nightclub/dVD shop.

Strawdolly Fri 27-Jun-14 19:27:00

I HATE it when they ask how I am and what I have done today. They are not in the least bit interested and neither am I in telling them.

Me too, I'd rather have general chitchat about the weather/how busy the shop is/I like that fruit cake you've bought than personal things that you know they've been trained to ask.

RunAwayHome Fri 27-Jun-14 20:08:34

and if I ask them if they have/will be getting a particular thing that isn't displayed or that they're out of, and tell them that I am not looking for some other thing that they have, I hate it when they just generally take me back to the same area and point to the thing I've rejected, or stand around pointing to or reading the labels on other products, when they are very clearly NOT what I've asked for and been specific about. Quite obviously, I've already looked and read everything there, and I want someone who either knows the stock and knows what they're talking about, or someone who says, sorry but I can't help. I know they must be told that they have to try to suggest something, but I find it so irritating when I've specifically said what I don't want/what I need, and they just suggest unsuitable products for the sake of saying something.

RunAwayHome Fri 27-Jun-14 20:13:09

and coins first, into my hand, so that I can put them away.

Notes afterwards and receipt with them if needed (actually I'd prefer the receipt in the bag, but not a big deal). Just coins first so that I don't have to sort the stuff out with one hand.

Pleasantries fine, no need for chit chat about what I'm doing that day or personal stuff like that, because I don't know what to say as they clearly dont' care and wouldn't know what to say back. Just people available to help, not chatting to other staff, just seeming interested in their job would be enough for me. Not standing around in intimidating groups when I walk in. Just looking up and a quick smile to acknowledge me. Even if they're serving someone else/busy, a quick smile to let me know I've been seeing if I'm waiting is helpful.

LarrytheCucumber Fri 27-Jun-14 20:34:24

I really hate staff chatting amongst themselves when they are 'serving' me.Even happens in Waitrose and a lot in M & S and is just plain rude.
Just be polite and smile. Some people in shops seem to forget that if there were no customers they would have no job.
And if your friend comes to your till don't slow down and talk to her making her six items last as long as the 26 the person at the next till has managed.

itsbetterthanabox Fri 27-Jun-14 20:51:52

I want them to leave me alone but be available if I need to ask something and try to be as helpful as possible. Don't be rude or overly chatty either. I work in customer services but on the phone and I can't just fob people off with and 'I don't know' so shop staff shouldn't either.

ThePowerOfMe Fri 27-Jun-14 20:53:42

The only thing I don't like is when they stop what they're meant to be doing (running the shopping through the tills usually) to chat.
Once a cashier in Tesco's was having a general chat about babies with me and then stopped her work so she could tell me all about her dils fertility issues. It seems to happen a lot when I'm shopping with a baby.
I do actually have better things to do than supermarket shopping so just get on with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now