Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

what on earth are these lumps/boils on my daughter's leg?

(14 Posts)
numptieseverywhere Fri 27-Jun-14 13:30:41

my daughter has several small reddish bumps on the back of her leg. They've been there a few weeks, but not going away at all.
They appear to be fluid filled.
I've no idea what they could be.
I've got an appointment with the docs next week.
Any clues?

apermanentheadache Fri 27-Jun-14 13:31:38

Molloscum?

kelda Fri 27-Jun-14 13:31:43

Possibly molluscum contagiosum?

ShoeWhore Fri 27-Jun-14 13:33:26

Yes look like Molloscum to me

MaryShelley Fri 27-Jun-14 13:37:08

Molluscum. Looksike what my dd has - 6 months + now!

numptieseverywhere Fri 27-Jun-14 13:39:37

Thanks. I've just googled it.
Sounds exactly the same as what she has.
So it's not treatable and will disappear after 12-18 months? She's a bit self conscious about them cos she's 11. She doesn't want to wear skirts or shorts at the moment.

sleepyhead Fri 27-Jun-14 13:43:01

Ds1's disappeared after about 6 months.

There are loads of "treatments" but little evidence that any of them work afaik.

As molluscum disappears eventually anyway it's impossible to know whether something works or its just coincidence.

numptieseverywhere Fri 27-Jun-14 13:44:49

thanks Mumsnet.
I've spent ages googling and Mumsnet came back with the answer in 5 minutes!

kippersmum Fri 27-Jun-14 14:08:15

Definitely molluscum. DD2 had it for 18 months. We tried all sorts of stuff & it eventually went when we used Thuja cream, but I don't know if that was coincidence or not

ShergarAndSpies Fri 27-Jun-14 14:11:05

Do consider trying a visit to a homeopath. We took DSand they got rid of his pretty much straight away with no pain or hassle.

I know lots of people are very cynical about it (I certainly was!) but it genuinely worked and I wish we'd gone to see her sooner.

ShergarAndSpies Fri 27-Jun-14 14:13:52

^ Thuja is a homeopathic remedy by the way. But you'll get a better / faster result combining it with other tailored remedies to the particular person.

Earlybird Fri 27-Jun-14 14:18:02

For quite a while, there was an unofficial 'expert' here on Mumsnet who advocated dipping a cocktail stick in iodine and pricking open the head of the molluscum. She advised doing that several times over a period of time. Iirc, there was something about the body's immune system that was activated by this process, and it would 'attack' the virus (that caused the molluscum).

The pricking (obviously) wasn't pleasant (again, it has been a while, but if iirc some Mnetters let their dc do this rather than the trauma of having it done to them). The molluscum will scab over, and then heal/go away.

Do an advanced search of archived threads, and I bet you can find it. She was very active with this advice a few years ago - maybe she is still here? Sorry I can't be more specific.

Fwiw, we used this method on dd (who had these spots on her upper lip/under her nose), and it worked.

apermanentheadache Fri 27-Jun-14 14:39:04

I would go with watch and wait or picking open the molloscum over homeopathy to be honest. Thuja remedy is just .... sugar and water grin [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0&feature=kp homeopathic A & E)

apermanentheadache Fri 27-Jun-14 14:39:25

Oh that didn't work blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now