Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Am really stuck...any good ideas of what our newborn son can give his 20 month old big brother?

(41 Posts)
mameulah Fri 27-Jun-14 13:00:54

It feels like it should be an extra special thoughtful gift. I can't think of anything.

Anyone help?

tia

ChairmanWow Fri 27-Jun-14 13:04:33

We got DS, who had just turned too, a ride-on ladybird from his baby sis. It wasn't cheap but he was thrilled with it!

TheIronGnome Fri 27-Jun-14 13:05:30

Bulk train track job lot from ebay?? It doesn't need to necessarily be extra special or thoughful from your perspective- just something which your ds can play with for years to come. What does he like and play with now?

mameulah Fri 27-Jun-14 13:05:42

We already have a ride on cow thingy that we got second hand. He is just getting into it. Did you get something for your toddler to give the newborn?

WilliamShatner Fri 27-Jun-14 13:05:50

Will he believe that it's from the baby?

When I had my daughter I arranged for my son who was two years and nine months to have a baby of his own by way of a cabbage patch baby!

There was mummy's baby and his baby to take home from the hospital that day.

He still has her and he'll be 19 soon!

CuppaSarah Fri 27-Jun-14 13:06:20

I used to work in a preschool, sweets were always a super popular gift from new siblings! They would burst through the door exploding with joy becuase they got a really special sweetie from their newborn sibling.

How old is your son? That has a big say on what would work well.

mameulah Fri 27-Jun-14 13:06:39

Oh, I never thought of a train track thingy. I think he would like that.

I have been maybe barking up the wrong tree. I had been thinking of something small that would be in the baby's cot.

mameulah Fri 27-Jun-14 13:07:37

He will be twenty months. The sweetie would definitely be a hit!

Off to check out cabbage patch dolls...

CuppaSarah Fri 27-Jun-14 13:08:32

Whoops just seen his age! I think somethong nice he'll be able to play with his new sibling when they're old enough would be great!

NinePeedles Fri 27-Jun-14 13:08:41

What about a nice book all about getting a new baby?

JassyRadlett Fri 27-Jun-14 13:09:43

Yes, I wonder if a baby doll and doll's buggy might be good? My DS is 2.9 and still adores his toy buggy.

When DS was 18 months old we got him an ELC toy garage when we moved house to sweeten the deal. He had no transition issues anyway but he has very much loved the garage from day 1.

Other idea is a BRIO-style train set?

tryingtocatchthewind Fri 27-Jun-14 13:10:28

I'm due in a few months and I'm just going to get my 2 year old a toy that I know he'll like (digger, car, train etc). Think about what your son would really like and get excited over rather than some sentimental keepsake that your son won't really get. Although you could get both.

mameulah Fri 27-Jun-14 13:11:39

I think I like the train track idea and the book about a new baby.

Do you reckon if our pfb ds went out with Daddy to choose a soft toy to give to the baby in the hospital it would go down well? Or would it be rubbish because he would then have to give away 'his' toy that he just chose when so many other things are changing in his life?

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Fri 27-Jun-14 13:12:28

DD brought a Sportacus dressing up outfit for her 3.5y brother, and when he opened he went 'how did she know it's my favourite thing?!!', he absolutely loved it.

Sparklingbrook Fri 27-Jun-14 13:14:33

How about something like this

Great to play in when you are busy with feeding etc.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Fri 27-Jun-14 13:16:05

We brought DS2 who was 21 months old when DS3 was born his first garage and 6 wooden cars from ELC. He loved them, he had never played on his own much before but would spend ages playing with the garage. I used to put the cars away and get them out during the early days of feeding. The feeds took a long time and my toddler would enjoy new favourite toys and I could do a really good feed and not worry to much about DS2 knowing he was occupied and safe.

steppemum Fri 27-Jun-14 13:16:53

dd1 'bought' a tool kit box full of toy tools, and Bob the Builder belt. Ds still remembers.

dd2 bought him a proper train for his cheapy wooden train track (was one of the Thomas characters)

bridgetjonesmassivepants Fri 27-Jun-14 13:18:51

Train table with track if you have room. We did this for my 24 month old when we had his sister. It was the best thing ever, he played with it for six hours on the first day! Ours was £100 on sale from Toysrus and included lots of track and trains.

www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Toys/Cars-and-Trains/Toy-Trains-and-Playsets/Mountain-Rock-Train-Table(0124360)?searchPosition=1

Beehatch Fri 27-Jun-14 13:20:05

DD got a micro mini scooter and it is still going strong for DS 4 years later. It came into its own when she had to give up using the pushchair.

puddock Fri 27-Jun-14 13:21:14

DS2 brought DS1 a new pair of (red Thomas) wellies.
DS1 was delighted and definitely remembers it because he told DS2 all about it a couple of years later when he grew into the wellies himself.

BeanyIsPregnant Fri 27-Jun-14 13:23:08

Is this a thing?! I'm due to give birth in a month, and dd will be 18mo.. Do I need to get her a present from baby?!?! Are they even really old enough to comprehend this?! :/

We got him a copy of guess how much I love you and a particularly lovely wooden racing car. He loves them and did think they were from DD. We'd got him a doll while I was pg, which backfired a bit as he thought DD was my new dolly and utterly freaked out when he worked out she was real. Screamed, tried to pull her hair, smacked her, then hid crying. Was awful and utterly heart breaking.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Fri 27-Jun-14 13:29:09

Beany of course it isn't an actual 'thing'. Some people have found it's a way of making the first few days and weeks with a new baby go a bit smoother. I have lovely memories of feeding DS1, DS2 with his new cars, there was never any jealousy. I don't know if this was because of the small age gap, the new cars or just luck.

orangina Fri 27-Jun-14 13:34:14

newborn ds gave toddler dd a load of bubble blowing kit from ELC. And dd gave him a soft toy of some sort which has remained his absolutely favourite 7+ years on.....

BeanyIsPregnant Fri 27-Jun-14 13:35:04

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as rude, genuinly surprised.. I hadn't even thought of this although with 4 weeks to go I also haven't packed my hospital bag!

I might get dd a dolly so she can copy what I'm doing? :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now