Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What car would you buy?

(58 Posts)
HappyYoni Thu 26-Jun-14 20:43:42

If you were a new driver in your mid 30's, looking for something small, safe, not too powerful, easy/comfortable and reasonably environmentally friendly? And obviously quite reliable?

This is a whole new world for me, I know not what I'm doing!

bayrans Thu 26-Jun-14 20:45:14

Mini one or fiat 500.

I love my mini but it's a JCW sports so wouldn't recommend for a new driver :-)

Mini all the way. I love my Mini.

stargirl1701 Thu 26-Jun-14 20:46:57
Preciousbane Thu 26-Jun-14 20:47:35

Toyota yaris, very reliable.

Bayrans - I have the Countryman JCW, the best car I have even owned.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 26-Jun-14 20:49:08

I have a cirtreo C3 diesel and really rather like it.

ReadyToBreak Thu 26-Jun-14 20:50:31

New Ford Fiesta or new BMW one series. Depends on your budget!

My BMW is the best car I've ever owned.

Xcountry Thu 26-Jun-14 20:54:38

not a fiat, Peugeot or Renault. fiat are known as Fix It Again Tomorrow and the other pair are just as bad. unless you intend to drive between your house and the garage for the entire time you have it that is?

for reliability Nissan ford or Honda are usually good, Toyota used to be but have been slated recently, Vauxhalls tend to drink fuel but the best small car I ever drove (and I have a ford ranger) is a VW golf.

To get more miles for your money look at getting a diesel rather than a petrol, costs me less to run my 2.2 turbo diesel than it does for my Mil to run her 1ltr petrol fiat panda - again too much driving to the garage and back.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Thu 26-Jun-14 20:56:11

Vw up or skoda citigo

BikeRunSki Thu 26-Jun-14 20:57:11

Skoda Fabia.

RhondaJean Thu 26-Jun-14 20:58:22

Only consider diesel if you regularly drive quite long distances, if you are going to be driving round the town a diesel is not for that. It breaks it (can't remember details but it does!)

I drive an Astra and its a great car, for a first I would consider a corsa. There's a reason there are loads of them on the road - they are cheap, reliable, easy to get repairs and replacement parts.

ouryve Thu 26-Jun-14 21:00:58

We've never had trouble with our Toyotas, Xcountry. The Auris went through a ropey patch and there have been some recalls, but these were recalled before anything actually happened, unlike some manufacturers.

We'd probably go for a Yaris or maybe a Nissan Micra or Note. Couldn't get the boys in anything smaller - we chose our own (not small) car with the fact in mind that they'll potentially be tall, lanky teenagers by the time we're done with it and the oldest has his dad's long legs.

Badvoc2 Thu 26-Jun-14 21:01:06

Corsa

HappyYoni Thu 26-Jun-14 21:01:59

Oh this is all really useful, thank you smile
I learned in a Clio and really liked it so assumed I would head towards that but I few people have said they are unrealisable. I have also driven a polo for work and found it ok but a bit wobbly and noisy.
Will be looking for second hand probably maximum budget of 5 or 6 k

ouryve Thu 26-Jun-14 21:04:30

Rhonda - it's necessary to get the revs up, regularly in order to clean up the DPF. Unless you're the poor sap who bought our old Mazda 6, in which case, sorry, as soon as you try to travel any distance in it, the DPF dies. Though you've probably given up and driven to a backstreet garage and had it drilled out by now.

HappyYoni Thu 26-Jun-14 21:06:30

What's a DPF?

InkleWinkle Thu 26-Jun-14 21:11:19

Toyota Aygo
Fab but only 2 seats in the back if that's an issue.

HappyYoni Thu 26-Jun-14 21:12:47

Nope no problem with only two seats in the back

DontPutMeDownForCardio Thu 26-Jun-14 21:12:53

New Ford focus. Doesn't feel big to drive and fits all your criteria.

bayrans Thu 26-Jun-14 21:19:49

If you've only got 5/6k then I would second a ford Fiesta or Ka. I had a brand new, new shape fiesta in 2008, it had a/c, Bluetooth, mp3. It was reliable, good fuel economy, good looks.
You could probably get one about 4 or 5 years old for that money with reasonable mileage.

Xcountry Thu 26-Jun-14 21:21:55

seems to be the aygo from Toyota that's getting slated, electrical mishaps and alternator stuff going wrong and Toyota not taking proactive action. I would agree on the Nissan front though. had two nissans before and always been good runners - really reliable and last year our 14 year old Nissan was brought in for a replacement airbag (free of charge I might add) because of a recall on a part - 14 years later. Really good service from them but the ranger outstrips the navara for what I need it for.

commonorgarden Thu 26-Jun-14 21:22:28

I second BikeRunSki 's Skoda Fabia. Very reliable, safe and fuel efficient.

BeCool Thu 26-Jun-14 21:26:57

I love my vw polo. Not very glamorous but ticks all your boxes.

BeCool Thu 26-Jun-14 21:27:56

And no rattles at all grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now