Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

are you an immigrant ? food related sorry no bun fight!

(55 Posts)
Frogisatwat Thu 26-Jun-14 20:06:44

If so what British thing has really excited you? I have two lovely spanish people working for me and I would like to give them a gift to take home to spain. Ideally a sweet or food treat. Something that has really excited you upon discovering and you can't get in your country of origin.
My treats in Spain are bocabits crisps matutano 3d. Pipas. I used to beg usa visitors for reeses pieces but you can get those here now
it doesn't matter where you hail from. Any suggestions welcome!

Frogisatwat Thu 26-Jun-14 20:08:59

Actually sorry no bunfight looks a bit shit. I didn't know what else to call my thread and was worried people might take it the wrong way..gah when in a hole. ..

somewherewest Thu 26-Jun-14 20:09:12

I'm Irish (not very exotic!) but I love good quality chutneys. I brought some over to German foodie friends as a present and they loved them.

ToysRLuv Thu 26-Jun-14 20:10:24

Popping Candy

Bluestocking Thu 26-Jun-14 20:14:10

I have found that really good fudge is a hugely successful present!

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Thu 26-Jun-14 20:14:49

Sloe gin. Hobnobs. Bradenham ham as a contrast to jamon iberico. A pick and mix from The World's Oldest Sweet Shop. Patak's Lime Pickle. A block of tablet. Kendal Mint Cake.

I'm an immigrant but the other way round, British in USA. I always buy licorice allsorts and aniseed balls when I'm in the uk....

English tea!

TheLeftovermonster Thu 26-Jun-14 20:33:39

Beer (bitter).
Fudge is good, Eccles cakes too.
Orange marmalade (ironically).

ShakeYourTailFeathers Thu 26-Jun-14 20:35:40

Jaffa cakes

ExitPursuedByAKoalaBear Thu 26-Jun-14 20:37:33

Pontefract cakes

Liquorice tablets

hennybeans Thu 26-Jun-14 20:48:10

I always bring bags of oddly flavoured crisps to my American family. Things like roast beef, prawn cocktail and... well you know, the weird ones you can find. grin In the States we just have 'normal' crisps like salted, sour cream and onion, and I can't think what other flavours- but nothing outlandish like in the UK.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Thu 26-Jun-14 20:51:51

My family who have emigrated always miss the following

Marmite
Dairy milk
Cheese and onion crisps
Tea

Morethanalittlebitconfused Thu 26-Jun-14 20:52:32

Yes as per previous post oddly flavoured crisps are missed greatly by my family!

TheSpottedZebra Thu 26-Jun-14 20:54:08

I take hot cross buns by the lorryload to my French family.

DrankSangriaInThePark Thu 26-Jun-14 20:57:10

I've just asked dp (Italian) and he says cheese.

KiaOraOAotearoa Thu 26-Jun-14 21:02:20

After 8s have always been a hit.
Fantail shortbread.
The children seem to favour poppets.
Anything they sell in those silly tin boxes in shape of phone box/buckingham palace (toffees).

KiaOraOAotearoa Thu 26-Jun-14 21:03:32

Oh, and the UFO's, those rice paper discs with 'stuff' in, kids loved that too. And the necklaces and bracelets made of candy.

storynanny2 Thu 26-Jun-14 21:06:32

Far East OH says Cornish pasties, roast beef dinners, scones and chocolate fudge!

storynanny2 Thu 26-Jun-14 21:07:43

He didn't really understand my question though! Don't think you could transport a roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner on a 9 hour flight!

Liara Thu 26-Jun-14 21:08:11

Clotted cream! But not if they are taking hand luggage only, they are prone to considering it a liquid and confiscating it.

redexpat Thu 26-Jun-14 21:15:48

am in denmark and just gave the staff at my placement a selection of crisps from the english shop in germany, plus branston pickle.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Thu 26-Jun-14 21:18:48

Ooh, I did this once! Marmite, very English jam, chutney, hard or blue cheese, crackers, Gentlemen's Relish, tea, elderflower cordial, shortbread ....

ToysRLuv Thu 26-Jun-14 21:23:48

Gentlemen's relish? Is that real? I though it was umm.. something ruder..

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Thu 26-Jun-14 21:35:09

It's real. It's made of anchovies. It's yummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now