Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What was your life like when you were 25?

(138 Posts)
Berryglitter Thu 26-Jun-14 20:01:13

Just that really, I turn 25 on Monday and I can honestly say this is not what I thought my life would be like when I imagined it as a teenager.

I thought I'd be married or at least in a long term relationship, didn't think I'd have any dcs, thought I'd have a wonderful job etc.

Is there time? Or is this how it's going to be? I'm very happy, have a lovely 5 year old, a comfortable lifestyle, dp of a year and brilliant friends but nothing like I thought it would be.

AngelsInWinter Thu 26-Jun-14 20:04:41

I turn 25 on Saturday smile

I thought I'd be doing whatever my parents had managed to force me into.

But I'm not smile

Berryglitter Thu 26-Jun-14 20:05:48

Oh happy birthday to you for Saturday! Hope you have a fabulous day.

Mumof3xox Thu 26-Jun-14 20:07:02

I am 26

When I turned 25 I was 6 months pregnant with my dc3

I had two older dc and had been with their dad since I was 19

We lived in a private rented house (still do) and I had a full time job (now 3 days)

When I was younger I always used to say no settling down, kids etc til I turn 25! Didn't work out that way

CruCru Thu 26-Jun-14 20:09:13

Hope you have a great day.

I was living in a shared house, working really hard at my job in the City. I went boozing a lot but never really are much food. I had a boyfriend who lived nearby. Halfway through the year I moved in to my flat which was lovely.

AngelsInWinter Thu 26-Jun-14 20:11:45

Thank you, happy birthday to you for Monday!

I think your life sounds pretty good to be honest xx

PortofinoRevisited Thu 26-Jun-14 20:13:00

My life is vastly different! Aged 25 I was living with someone and had a job. 20 years on I am married (to someone else), with a proper career, a child, and living in a different country. Life is what you make it. If you are not happy with your lot, you have all the time in the world to try and do something about it. It's not always easy of course....

Berryglitter Thu 26-Jun-14 20:13:25

Thank you. Have a surprise party (not a surprise but the 10year old planning it, thinks it is) with dp, his mum, his mum's partner, his daughter (aforementioned 10 year old) and lots of friends, tomorrow night so that will be lovely. I'm very lucky.

It's just hit me really that my life is not at all what I expected, not in a bad way, just completely different.

I don't think my late father would be too impressed with it. He wanted me to be a lawyer.

EvilHerbivore Thu 26-Jun-14 20:14:00

On the day I turned 25?

Thought - I'd be maybe starting to think of having children in the next 5 or so years
Reality - I was 3 months pregnant with DS2!

Thought - I'd have my own house/car
Reality - Ha! Not without a lottery win!

Thought - I'd have finished my degree and be running my own project
Reality - I did finish my degree and joined a very new project to help get it running but it not my own, however seeing how much full-on work it is first hand and having 2 small DC I'm not that bothered anymore

Thought - I'd be starting to think of getting with someone seriously/long-term
Reality - Been with DP nearly 6 years, getting married next autumn

Salmonspringroll Thu 26-Jun-14 20:14:39

Turned 25 in April, had my first baby in May. Been with partner 5 years. Renting. Still feel 18 and out of my depth tbh! X

BeachyKeen Thu 26-Jun-14 20:14:44

At 25, I married (for 5 years at that point) with a 6 yo and a 4yo. We lived near our families, had ok-ish jobs, and changed our plans for the future about once a week!

We are still married, the kids are 17 and 15, we live thousands of kms away from our families. DH has a good job, I am at home with a long term illness.

angeltulips Thu 26-Jun-14 20:16:15

Happy birthday!

My life was FUCKING FANTASTIC when I was 25. Living in my first share house (that wasn't a slum, it was a beautiful cottage), working and travelling all over he world, crazy fun times with friends. and i was finally, totally over my ex of 6 years who id split up with at 23. Oh, and at 26, I met now-DH - so I look back on 25 as my last year of unbridled selfish fun.

I Do remember being a bit worried that I thought I'd be married by 27 and that was clearly now not going to happen, but by and large I distracted myself with handsome inappropriate men when those dark thoughts struck grin

Sicaq Thu 26-Jun-14 20:16:23

Happy nearly birthday!

I was socially clueless: no idea how to dress, chat, make friends. Was working two night jobs as well as doing a full-time MSc, so exhausted all the time. Never been on so much as a date. I was nothing like the sophisticated grown-up I thought I would be.

Fifteen years later, I'm still feel like a big kid - but at least I am a more presentable big kid grin

Lived in paris, worked hard, partied harder, awesome circle of friends, own apartment .... I miss those days!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Thu 26-Jun-14 20:18:35

Married two years, still living with my dm and df, about to move into a cold damp flat for independence. (Instead was skint with pleurisy)No kids, working at a job I was shit at, applying for Uni,had lots of great friends and social life. Life was interesting.
Many happy returns!

PeachTrees Thu 26-Jun-14 20:18:40

I'm 25 now smile. Got dd 10months, been with DP 7 and a half years and have bought our own home. I didn't think I'd be a home owner at my age.

Ludways Thu 26-Jun-14 20:19:56

I'm 47, at 25 I was living alone, I'd just returned to this country after 6 years in the states. I was happy but having a family was the very last thing on my mind. It would be another 6 years before I started seeing my now dh and another 9 years before I started a family.

Oh to be young again, lol

Pinkelephanty Thu 26-Jun-14 20:20:42

Happy Birthday!

I was married with a 3 year old and about to give birth to ds2 any day. My life pretty much has turned out how I imagined (so far) although I did expect to have more disposable income now than I did when I was 17!

Berryglitter Thu 26-Jun-14 20:21:04

Angrltulips that made me smile. It's so strange hoe what we all seem to think our lives will be like, ends up being so different.

Never thought I'd be a cleaner, I was hideously messy as a child/teen. I thought I'd be some high powered legal maniac. Ahh young berry, if only you stuck at college.

PinkSquash Thu 26-Jun-14 20:23:04

At 25, I had DS1 (then age 5) and a DSS. I got married on my 25th birthday [outs self] I was and still living in an area not of my choosing nowhere near where I thought I would be but we bought our own home. I never thought I'd have DC quite so early on or be settled down. Or be so far away from family.

Had just got back from second stint travelling around the world. Was living with boyfriend (now ex) and building career and partying, a lot.

Miss those fantastic days of freedom, but have a fab dh and after 7 years together we started our family.

We both miss our hedonistic days though!

Happy birthday I'd love tot be 25 again!

mizu Thu 26-Jun-14 20:23:16

Was living in Tokyo, best time ever, teaching English and learning Japanese. Great group of friends, social life, single.

Now, 16 years later, I look back at that time as wonderful, so free and easy. Love my life now and I wouldn't change it, but 25 was a special time.

Rowboat Thu 26-Jun-14 20:23:37

25 was a bad year, lost my second beloved grandparent in a year, fighting depression, had disastrous relationship for which I gave up my job and took another in his town (on his encouragement) only for him to ditch me before I'd even moved. Spent 6 months at that horrible job and living in a shit hole owned by another ex's father who later screwed me over on notice period, etc.
When I was 26 I met my now dh and I'm now 33, happily married with 2 beautiful dc, in a job that, whilst not be dream job (not sure what that is) it's certainly a good one. We own a lovely little house that's far too small for all our stuff but it's ours and we can afford it. 25 is still so young, but I remember having angst at that age too. Really I think that's why a huge amount of the shit happened. smile

Yama Thu 26-Jun-14 20:24:56

When I was 25 i was in a dead end job and in a relationship which was not good for my self-esteem.

However, it was when I was 25 that I applied to the post-grad course from which i have made my career.

I am now 38, in a career job and married with two children.

It may have been a low point in my life but it was also the turning point.

melissa83 Thu 26-Jun-14 20:25:55

At 25 I had been married 5 years, had a 2 year old, nearly graduated and working at same time. Lots of partying and mad nights with my friends around that time so lots of good memories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now