Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Things I hate #367: Do It Your Fecking Self

(18 Posts)
Bogeyface Thu 26-Jun-14 18:04:19

DIY. I hate it.

I have just spent several hours with a virgin door, chiseling, drilling, trying to get the hang right without another pair of hands. I am fucking knackered.

It looks lovely, but on reflection I think that a bare door way didnt look that bad.

And I am low carbing so I cant even have a glass of wine as a reward!

Bogeyface Thu 26-Jun-14 18:05:00

Virgin as in never been hung before so it didnt already have the hinges attached etc.

MerryInthechelseahotel Thu 26-Jun-14 18:08:23

Walk to the mirror, look in and say the following three times "I am bloody amazing!" then go and pour yourself a G and slimline T cos its very low carb

lucysmam Thu 26-Jun-14 18:10:12

I am impressed! I need to make a very small, shoe rack type, shelf to slide into the airing cupboard for extra storage...I daren't get the hammer & nails out in case I injure myself confused blush

Bogeyface Thu 26-Jun-14 18:11:11

I would kill anyone for a G&T right now, I have the T but no G!

I thought you were going to tell me to say "Handyman, Handyman, Handyman" and Tommy Walsh would appear behind me and sort out my house!

Actually I might try that, you know, on the offchance! grin

Smilesandpiles Thu 26-Jun-14 18:11:14

Door hanging is a pain when on your own though.

I've got to take one of mine off and sand it down a little as it's catching on the floor...I keep putting it off.

JudysPriest Thu 26-Jun-14 18:12:44

My mate who was a joiner used to say he'd get the measure of a new lad by how well they hung a virgin door solo. Sounds like you've done well.

Bogeyface Thu 26-Jun-14 18:13:26

Lucy be brave!

Look up "how to..." vids on Youtube, some are better than others, and take it slowly. Dont try and rush it, thats where I have made mistakes in the past.

I ended up plastering my kitchen a few years ago, the whole of it! I was very proud and it was all done with the help of youtube!

Spottybra Thu 26-Jun-14 18:17:08

Well done, be very proud of yourself. Another first time DIYer here, life is for learning.

MerryInthechelseahotel Thu 26-Jun-14 18:38:26

Ooh bogey he's a bit of alright! I just googled him and he's three years older which is perfect so hands off!

Bogeyface Thu 26-Jun-14 19:59:51

Hey, you can have him as long as you send him round to sort out my knackered house grin

Thanks for the confidence boosts, makes my aching muscles feel a bit better!

lucysmam Thu 26-Jun-14 20:22:06

Thanks Bogey...I'm just a bit nervous about doing it myself grin (I did ask FIL but he's been busy so hasn't got round to it). I'll have a look on youtube, use it for lots of stuff - never diy though but it would be handy to be able to do it for myself (without hurting myself).

MerryInthechelseahotel Thu 26-Jun-14 20:30:29

Well ok, as its you but I would want him mainly to work on my knackered house and garden, do you think he does gardens too?

Bogeyface Fri 27-Jun-14 00:52:49

merry not sure if you are taking the piss now...... Tommy Walsh was on Ground Force with Alan Tichmarsh (sp?)!

MerryInthechelseahotel Fri 27-Jun-14 10:16:11

Ha ha no I'm not! I just haven't heard of him. Anyway he is sounding more and more ideal as I hear more about him: my age, good with dIY and garden what more could an old woman a girl want?

Germgirl Fri 27-Jun-14 10:22:44

Smiles. Get some coarse sandpaper & put it under the door. Open & close the door a good few times. If you only need to remove a bit because it's catching on a new carpet or something, that's the way to do it without removing the door.

Smilesandpiles Fri 27-Jun-14 10:31:32

Oh for god's sake, why didn't I think of that. That's what I did when the dresser door kept sticking.

Thanks Germgirl

Germgirl Fri 27-Jun-14 21:29:39

My dad knows Tommy Walsh. He once drank a litre bottle of Baileys & then drove his land rover into a ditch. Tommy Walsh, not my dad. My dad hasn't got a land rover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now