Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you could go back in time would you choose a different name for your children, or are you happy with your choice(s)?

(96 Posts)
shakethetree Thu 26-Jun-14 14:38:51

I still love my sons name, but I wish I'd called dd something else.

Holfin Thu 26-Jun-14 14:48:26

I am happy with both the first names but wish I had chosen different middle names. I would have liked Emily for DD's middle name.

LifeHuh Thu 26-Jun-14 14:50:40

I'm very happy still with both first names . I do wish now we'd given DS a middle name with some family associations, like we did with DD .

shakethetree Thu 26-Jun-14 15:02:51

I wish I'd called dd Delilah - such a beautiful name.

MrsBearWasTired Thu 26-Jun-14 16:00:14

I don't like dc2's middle name. And I really didn't want their first name either, although I do think its a lovely name, just not with our other dc's names.

A combination of lots of drugs during/post birth (emcs) and hormonal guilt after having all my own choices for our other dc made me go along with dps choices.

Dp would be very upset if he knew and dc2 is far too old to change it. I really thought it would grow on me, but it hasn't sad

QueenFuri Thu 26-Jun-14 16:06:09

I would change DS2's full name and include my dad's name my DP wouldn't let me as its a name people usually take the piss out of. I'd change his first name to Jacob again which DP didn't like.

I picked DS1's name including middle names and I still love it.

fussychica Thu 26-Jun-14 16:10:45

Totally happy with his names 21 years later but then I chose very traditional names which don't really date.

TheFirstOfHerName Thu 26-Jun-14 16:12:00

All four of them are happy with their names, as are we. We went for the same format each time:

1. First name: classic, never out of fashion, the obvious spelling and pronunciation, equally fitting when they are four or dirty.

2. Middle name one: classic, traditional, a family name from one side of the family.

3. Middle name two: classic, traditional, a family name from the other side of the family.

TheFirstOfHerName Thu 26-Jun-14 16:13:05

? dirty ?

"four or forty"

Their names work fine, regardless of state of cleanliness.

ElizabethLemon Thu 26-Jun-14 16:15:15

I think I'd change my dc's middle name. It's a lovely name but it's also the name of someone that I don't particularly like anymore! Although it is the name of someone that I do like so maybe I'll just pretend that dc is named after them instead.

shakethetree Thu 26-Jun-14 16:16:33

grin I'm laughing out loud here - auto corrects are totes hilar aren't they.

HecatePropylaea Thu 26-Jun-14 16:16:44

Probably. I think I would have chosen more traditional names (kiyuyu traditional) I would also have given my youngest son my grandfather's name as a middle name, as he was born on his birthday and when grandad died a few years ago, I really began to wish I'd thought of it.

shakethetree Thu 26-Jun-14 16:18:14

Funnily enough - I gave dd a very traditional name, but I now wish I'd been a bit more adventurous.

ILoveCoreyHaim Thu 26-Jun-14 16:19:27

DD1 I bitterly regret he name I gave het, she hates it and has spent 12 year being called various names and correcting people on the spelling. I gave her an Irish name as my ancestor's were Irish.

Honestly she hates her name.

ILoveCoreyHaim Thu 26-Jun-14 16:22:15

DD2 has an unusal unpopular name I had picked for DDS but her dad didn't like it and liked the Iris name. Everyone loves DD2 name including DD1.

DD2 and 3 you pronounce their name the way it is written luckily

ILoveCoreyHaim Thu 26-Jun-14 16:22:48

Ugh autocorrect

I'd add my maiden name as a second middle name (I've kept it as my middle name). I fell for practicality and convention of one middle name over sentimentality and I regret it.

Katy1368 Thu 26-Jun-14 16:34:08

I still like DD's name as such but wish I had called her by a different first name and middle name now! so wanted to call her either Jemima or Elfie but DP would have neither as they were "middle class and poncy" according to him - I mean we are middle class FFS. Her middle name loads of z list stars came out and called their kids it in the last few years so I wish even more that I'd not used it. Still worse things happen I guess!

I'd keep dd1's the same. I'd pester harder for the name I adored for dd2 which ended up as a middle name and which I will hold against dh for the rest of my days! I'd also add my maiden name to both.

weatherall Thu 26-Jun-14 16:37:53

I wish I'd been a bit more adventurous.

Someone said it was nice that they were ordinary names- thinking that was a compliment.

TortoiseUpATreeAgain Thu 26-Jun-14 16:41:51

Overall I'm happy. I sort of wish that we'd hung onto DD1's middle name to use as a first name for DD2, but I like DD2's eventual name anyway (it just took months of angst to arrive at it). And if we had done that then sod's law says that DD2 would have been a DS2 instead...

I love my DD's name and it's a traditional family name.
I'm glad I changed it from her middle name to her 1st name though.
I like the 'nomrla' shortened version of it too.
But she has chosen a totally different version of it to call herself and I hate it. I still call her by her 'proper' name! The one we've all used for 16 years. Bloody teenagers!

TheHouseatWhoCorner Thu 26-Jun-14 16:46:20

I still love DD's name. She's six.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Thu 26-Jun-14 16:47:18

One of dtwins dislikes his name. Dd dislikes hers (and it now sadly has tragic connotations). Both are considering changing them. I love them.

No idea what nomrla is but it should be NORMAL!
DOH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now