Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I have to ring my mum and tell her that her brother has died.

(29 Posts)
STOPwiththehahaheheloling Thu 26-Jun-14 13:51:49

And she'll have to tell my gran and auntie. They left for a trip abroad this morning and shortly after her brother was found dead. They havent turned their phones on yet so dont know. They'll have to turn and come back again. That's not important, just upset, obviously. Sorry, rambling now. Dont know what i'm posting for really.

sad

Oh Stop, I'm really sorry, you must be so shocked. Miserable job having to tell your Mum. Look after yourself.

foolishpeach Thu 26-Jun-14 13:59:11

That's a horrible job. I hope you and she are ok. flowers

headlesslambrini Thu 26-Jun-14 13:59:43

how horrible. Do you know who they are travelling with or which insurance company they have, just thinking if you can get in touch to arrange flights back it might take a bit of pressure off.

spiderlight Thu 26-Jun-14 14:00:09

Oh no - so sorry. That will be awful for you all sad

Olbas Thu 26-Jun-14 14:01:52

I'm sorry about your Uncle, it is a shock. I hope you can get hold of your mum soon.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Thu 26-Jun-14 14:02:28

I'm ok, just a bit shocked. I have no idea who they are travelling with, its a group trip and other family have been able to contact another traveller and asked them to get mum to ring home.

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jun-14 14:02:44

Oh no, I'm so sorry.

JoandMax Thu 26-Jun-14 14:06:26

Oh I'm so sorry, that's a very sad situation.

I had to tell my mum when her sister died unexpectedly, it was very very hard but she said it was easier me telling her than someone she didn't know

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Thu 26-Jun-14 14:10:17

Phones still off. Is that good that they'll at least have a few hours of a trip before being devastated?

Mrsrochesterscat Thu 26-Jun-14 14:19:15

Oh stop! I am so sorry both for your loss and with needing to break the news over the phone thanks

Are you worried about how to tell them? I really struggled with this and a police officer friend was great with advice. I couldn't make the words come out of my mouth so I wrote it down and read it out like a script. I hope that helps you a little too.

So sorry stop. What a horrible situation flowers

Mrsrochesterscat Thu 26-Jun-14 14:23:18

Sorry - giving you the script would help! He said to say this:

"I am really sorry, I have some bad news" (this is to prepare them so it's not such a shock) "but xxx passed away this morning" then wait for their questions.

Be clear and use straight forward language if you can thanks

hellymelly Thu 26-Jun-14 14:25:27

I'm so sorry. I had to call my Dad's oldest friends to let them know he had died, and his brother, it was really really hard, so I sympathise very much. I imagine it will be particularly hard for your Grandmother, so at least they are all together and will be a comfort to each other as they travel back.
flowers.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Thu 26-Jun-14 14:26:52

Thank you all BTW for flowers and support. I cant get through so am trying to distract myself. I just hope i can get in touch soon. They'll need to arrange flights and get back to airport.

Thanks for script, mrsR

Deep breaths.

hatsybatsy Thu 26-Jun-14 14:27:16

So sorry to hear your news. Definitely make sure she is sitting down/with someone too.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Thu 26-Jun-14 14:27:32

And sorry for those of you who have been through this aswell.

KillerOfThreads Thu 26-Jun-14 14:28:04

So sorry for your family's loss. I second the idea of writing something down as a prompt. I had to call my dad when his mum died. I was 16 and it ended up a garbled mess that I still regret to this day. It's a horrible thing to gave to do thanks

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 26-Jun-14 14:34:29

So sorry about your uncle. I had to tell my mother when her brother died so I know how hard it can be. My sympathies to you and your mother and all your family. thanks

So sorry that you're having to do this. thanks hope you and your family are ok

Xcountry Thu 26-Jun-14 14:46:54

Its awful, I didn't want to read and run so just to say my thoughts are with you and your family today thanks

slithytove Thu 26-Jun-14 14:58:36

I'm sorry thanks

I had to tell my parents when my daughter died so I can appreciate how hard it is, and that you just don't know what to say.

I hope it is gentle on all of you

123rd Thu 26-Jun-14 14:59:30

Oh. Sorry you have to do that.

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle and the unenviable task you have ahead of you. My thoughts are with you, your mum and the rest of your family and I hope you get to make the call soon and it goes as well as possible.

The only advice I have is to make sure the phone signal is good. I had a family members death communicated to me via mobile but I couldn't really hear, it was pretty distressing for everyone involved. I just heard something along the lines of "... very sad news.... rushed to... this morning and... tried everything... peacefully... by his side"

PinkSquash Thu 26-Jun-14 15:07:10

I hope you're able to get through soon. It must be awful. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now