Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Engagement ring - is it worth paying more for platinum?

(58 Posts)
Showmethesunshine Thu 26-Jun-14 11:43:46

Is it worth paying more for platinum as opposed to white gold? I know white gold loses its colour but understand this can be corrected easily and cheaply.
I know nothing about jewellery so opinions appreciated!

immortalwife Thu 26-Jun-14 11:45:41

Just get your white gold and have it rhodium plated when it loses lustre. Its dead cheap AFAIK. Mines white gold cos IMO you can't tell the difference :-)

JassyRadlett Thu 26-Jun-14 11:45:43

I went with platinum because I didn't want the white gold rubbing off, and I liked the look of platinum better.

Have never regretted it.

splendide Thu 26-Jun-14 11:45:53

I would say not probably. I have a platinum ring and it is heavier and a bit shinier but don't know of it makes a huge difference.

Showmethesunshine Thu 26-Jun-14 11:46:47

I'm looking at one with tiny diamonds set in the band if that makes any difference

whereisthewitch Thu 26-Jun-14 11:48:20

I have platinum. ...I chose it for its durability, my ring is 7 years old and there are no bends in it the way gold goes.
I put the metal above the stone though. ..you can get a large diamond in white gold for the price of a smaller diamond in platinum. Just remember though you will need a platinum wedding and possibly eternity ring which will all add up!

Lottiedoubtie Thu 26-Jun-14 11:49:05

I chose platinum.

Mainly because I couldn't face a lifetime of faffing, 'has the rhodium worn off enough to warrent recoating yet?' 'Oh shit, I'm busy for the next few weeks I'll have to just walk around with the ring annoying me because it looks shit' etc...etc..

Basically I'm lazy and I didn't want the extra job of remembering to have it recoated. But then I could afford platinum without going into debt, so I guess it depends, it's a bit of a luxury of choice thing!

lynniep Thu 26-Jun-14 11:50:55

I went with white gold. Its still white gold as far as I can tell over a decade later. (I've never taken it off my finger)

Chopstheduck Thu 26-Jun-14 11:50:59

I have platinum. It isn't coated like white gold is, so it keeps it's colour and shine. It is heavier, stronger and I def prefer it. I take it in for a clean up every so often and it comes up with a perfect mirror finish. I have diamonds in the band too - it's also worth considering that platinum is stronger and will hold on to the stones better.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 26-Jun-14 11:52:44

Firstly, congratulations on your engagement! flowers

I would personally, just go for the "best" one you can afford - and the one you love the most. I don't have an engagement ring, as we couldn't afford one at the time (got engaged just before DS1 was born), but have often looked at them and do plan to get one at some point - although not sure that it could still be classed as an engagement ring, having been married now for 16 years hmm.

I would go for platinum if I could comfortably afford it, but not worry about settling for something less if need be. Also, I am totally the kind of person who would just end up with a silver band with stones because I saw it and loved it grin.

splendide Thu 26-Jun-14 11:53:19

I should say that like pps, I assumed I would never get round to recoating a white gold one so that was a factor for me.

I did't get a diamond though, I got a sapphire with a natural astirism. ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterism_(gemology) ) People often mistake it for a silver ring with a moonstone in it which is OK by me, it does look a bit like that but it'll last forever.

Showmethesunshine Thu 26-Jun-14 11:54:05

Thanks. How much more would platinum cost Vs the same ring in whit gold?

Boleh Thu 26-Jun-14 11:56:35

You don't have to get your white gold plated!

I'm going for natural white gold, it's a lovely soft, warm, silvery colour! I was originally intending to have plated white gold but have been persuaded by the designer to leave it natural.

And of course, congratulations flowers

Petrasmumma Thu 26-Jun-14 11:58:33

Platinum here too. No regrets.

I wanted an easy life with no re-coating charges and I also thought it was sensible long-term choice as I have nickel (& sometimes silver) - sensitive skin. Platinum is the least allergenic of any metal so less danger of developing (more) irritation as you get older.

My DH chose palladium band and is similarly happy.

thecuntureshow Thu 26-Jun-14 12:00:44

I went for white gold but I did get a decent sized diamond instead. Benefit of gold over platinum is that if you mark the latter, it's harder to get a scratch mark out of etc. Easy to buff gold.

I'd go for diamond over platinum smile

squoosh Thu 26-Jun-14 12:16:15

Well I don't like platinum.

It goes from shiny to dull and unattractive.

DidoTheDodo Thu 26-Jun-14 12:21:53

My wedding ring is silver. When it gets grubby I can polish it up myself and it comes up like new. I was warned against it, but mostly by jewellers.(vested interest in the cost?) It is more than fine.

Chopstheduck Thu 26-Jun-14 12:25:33

squoosh - fairy liquid does wonders with it!

Here's a pic of mine. The only downside I have had is that platinum is really expensive to get resized, and because of the weight, it does tend to rotate very easily when over big. I actually have to wear my engagement ring on the right hand now, for fear of losing it.

TweeAintMee Thu 26-Jun-14 12:27:17

Have skin that reacts to the nickel that is mixed with gold so for me platinum only option.

LegoClone Thu 26-Jun-14 12:29:28

I had a white gold engagement ring. I ended up getting it re-rhodium-plated after 2 years, but it had needed it way before then. It's since be re-plated again and now sits in a box. On my finger is a virtually identical platinum ring!

The natural colour of white gold is nice but if you're buying from the high street it will most likely be rhodium-plated and it just doesn't last on rings (never had an issue with any other white gold jewellery). I'd either go with platinum or get a white gold ring made up without the plating (so long as you like the colour).

8misskitty8 Thu 26-Jun-14 12:35:58

White gold can vary depending on were you buy it. Some will be really cheaply made and would lose colour etc. same with platinum, some rings will get marked easily and require rebuffing. I would research any jewellers you want to go and look at.

My engagement ring is rose gold with diamonds and amethysts and i've had it for 14 years. It still looks lovely, i've had it cleaned a few times.

My wedding band is 12 years old and also rose gold but it has a thin white gold strip round both edges and the inside of the rind (Part that actually touches your finger) is also white gold. Again it's been cleaned a few times but the white gold has never need replated or anything.

miraim Thu 26-Jun-14 12:41:08

Is it possible to get a white gold ring re-coated in yellow gold?

theborrower Thu 26-Jun-14 12:41:47

I'd say yes, it is worth it, if you can afford it. It's durable, doesn't need replated or whatever like white gold which sounds like a faff and ongoing expense to me. The way I saw it was that you wear your wedding ring every day for the rest of your life, so get the best you can afford. Wedding costs are easily cut in lots of other ways, and a wedding is just one day.

betold Thu 26-Jun-14 12:44:28

I agree with Misskitty - go to a jeweler who makes rings rather than a high street shop. You'll get exactly what you want that way, and matching your wedding ring will be easy.

My white gold wedding ring has diamonds set in it. Not in a channel as they can come out too easily. Not coated with anything and it looks just the same now as it did 6 years ago.

Platinum is worth it if you need something stronger. DH got white gold to match mine and I think it might have been worth getting platinum as it has been bashed about a lot and has some dents and scratches. We could get it polished up though...

I think that the cost of my ring in platinum would have been double white gold - and I just couldn't justify it.

betold Thu 26-Jun-14 12:46:52

Also, since having DC and spending lots of time washing my hands I have a new much thinner/lighter "day to day" wedding ring and only wear my official one when I go out.

If I'd bought platinum I really couldn't justify getting another new wedding ring when I fancy one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now