Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How many word has your 18 month old got?

(24 Posts)
MrsWinnibago Thu 26-Jun-14 11:38:05

Asking for a mate. She won't use MN having been upset on here once (I've tried to explain that we ALL get upset on here now and then) but she won't have it so she's asked me to ask you all how much your 18 month olds speak and what words they say.

Her DD isn't talking at all but she's very happy and interacts well with others...stacks bricks and puts things in the correct holes...she can cruise about but not walking. She's just about 18 months now and friend is concerned as her other DD is Austistic...but this child shows no social or sensory issues whatsoever...eats and sleeps well.

MrsWinnibago Thu 26-Jun-14 11:44:15

Bumpety.

My 20mo says no intelligible words. I can understand what he wants but he just gabbles at people, doesn't actually use real words.
I'm worried but people have told me it's normal and he'll be fine. I wouldn't worry too much.

Wrt the walking, a friend of mines DD was 22mo and not walking, she went to the paediatrician about her not walking. The minute she sat down in the paed office, her DD just got up and toddled off! grin

MrsWinnibago Thu 26-Jun-14 11:58:38

Friend's DD not really babbling either...she yells or whatever when she's annoyed but it's a shout rather than a babble. None of those little fake "conversations" some toddlers have...

ikeaismylocal Thu 26-Jun-14 12:17:43

My 18 month old says quite alot, he isn't very good at puzzles/shape sorters.

I am friends with quite a few other mums with babies the same age as my ds, the range of speach seems huge, some 18 month olds have proper informative chats with you and some say only the occasional word or nothing at all.

MrsWinnibago Thu 26-Jun-14 12:20:15

The range IS huge isn't it...as you say Ikea some of them can converse, others can do puzzles, yet more can run about like big kids...I think she's stressing because the DD isn't walking OR talking....she's sociable though...it's the worry of siblings being more likely to have Autism I think.

Morrigu Thu 26-Jun-14 12:22:05

18 months is still so very young.

Dd had a lot then if I'm honest as she talks in sentences now at 20months however I have an older ds and he never really babbled and didn't start talking until he was two. I was a bit worried myself but the speech therapist wouldn't see him until he was three which really shows how late the age range is that they believe they should be talking by. Once he started talking he never shut up. At 6yo he is incessant. I was told comprehension comes before expressive so they will understand more than they can put into words (for instance following simple instructions)

Oh and he didn't walk until he was nearly two either. Some babies just like to take their time doing things smile

MrsWinnibago Thu 26-Jun-14 12:24:02

Thanks...I've said that the DD is very good with eye contact, very friendly and always wants to be with my DC who are older...that does not seem very Autistic behaviour to me. She looks at you when you speak to her and likes a laugh and a joke.

KnackeredMuchly Thu 26-Jun-14 12:26:37

At our 12 month check the health visitor said if there are no single discernible words by 18 months get a referral to speech and language as they are starting to want to do therapy slightly earlier - although not talking before 2 is still nothing to worry about.

ikeaismylocal Thu 26-Jun-14 12:29:56

I can understand her worry, does she have any developmental checks coming up?

Ds had his 18 month check up ( we are not in the UK) last week, the hv told me the average 18 month old can say 8--10 individual words, my friends ds couldn't say that amount and there attitude was just wait and see, my friend's ds is now 20 months old and saying lots of words and even putting 2 words together.

MrsWinnibago Thu 26-Jun-14 12:30:41

I suppose the 18 month check must be due...I'll tell her to check on that.

Kikaninchen Thu 26-Jun-14 12:32:29

I would ask for a hearing check in the first instance, if she is worried.

There is such a massive variation, my DD and friends' DD were born on the same day, and at 18 months her child had no words but had been running about the place for months, mine was talking in sentences but was still to take her first step.

KnackeredMuchly Thu 26-Jun-14 12:33:35

We go straight from 12 month to the two year check so I would havr to contact a HV myself, through a weigh in clinic normally.

When ds2 was six weeks old, I was in hospital with him, and one of the things I did to pass the time was to list the words that 22 month old ds1 said, and even including the ones that were gobbledegook to all except his loving parents (cor-cuck-cuck = helicopter, anyone?? confused), he only had 35 words.

He turns 21 this year, and has just finished his second year of a Law degree. By 6 years old, he was talking so much (mainly about trains) that he could talk adults into a glazed-over state. I used to let him talk to cold callers who wanted to sell us double glazing - he used to see them off in short order.

Children develop at different speeds, and developing speech later doesn't mean that there will be later problems. I know it is only one story, but ds1 shows that you can develop speech late, and do fine in later life!

Paddingtonthebear Thu 26-Jun-14 12:42:03

20 months, probably 100+ words now, and three word sentences, can count (repetition only!) to 11 and constantly asks what's this, what's that. She's very chatty, had words by 12 months. The range of normal is huge apparently. Some people say early walkers are late talkers but she walked early at 10 months so I don't think there's any rule for these things. At 18 months old she probably had 60 words and some two sentence words, her cousin has no words at 18 months except dog and didn't walk until 14 months. I don't think there's any worry with speech or walking until after age 2, from what friends have been told anyway

ShoeWhore Thu 26-Jun-14 12:45:26

I think the lack of babbling is a bit of a concern and I agree that she should ask for a hearing test. She sounds similar to my youngest who has hearing issues. In hindsight I really wish I had listened to my gut instincts and pressed for referral much sooner.

I was told they are looking for about 6-10 words at 18 months.

HauntedNoddyCar Thu 26-Jun-14 12:49:02

Dd had hundreds (literally) used in complex sentences. Ds had none.
Both fine.

CarpetBagger Thu 26-Jun-14 13:27:26

i think without a shadow of a doubt she should be getting child to docs for assessment and also speech clinics, usually drop in local children center. With autism already in the family, its not a risk, leaving it longer than I would be taking, if you catch Autism early, you can do more about it.

Early intervention is crucial where autism is concerned. It will not harm her to get her child checked out.

Our NCT group is the same in terms of progress, some are saying a few animal noises others speak very clearly and very well.All our walking.

CarpetBagger Thu 26-Jun-14 13:29:09

I know people mean well, by saying it will be fine, and it probably will, but 18 is the PEAK of issues if there are any, and its really worth letting a proffesional look at the child, rather than taking on MN advice.

MrsWinnibago Thu 26-Jun-14 13:34:13

Thanks all carpet what do you mean the peak?

Can she understand simple sentences or instructions? My DS is the same age and says a handful of words, but understands things well (eg go and get your shoes). He also babbles with the right intonation (eg where is it? in a high pitched way, but no actual words).

I am not a professional, but I wouldn't have thought your friend needed to worry yet. They all seem to learn different things at different rates and most get there in the end.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 26-Jun-14 13:53:10

Family history so definitely worth checking. I wouldn't play down her fears too much, she's already dealing with the reality of one child.

If DC1 is autistic - are they talking much? Second children are often more verbal (I think) because of time spent with an older child. If the older child is a quiet sort, or reacts badly to loud noise then that may be inhibiting.
DC2 are also often late walkers because DC1 does all the fetching and carrying (and interpreting). The opposite is also true because they want to chase after DC1 - no rules.

My DD2 is 18 months - 6-10 words is about right I think but also lots of singing and babbling. She likes the sound of her own voice...

Andcake Thu 26-Jun-14 13:57:13

At about 18 months about 10 words now at 22 months a few hundred and new ones every day! Someone (maybe on MN ) said at 2 year check they should have about 25 words minimum.
I would speak to HV.

thepurplepenguin Thu 26-Jun-14 14:41:11

My DD had about 50 words at that age and DS had none. DS was just on the brink of early intervention when he suddenly started talking (maybe 20 months?) and hasn't stopped since. So yes they are all different and there is a continuum of development but I would still get it checked out for peace of mind and in case intervention was needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now