Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

OK -so who has water on their table at tea and who has evil sugary drinks?

(359 Posts)
kim147 Thu 26-Jun-14 09:28:26

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28022948

It's been suggested parents put water on the table instead of pop which should be a treat.

So do your children drink water? DS loves it - so aren't we good grin But then there's that little thing about too much time on the XBox. Oh well.

HavanaSlife Thu 26-Jun-14 09:31:12

Little ones have water, the older ones have squash with meals

Squash

Neither great nor awful - we drink 10 bottles a week here

NigellasDealer Thu 26-Jun-14 09:33:20

10 bottles of squash a week? blmey how many kids have you got?
it makes me laugh when people get that 'no added sugar' poison having swallowed the line that it is 'healthy'
Water with the occasional galllon of ribena.

Water. Occasionally real fruit juice. No squash or fizzy drinks unless at a party or something.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 26-Jun-14 09:34:26

Water. The floor drinks it too

leguminous Thu 26-Jun-14 09:35:50

Mostly water, and squash maybe once a day - the rule is water at bedtime but otherwise she can choose what she drinks, and she chooses water more than anything else.

She hardly ever sees fizz (so it is obviously therefore very exciting. I brought home a bottle of Fanta yesterday and you'd have thought it was Christmas). I have worn down a good set of teeth thanks to Diet Coke, I don't want her to drink the shite regularly.

ouryve Thu 26-Jun-14 09:36:33

DS2 has water with meals.

DS1 has squash. With those evil sweeteners in.

I rarely drink with my meal. I drink water or herbal tea while I cook and do the same afterwards.

Standinginline Thu 26-Jun-14 09:36:34

Luckily my son will only drink water or milk. But then he's a very fussy water so actually would rather have him chill out a bit kids with food and drink even if it does mean he gets a liking for squash.

aftereight Thu 26-Jun-14 09:38:07

Squash, or occasionally milk.
Water at school and by the beds at night.
DCs just wouldn't drink enough if there was only water available.

nicename Thu 26-Jun-14 09:38:09

Water and wine. Haven't worked out how to convert one to the other yet.

Occasionally the fizzy water with fruit juice type things but never pepsi/cola.

MrsBearWasTired Thu 26-Jun-14 09:38:23

Water. So much easier to clear up when some gets spilt.

We do have regular high juice squash, but that's more of a treat/outside drink/when school friends come for tea as most of them "don't like water".

We eat together, water and wine (for the adults).

vvviola Thu 26-Jun-14 09:38:59

Water mostly here. Occasionally juice - watered down.

DD1 doesn't like fizzy drinks - she's tried a few times. She was a nightmare to get to drink water until we moved here (NZ), but it's such a thing here to have your own water bottle and drink from it all the time that she wanted to be just like her friends (started from pre-school, and 2yo DD2 is the same at crèche)

I just wish it rubbed off on me. I hate drinking plain water and sneakily put a bit of lime cordial in mine.

moonbells Thu 26-Jun-14 09:39:29

Water or milk is the choice here. DS has hypoplastic enamel on his teeth (it didn't form properly) so we have to minimise sugar consumption. He's fine with this, and looks like a beanpole though I suspect that's more to do with having ants in his pants and being on the go all the time!

Eastpoint Thu 26-Jun-14 09:39:36

DCs only drink water at meals apart from breakfast when dd1 drinks milky tea (no sugar), DS drinks orange juice & dd2 drinks milk. If we go out, probably once a month, they can have whatever they like. Dd1 doesn't like any fizzy drinks, I assume this is why she isn't much of a party girl (she's 16).

nicename Thu 26-Jun-14 09:39:59

DS has gone off milk so has plain yoghurt with/as desert.

AllDirections Thu 26-Jun-14 09:40:54

Water here. I don't ban squash and DD2 sometimes drinks it at other times but we've just always had water with our meals so it's just habit. Visiting children are often hmm so I then ask if they'd rather have squash.

PPaka Thu 26-Jun-14 09:41:31

Ds still asks for milk
He drinks water at school, but moans at home
No squash though, just wouldn't occur to be to buy it for children, same with fizzy drinks
Fruit juice watered down when he was younger, sometimes I water it down now if he's drinking a lot. One small glass isn't going to do that much harm

Pinkelephanty Thu 26-Jun-14 09:41:33

Squash on the table at meal times and water outside of meal times. No fizzy drinks.

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Thu 26-Jun-14 09:42:07

Squash usually with dinner but they have water a lot during the day and with lunch. I let them have fruit juice at breakfast but it's too gloppy and sugary to drink all the time. Not to mention expensive.

TulipOHare Thu 26-Jun-14 09:43:12

Water - I've always preferred it even as a child.

Except at Christmas, when we go mad and have a bottle of Shloer or Appletise grin

Rock'n'roll household, us.

coffeeinbed Thu 26-Jun-14 09:43:33

always water here, I can't stand the taste of sugary drinks, DS is happy with water as well.

irregularegular Thu 26-Jun-14 09:43:36

Fruit juice with breakfast, milk with sandwich lunches, water with dinner. Water/milk between meals. Sugary drinks only when out - and even then I limit to one per day (eg on holiday when eating out a lot)

Personally I hate drinking sweet drinks with meals (apart from my obligatory breakfast OJ). I only ever drink water/milk/wine/beer with meals myself so it has never occurred to me to serve sweet drinks. We don't even have them in the house normally - only if having a party.

Lesshastemorespeed Thu 26-Jun-14 09:45:00

Water here. Unless we have done well on the bottle tombola.

Used to let them have coke / lemonade when we were eating out but have stopped that now. <mean mum>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now