Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do you go on holiday to make friends?

(42 Posts)
WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 26-Jun-14 09:21:57

Just that really. I'm quite curious.

I've been reading far too much Trip Advisor this week to find places to Visit, Eat etc. on holiday.

I am really surprised at the number of write ups for resorts that are too German for example, so forget it if you want friendly banter or to make friends. Or ending with a big hello to all the friends we made in reception etc..

I haven't been to a Resort based holiday for a few years now but I do recall a lot of people seem to want to strike up a friendship around the loungers or at the swim up bar or wherever. And then watching Shirley Valentine with Jeanette and Dougie made me think of it the other night.

Am I anti-social? I like to put my book in my hand, my headphones on and obliterate everything now that DS is old enough to swim without too much supervision. I also like having conversations with my DH without people earwigging. blush

I understand if you are on a tour in a small group it might be different. But do people go away hoping to make new friends?

WilliamShatner Thu 26-Jun-14 09:29:59

No way.

I enjoy talking to local people and I am polite and courteous to everyone I meet.

However, anything more than good morning/evening/lovely weather would not interest me.

LGJ Thu 26-Jun-14 09:36:19

I go on holiday to sleep, eat, and read as many books as possible.

mumblechum1 Thu 26-Jun-14 09:38:30

Nope. We always choose a villa/house specifically based on Google Earth to make sure there are no other people within half a mile radius :-D

If in hotels, we just do our own thing anonymously. We are there to be together, that's the point.

Mrsjayy Thu 26-Jun-14 09:40:04

I dont go to make friends I go to holiday, I love all those trip advisor reviews we had a thread last year it was v funny the spannish resorts to spannish there was one about the gay quarter of benedorm being too gay grin

God no.

ElleMcFearsome Thu 26-Jun-14 09:44:15

Exactly what LGJ said. But I also see friends on FB who seem to have made friends on holiday so maybe it is a 'thing' that some people do.

Skivvywoman Thu 26-Jun-14 09:45:27

My ideal holiday is sunbathe,dip in pool,read and sleep now kids are old enough but DH talks to everyone!
And we always end up with some bam pot!

MissisBee Thu 26-Jun-14 09:46:47

No. We try and avoid talking to people as much as we can. We are both quite shy and work in jobs dealing with the public so having quiet time to ourselves is one of the most important things for us on holiday

MrsJohnDeere Thu 26-Jun-14 09:47:29

I've never made a friend on holiday. We've usually made a point of renting houses in the middle of nowhere so that we don't need to interact with other people! I go on holiday to see somewhere new, eat nice food, and read lots of books.

Don't go to make friends but the kids always seem to. Sometimes the parents are friendly and we will end up spending time with them. Still talk to people on f/b we met over two and three years ago. It depends what sort of holiday you choose I guess.

ManicMinor Thu 26-Jun-14 09:53:20

I like meeting people on holiday, and the DC's enjoy having other children around to play with too. I wouldn't say it's making friends, though - maybe inviting over for drinks while all the kids play or something, or a shared barbeque. Still plenty of time for family stuff and books. I've never kept in touch after a holiday mind.

MummyPig24 Thu 26-Jun-14 10:02:21

We don't go on holiday to make friends. Both dh and I are a bit shy and wouldn't feel confident enough to strike up conversation with strangers. We go on holiday to spend time as a family. If we did make friends it would be an added bonus I guess.

Latara Thu 26-Jun-14 10:04:53

No, I don't go on holiday to make friends; I go to spend time with the person I'm with and to swim in the sea etc.

If I was actually going travelling and on my own it might be different - it would be useful to make some friends.

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 26-Jun-14 10:05:37

Yes Manic that would be another curiosity - do people keep in touch and make and effort to see their new friends or is it just a brief in the moment friendship?

I am just worried that I am a bit of an anti-social bint! I barely speak to my husband in the mornings, let alone other holidaymakers blush I'm polite when approached though.

Skivvywoman my husband can be like that too, he's Northern and very outgoing and chatty.

We are in a Villa in the middle of nowhere this year, mainly so I can get my wobbly bits out with gay abandon!

We do go on holiday with another family for short breaks, as we just don't see them enough with work and family constraints, but I look forward to time away from everything.

So maybe I'm not toooo miserable.....

wigglesrock Thu 26-Jun-14 10:12:55

No, we go to resorts, all inclusives etc but not to meet new people. I'm polite, will have a bit of a chat if I'm in the pool with the kids but that's my limit.

mumofthemonsters808 Thu 26-Jun-14 10:13:53

Not all, I go on holiday to spend time with my family. It is a bonus if we meet some nice people to have a chat to. DD enjoys making friends she describes the holiday as double fun if she meets someone.

Ludways Thu 26-Jun-14 10:20:06

If a review says too many Germans or too many Spanish etc. that's where we go, I love it. I'm friendly and I'm happy to have a chat and people I smile at but I don't want friends, lol

Tbf, I'm like that at home too, lol

Preciousbane Thu 26-Jun-14 10:21:29

I have chatted to people but people always start talking to me.

DH and I when engaged did take a couple of pensioners around with us on a Day trip in our hire car in Spain. They were from Glasgow and an absolute hoot.

When we were on honeymoon DH did a lot of windsurfing so I did go on a Hotel bar pimms pub crawl with some women who were on the same safari tour as us.

A retired swimming instructor taught DS to swim in the hotel pool on one holiday. DS played with her GS and she invited us to stay with her in Florida but I lost her email address!

I certainly don't go to meet people but am quite sociable.

exWifebeginsat40 Thu 26-Jun-14 10:24:50

sweet jesus, no.

EXH and i were ostentatiously ignored one year after we resisted attempts to press-gang us into sitting with 'all us Brits'. ugh.

Absolutely not. DH and I are regularly spend two weeks away without speaking to anyone other than a waiter. wonders why DC are introverts

unrealhousewife Thu 26-Jun-14 10:52:57

My dcs prefer going somewhere they can meet others. We met some great Dutch people camping last year who took the dcs surfing and speedboating.

RoganJosh Thu 26-Jun-14 10:56:16

No, but I'd rather be surrounded by people I might get on with a bit, just for a chat here and there. It's also a bit more interesting, in a smaller place, if you can understand what's going on and who's talking to who.

The children would like to make friends though.

TheGirlFromIpanema Thu 26-Jun-14 10:57:51

Is this one of those brit-snob 'things' then?

I never knew!
I always make friends on holiday, some you keep, some you don't. I am really surprised at some of the answers on here having just returned from the other side of the world with a whole clutch of new friends grin

Only1scoop Thu 26-Jun-14 11:00:02

No I don't....and I always get sat on the aircraft next to a resort 'expert' who has been visiting same place for an eternity and is usually overbearing....always hope they won't be in my hotel....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now