Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I found a hedgehog in the bath

(123 Posts)
crazygirluk Thu 26-Jun-14 06:02:40

...or rather my husband did.
I was sleeping peacefully at 5am when my husband woke me up with the confusing words "Did you put a hedgehog in the bath?"
Obviously I had no idea what he was talking about and kept asking if he was serious.
Well he was fucking serious. There was a hedgehog in the bath with no way to explain it.
We stared at it and tried to work out how it got in but there is literally no way. The bathroom window was latched on one side and painted closed on the other. The front door is locked with a pram stored in front of it. All other windows were locked.
The only difference about yesterday is that the man next door asked if he could go onto our roof to cut back a tree, which we agreed to. My family members who lived in this house before have always said he was a bit unusual but I've never seen evidence of it myself.
So does anyone have any ideas because I am freaked the hell out. My husband has just left for work and left me with two kids and my imagination is working overtime.
Someone must have put it there, mustn't they?
By the way, the only people in the house were me, my husband, my 4 year old and my 9 month old, so it's not a practical joke.

Transfiguration Thu 26-Jun-14 06:07:00

Sorry have nothing useful to add but a hedgehog how random is that!
What did you do with it?

Hurr1cane Thu 26-Jun-14 06:07:23

In the bath? It's hard enough for small children to get in there never mind a hedgehog, do you have any pets?

GobblersKnob Thu 26-Jun-14 06:09:27

Wtf???

Sorry, that's all I have grin

Where is it now?

springbabydays Thu 26-Jun-14 06:11:32

Makes a change from a spider! Seriously that's odd. I hope it was ok?

Have you asked your 4 year old? 4 nearly 5, or only just 4? Nearly 5 and I would place my bets on him or her...

crazygirluk Thu 26-Jun-14 06:13:00

We stared at it for a while and then used the bath mat to tip it into a box. We released it in the garden.
It was a perfectly healthy and alert hedgehog.
Only pet is a parrot.

crazygirluk Thu 26-Jun-14 06:15:06

My son is nearly 5 but he went to bed last night at 7 and we woke him up this morning to see a hedgehog in the bath.

springbabydays Thu 26-Jun-14 06:22:24

Hedgehogs are quite good climbers I think. Depends what there is around the bath? Doesn't answer how it got in the house though...

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Thu 26-Jun-14 06:22:51

How did your neighbour access your roof? Did he use a ladder from the outside or did you let him in?

WilliamShatner Thu 26-Jun-14 06:26:23

Did you get the poor creature out of the bath?

He might be thirsty and an enamel bath is cold and hard, so if he was placed there deliberately then it was rather cruel.

I expect he has been inside when a door was previously left open such as bringing in shopping and he has hidden until now.

But to be honest, my money is on one of the kids bringing it indoors as the bath is the easiest place to dump it and observe it.

Hope the hedgehog is ok.

crazygirluk Thu 26-Jun-14 06:34:07

I'm 100% sure my son didn't do it. He was out of the house all day and went to bed about 10 mins after we got home. Someone was with him all the time. Plus he doesn't like even going in the garden unless he's got company, he's my little shadow.
Neighbour got on roof from outside, he didn't come in.
The scariest thing is that I slept on the sofa last night so if someone got in, I was right there.

crazygirluk Thu 26-Jun-14 06:34:58

And yes, hedgehog seemed fine. Released into garden and had disappeared within a couple of minutes.

hesterton Thu 26-Jun-14 06:34:59

I can't see a four year old carrying a prickly wriggling hedgehog into a bath. Do you have stairs?

Maybe theres an air vent cover which has broken and the hedgehog investigated the warmth then somehow ended up tumblimg in the bath. She would have got trapped then.

Very strange!

WaitMonkey Thu 26-Jun-14 06:41:08

Very strange. I hope you find out how it got in.

winnertakesitall Thu 26-Jun-14 06:49:19

Have you got a cat flap?

crazygirluk Thu 26-Jun-14 06:53:33

No catflap. It's a downstairs bathroom so no stairs to get to it.
I cannot see a way in unless someone put it there.
I'm all jumpy at every noise now sad

Willyoulistentome Thu 26-Jun-14 07:18:21

Your opening words really made me chuckle.
I can well imagine the 05:00 am half asleep "did you put a hedgehog in the bath? " conversation.
I am cracking up thinking about this.
Glad the hedgehog is ok. Hope there is no sinister reason he was there.
I'd most definitely rather find a hedgehog than a spider.

Morloth Thu 26-Jun-14 07:23:43

I am so sorry but 5am 'did you put a hedgehog in the bath?' is just so random and funny. Why would he think you would put a hedgehog in the bath?

He has probably wandered in previously and been hiding and as a PP suggested went looking for a drink and got stuck in the bath.

Just because you found him today doesn't mean he hasn't been in the house a lot longer.

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jun-14 07:27:18

I watched a hedgehog out out back once. It was happily climbing over 6ft woiden fences, over sheds, over ladders. I was surprised how agile it was. So they are good climbers, but apart from that I have no idea grin

Rachie1986 Thu 26-Jun-14 07:36:57

Weird!

I'm thinking this might be one of those forever insolvent mysteries... Which would be a shame :-(

TheThreeCheesesOfTheApocalypse Thu 26-Jun-14 07:39:30

I bloody love hedgehogs envy

Quodlibet Thu 26-Jun-14 07:42:48

OP I am sure you don't need to worry about intruders putting the hedgehog in the bath. Much much more likely that the hedgehog found his own way in and climbed in the bath and couldn't get out again.

crazygirluk Thu 26-Jun-14 07:43:48

Well I prefer the idea that it got in by itself rather than being put there by someone. Much better than a malicious hedgehog planting. There's a sentence I never imagined saying grin
I'm amazed no one saw it though. I'm not talking about a small hedgehog, it was surprisingly big.

HoneyDragon Thu 26-Jun-14 07:45:05

Hedgehogs are fast, competent climbers. We used to get the odd visitor in our offices and factory.

In this weather it's more feasible that a hedgehog waltzed in without you noticing than your neighbour has some kind of mission impossible dangler device and bag full of erinaceidae.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now