Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

trypophobia and horrible picture on Facebook

(42 Posts)
LittleMisslikestobebythesea Wed 25-Jun-14 22:29:00

I didn't even know my phobia of things with small holes was a thing until I came on here!

On Facebook there is a link people are posting with a horrible picture, with lots of holes. Every time I see it in my newsfeed it makes me gag, but it's hard to avoid as people keep putting it on.

Yes, I saw it a few moments ago and now I can't sleep, it's there every time I shut my eyes. Bloody horrible.

BreadForBrains Wed 25-Jun-14 22:30:49

Waaaahh!! I think it's a video but can't click on it!
I don't think I have the pphobia but I find that revolting and it does turn my stomach.
envy < that's a vom face.

Jenda Wed 25-Jun-14 22:30:53

Horrible isn't it !!

MaidOfStars Wed 25-Jun-14 22:31:00

Avoid Facebook. Sorted.

It is a fake picture though, I've seen it before on something else ages ago and it had an explanation.

Id managed to suppress the memory of it until this evening.

TheDuchessOfSalford Wed 25-Jun-14 22:33:57

I don't even have that phobia but it took about 4 days for me to stop picturing it constantly after I first saw it. It made me feel sick too. Even now, 2 weeks on, the memory of it is making me feel queasy, although the mental image isn't as vivid.

There's something about it that is just so disturbing.

Me too! I hate it, I feel all itchy!

TheDuchessOfSalford Wed 25-Jun-14 22:35:32

It is fake, Eleanor. I first saw it on Snopes as it's at the bottom of the explanation about it.

FelixFelix Wed 25-Jun-14 22:35:49

Oh good grief you've reminded me about it! confused

WilliamShatner Wed 25-Jun-14 22:36:50

We have had several threads about this, so obviously a lot of people are affected by it. One poster even put the pic/video on a thread. Whilst I don't have this fear, I fully understand other people's phobias and I reported the post and it was removed.

Please don't anyone else post the pic on this thread.

As for facebook, it is a fake but you could make your settings that no one posts to your facebook and nothing will appear on your feed. Or just avoid facebook as it's mostly full of rubbish like these pics.

HillyHolbrook Wed 25-Jun-14 22:38:09

Is it the boob one? I don't have this phobia but I saw it a few days ago and thought of the poor MN'ers who do!

PlateSpinningAtAllTimes Wed 25-Jun-14 22:40:06

I was just about to start a thread about the same thing! I can't bring myself to watch the video but the picture has made me horrified yet slightly obsessed. Can't get it out of my head- I wish there were such a thing as brain bleach.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Wed 25-Jun-14 22:41:39

Its horrible and I don't have this phobia. I have not been able to cut into a papaya since either. It just makes me feel awful.

PlateSpinningAtAllTimes Wed 25-Jun-14 22:46:19

Ah! Papaya! Is that what it is? Thank fuck for that. I was envisaging some kind of insect larvae burrowing their way out of someone's skin <vom>. Now I can sleep at night!

sewinghomey Wed 25-Jun-14 22:47:31

Saw that imagine years ago. I couldn't' eat for the rest of the day. Made me feel really nauseous and ill! Disgusting image.

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Wed 25-Jun-14 22:48:38

It's papaya? <faints> I can't bear to click on the link!

Sorry for reminding people, it's the sort of thing you can't unsee isn't it! <shudder>

CorusKate Wed 25-Jun-14 22:48:59

It's just a picture of a flower seed-head merged with a picture of a breast, thankfully - nothing horrible.

mawbroon Wed 25-Jun-14 22:49:39

I know phobias are often irrational, but does anybody know why this can have such an effect on people?

Is there some instinctive thing to make us scared of it?

This is one that doesn't bother me at all, yet some buttons make me feel sick! confused

TheDuchessOfSalford Wed 25-Jun-14 22:53:36

It's something to do with the merging though, CorusKate. A seedhead wouldn't bother me in the slightest but in that context it makes me feel physically ill.

I haven't seen the papaya one so don't know if that would affect me or not but I'm not sure I really want to check!

PlateSpinningAtAllTimes Wed 25-Jun-14 22:53:49

I don't think I have that phobia- but I guess the rational explanation is that it is linked with images of rashes and disease. I just googled trypophobia and really wish I hadn't...

MikeLitoris Wed 25-Jun-14 22:53:54

Same here. I've never understood that phobia but those pictures are revolting. It took me days to get the first one of my head and then another popped up today. I feel sick and can't stop picturing it. I'll dream about it tonight too.

CorusKate Wed 25-Jun-14 22:55:27

Yep Duchess, I agree it's horrible. But if it's the picture in thinking of (I don't know of a papaya one), I felt better about it once I knew exactly what it was.

CorusKate Wed 25-Jun-14 22:55:57

*I'm thinking of

Singsongmama Wed 25-Jun-14 22:59:12

I thought I was the only one in the world who had this phobia. For years I wasnt able to cut open peppers and I still really struggle with melon. DH needs to deal with it.
I think it stems from playing on the beach when I was young and seeing rocks covered in barnacles, so repulsive. Shudder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now