Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Just been lurking on Gransnet - should I join even though I'm not a gran and hope not to be one for a good while?

(18 Posts)
MardyBra Wed 25-Jun-14 20:56:47

Plus sides:

It's just that they all seem so nice and friendly and even AIBU over there is totally polite. I couldn't find a single bunfight. Even in a thread about tattoos, the worst it gets is: "Goodness Margaret, you sound very intolerant!"

There's no namechanging so trolls will find it harder presumably.

They'd be able to give me menopause tips.

They have sweet threads in chat where they all say "good morning" to each other and say what the weather is like in their area.

Downsides:

I'm not sure if I could manage without the swearing, and I haven't found the crazy humour of MN yet.

There's a whole section on knitting.

The feminism section seems to be a bit quiet.

I couldn't find a single bunfight. grin

MardyBra Wed 25-Jun-14 20:59:56

Mind you, the threads by the grandparents who have been cut out of their childrens' lives are heartbreaking.

How about a Fondant Fancy Fight?

Maybe a little less agressive and less painful.

Afterwards you could kiss and make up and hand round a bag of treacle toffee.

MardyBra Wed 25-Jun-14 21:08:18

grin at Fondant Fancy Fight.

Maybe even a Petits Fours Feud.
Or a Scones Scrap.

Rock-cake Rumble.

Actually that could get nasty - especially those really hard ones with the sticky-out bits of burnt sultana.

Waves! Hello, we're lovely and friendly on the Mumsnet Local sites too. Do pop in for [coffee], cakeand sometimes even wine!wink.

MardyBra Wed 25-Jun-14 21:16:16

That's very kind of you Merton. Unfortunately I'm not in your area. I'm on my local site, but it's a bit quiet (mainly questions about toddlers/primary schools and mine are teens).

MardyBra Wed 25-Jun-14 21:18:06

They've got a grandads' shed over there talc. I bet we could cadge some Werthers off the old boys.

MardyBra Wed 25-Jun-14 21:20:33

There's one poor gransnetter who parked in a P&C space because she thought she was picking up a GC and got attacked by what sounds like a MNer in full loon mode.

FruVikingessOla Wed 25-Jun-14 21:25:58

The OP of this thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2106918-Those-of-you-on-MN-and-GN-do-you-have-a-preference-and-why thinks that Gransnet is "mean, personal and petty" wink

LocalEditorLancashire Wed 25-Jun-14 22:04:31

Where are you mardybra? Not exact location, I have teens and you'd be welcome on our local board, fancy a day at a beach hut?

LocalEditorLancashire Wed 25-Jun-14 22:06:48

A link may help it sound less like a random suggestion day in a beach hut?

BIWI Wed 25-Jun-14 22:09:55

I'm on both - I joined Gransnet from the beginning to help get it going - but I stopped posting after a vigorous debate about swearing and why it was a good thing. I realised that they needed to set their own tone and create their own space.

And then I was glad I didn't feel like I belonged there because it meant I was still young enough to stay here grin

chantico Wed 25-Jun-14 22:15:44

There is a Menopause topic right here on MN.

I'm a great aunt, so sometimes wonder about going over to GN. But as my youngest DC is still in primary, it might be a while yet.

Lesuffolkandnorfolk Wed 25-Jun-14 22:44:26

Come and join Mumsnet Local Suffolk and Norfolk- we are starting to get folks on our talk boards and we're really friendly. I am so happy to meet new Mumsnetters that I will lavish you with love and free review tickets and products

solongfrankl Wed 25-Jun-14 23:03:43

GN is more democratic IMO because as yet there's no GN orthodoxy - all shades of opinion can be expressed freely, except views which are not acceptable in mainstream society like racism. People still to some extent jump down other people's throats, but not to the point of hounding.

MardyBra Thu 26-Jun-14 14:59:23

"I was glad I didn't feel like I belonged there because it meant I was still young enough to stay here"

I don't think I could hack the no swearing regime tbh. I do like a carefully placed expletive. Thanks for all the input. smile

MiaowTheCat Thu 26-Jun-14 15:55:22

Hang on - a whole section on knitting.... if there's crochet as well I'm off... never mind the fact I ain't even 40 and my kids are under 3 - if there's yarn afoot - see you suckers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now